Need advice for 5k/10k races - rest/nutrition/warmup - days leading up and race day

Options
I got a race coming up soon. Not sure if I'll do a 5 or 10 this time. Usually run a sub 20min 5k or 41min 10k. Looking for advice leading up to the run. I tend to run a lot so wondering what some seasoned racers do leading up in terms of rest days, food intake (macros, eat in surplus?) and even race day eating/warm up advice! Usually stretch and run. Wonder if any warm up jogs would help as well?

Thanks

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your times are so amazing you should be sharing your tips with the rest of us!
  • sharon111469
    sharon111469 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd say easy runs leading up. I don't really change my eating for 5ks, but 10ks I might watch a few days before. Nothing new or heavy the night before. If you are looking to PR, then I'd say do some strides and warm up well before the race. Then hit it and PR!!
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Your times are so amazing you should be sharing your tips with the rest of us!

Haha thanks. I've certainly learned there is always someone faster but fun to try and improve. I want to do a sub 40 10k someday . It's amazing how much faster to shave off a minute is needed.
    I'd say easy runs leading up. I don't really change my eating for 5ks, but 10ks I might watch a few days before. Nothing new or heavy the night before. If you are looking to PR, then I'd say do some strides and warm up well before the race. Then hit it and PR!!

Thanks for the tips. What are strides? For easy runs keep to only a few k and slower pace? Is it better to not run at all a day or two leading up?

Funny thing is I also brisk walk on non run days. And that makes me way stiffer than running. Will need to stop those leading up too.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    For race weeks, I will do a medium tempo with the last mile(s) at goal race pace 3-6 days out. Or 400s / 800s. The other days, easy runs. Easy run day before 6-10mi.

Race day for 5k: wake up, glass of water, run. 10k: wake up, water, cliff bar 30min before race, run.

Shooting for low 19 and 39:59 later this year.
  • powered85
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    For race weeks, I will do a medium tempo with the last mile(s) at goal race pace 3-6 days out. Or 400s / 800s. The other days, easy runs. Easy run day before 6-10mi.

Race day for 5k: wake up, glass of water, run. 10k: wake up, water, cliff bar 30min before race, run.

Shooting for low 19 and 39:59 later this year.

Thanks. For day before are you running 6 to 10 miles easy run? For what distance race?

The last 2 days before are where I'm most stuck in terms of balancing rest vs condition.

Good luck on the sub 40! I'm hoping to get at least one someday.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    @powered85 I usually do an easy run the day before 5k and 10k races. For HM and full marathon, I take a day off. If I feel tired / sore, I will rest multiple days until race day. An extra rest day never hurts.

This is an avg race week: Mon: easy run, Tue: speed work, Wed: easy run or rest, Thu: tempo, Fri: easy run, Sat: easy run or rest, Sun: race.

Thanks! It's a bit away, but I'm working hard! You're right there! Keep it up!
  • powered85
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    @powered85 I usually do an easy run the day before 5k and 10k races. For HM and full marathon, I take a day off. If I feel tired / sore, I will rest multiple days until race day. An extra rest day never hurts.

This is an avg race week: Mon: easy run, Tue: speed work, Wed: easy run or rest, Thu: tempo, Fri: easy run, Sat: easy run or rest, Sun: race.

Thanks! It's a bit away, but I'm working hard! You're right there! Keep it up!

Thanks again. I find it tough to take days off sometimes but will do that. Oddly I do brisk walking on non run days and that makes me more stiff than running! Will definitely avoid that leading up to the race.

I think I can get a low 19 5k this year but sub 40 10k will be much tougher :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    these are short races. I do nothing special for these. I just eat well the day before and hydrate. Our races start where I live between 6:30 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. so I do these runs fasted.
  • powered85
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    these are short races. I do nothing special for these. I just eat well the day before and hydrate. Our races start where I live between 6:30 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. so I do these runs fasted.

I think one of the main concerns is having a good b-room trip before the run. Especially in the 10k. Any tips for helping avoid any issues in that realm?