What should be the biggest meal of the day?

Options
jade097
jade097 Posts: 9 Member
Bigger breakfast and lunch or a big dinner?

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My lunches and dinners are pretty close. Play around and see what works best for you. When do you notice you're most hungry?
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Technically, dinner is always the biggest meal of the day, whether it's eaten at either midday or evening. That's why you can have a big "Sunday dinner" right after church, and then a light "supper" in the evening. LOL, language nerd, that's me. ;)

I prefer to have my biggest meal in the evening. But there's no hard and fast official rule about what "should" be the biggest meal. Whatever works for you.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    My biggest meal is usually in the middle of the day. For many people, breakfast is small or non-existent due to early morning rush, but this is not a good habit.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for your hunger and lifestyle. Mine tends to be breakfast or my bedtime snacks.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    My biggest meal is usually in the middle of the day. For many people, breakfast is small or non-existent due to early morning rush, but this is not a good habit.

Why is that?

For me, I have the evening meal as my largest.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Meal timing has no impact on weight loss, and many people don't eat in the morning because it either makes them ill or they tend to eat more throughout the day.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many calories I have left at dinner time. I adjust accordingly (sometimes dinner can be pretty meager).
  • meganlc0
    meganlc0 Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like to have a bigger dinner or snack in the evening so I save a lot of calories for that because when I'm relaxing at home I want to snack and feel full. If that weren't true I'd likely eat a bigger lunch and smaller dinner so that I'm not full when I go to bed for digestion reasons.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Whatever works best for you. Mine is usually dinner.

Yup ^^^^this
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Excuse me?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. I usually have a glass of soy milk in the morning when I'm in a rush, then a good-sized snack mid morning as well as an afternoon snack. If I have a couple of snacks during the day, I avoid hunger and cravings. And eating a light breakfast has had absolutely zero impact on my weight loss success.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. For me I save most if not all of my calories for dinner and dessert/late night snacks. Works for me.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

Excuse me?

Not sure which bit you're questioning but:
    1) It has been suggested that breakfast should be a significant meal because it comes after the longest period of fasting (not eating) in each day. Many people seem not to have the time for it.
    2) Most of my life has been Breakfast, Dinner, Supper, rather than Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Just the way it worked out for me, and I wouldn't change it now. I've also heard its not good to eat a very heavy meal just before going to bed. Some set a 7:00pm limit, some say 9:00pm. (Some are now starting to cook dinner at that time and eating at 10:00pm or later!!)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Excuse me?

1) It has been suggested that breakfast should be a significant meal because it comes after the longest period of fasting (not eating) in each day. Many people seem not to have the time for it.
    2) Most of my life has been Breakfast, Dinner, Supper, rather than Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Just the way it worked out for me, and I wouldn't change it now. I've also heard its not good to eat a very heavy meal just before going to bed. Some set a 7:00pm limit, some say 9:00pm. (Some are now starting to cook dinner at that time and eating at 10:00pm or later!!)

There are people who fast for 16-20 hours and only eat in the afternoon/evening. It's still personal preference. As for eating heavy late, as long as it doesn't cause any issues while sleeping (such as GERD), that also isn't a problem. I rarely eat dinner before 7, and sometimes as late as 9:45-10.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Excuse me?

There are people who fast for 16-20 hours and only eat in the afternoon/evening. It's still personal preference. As for eating heavy late, as long as it doesn't cause any issues while sleeping (such as GERD), that also isn't a problem. I rarely eat dinner before 7, and sometimes as late as 9:45-10.

This. So much this. Meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss; meal timing is only relevant as it impacts adherence. If you find you do better sticking to your calorie goal with a big breakfast and smaller meals later in the day, do that. I'm the opposite, and my biggest meal is late in the day, usually around 8:30 or 9.

The leangains website is a good resource if you would like to learn more about people who load their calories into the later part of the day/evening. www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html
  • SaliDale
    SaliDale Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    All of them :)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I log the most calories to snacks.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options

My nearly 90 lb weight loss with almost no early morning meals, and normally only two daily meals, disagrees with your opinion. My body doesn't know what 'meal' I may or may not be eating.

And to the OP, like many others have said, you just need to figure out what works best for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I save the majority of my calories for dinner and dessert. I'm always done with eating for the day by 6pm, because i don't really eat during the day I get hungry early, plus I'm usually in bed by 7-7:30 to read or watch tv in my bedroom.