sets and reps question

I just started this work out regime- https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
In the workout guide it says to do 3 sets of 6-12 reps, I didn't notice that it said 3 sets, and I have been doing 2 sets between 8-12 reps. This is my first week on it so I have had to experiment on the weight some. On most of the exercises I didn't go to failure, I stopped when I thought I would fail if I did it again. I couldn't do 3 sets on the weight I was using. So my question is should I keep going with two sets at the higher weight, or lower the weight and do 3 sets?

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I would follow the program. Don't stop when you get to muscle failure. Those last 3-4 reps are the most beneficial to strength and muscle growth. It may burn, but fight through it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If this is your first foray into lifting, I'd say stick with 2 sets and make it a goal to work up to another set. 8-12 reps is inside the 6-12 rep range so that is fine.

Stopping before failing a rep is fine. Some people like going to failure. I prefer stopping just short of it just as you've been doing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I would follow the program. Don't stop when you get to muscle failure. Those last 3-4 reps are the most beneficial to strength and muscle growth. It may burn, but fight through it.

How does one not stop once they've reached muscle failure?

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    If this is your first foray into lifting, I'd say stick with 2 sets and make it a goal to work up to another set. 8-12 reps is inside the 6-12 rep range so that is fine.

Stopping before failing a rep is fine. Some people like going to failure. I prefer stopping just short of it just as you've been doing.

Awesome advice.
    DavPul wrote: »

Assisted reps perhaps?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Gawd, why do programs prescribe 3 sets for every exercise, regardless of the size of the muscle group or its functionality.
    Anyway, 2 sets is perfect the first week if you haven't lifted recently. Try for 3 next week. :+1:
  • cgvet37

He said he stops before he thinks he's going to fail. Even if I can't do a full rep, I will try to reach my rep count. I think failure is often misunderstood.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    How frequently one should lift until they reach muscle failure is often misunderstood
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    While body builders often go to failure (is your goal big muscles) but strength athletes rarely do. At the world champion/Olympic level they only do it for competition. Here is an eye opener. Easy Strength
  • cgvet37
    How frequently one should lift until they reach muscle failure is often misunderstood

I agree that one should not always work to failure, but should not be afraid of it either.