Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Need Some Advice On Strength Training

I've been engaging in real exercise and fitness since May 2015. I came home from college and weighted 186, I gained that Freshman 20 everyone talks about. So, I found this app, tracked my food, lower my calorie intake, changed up my nutrition for healthier foods and went to my local gym. Now I am about 145 now and I'm glad to lose that weight. I wanted to focus more on BF than weight. I hate using the word "Tone" because it's a word the fitness world doesn't recognize as a real objective. But I would like to improve my muscular development. I already have plan days for upper body and cardio, but I have zero plans for strengthening for legs. I have large thighs and the image of that sets me back from doing any kind of leg exercises because I do not want them to get bigger. I want my legs to be more lean if possible. I'd also like my abdominals to appear more structured and visable. I'm new to strength training compared to cardio. I have seen some improvement in my physique but I am still new to this type of program. Any advice for me that will help me achieve that lean muscular physique for both upper and lower body?

Replies

• mostwhimsicalchap
    mostwhimsicalchap Posts: 24 Member
    Long story short, more strength = more muscle

With the exception of the adaptation period when you're body is learning to recruit maximum muscle fibers for a neural pattern, any serious strength training will add on size. I would be more inclined to suggest taking up running or cycling to "tone" your lower body. You could still gain some size this way, but your emphasis will be on muscular endurance and slow twitch fibers. If you're opposed to those activities and want to stick to weights, I suppose any lower body lifts with moderate weight and med-high reps could also work. Who knows how your specific body will react so the best method is get out there and start experimenting to find out which works best for you. Happy training!
  • mostwhimsicalchap
    mostwhimsicalchap Posts: 24 Member
    Also to add the latter part of your question, trying lean out is more of a question of fine tuning your diet to lose that extra BF