Single dad... Completely overwhelmed

Options
2»

Replies

• vmsolko
    vmsolko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for taking these first steps!
    It does sound like you have a lot on your plate. Parents are all busy, but throw in single-parenting and special needs... I can't imagine the stress.

I started MFP and working out when I had 3 kids under the age of 4, and was nursing my last child (which is basically a part-time job...haha). My biggest piece of advice is to do something small exercise-wise every day. Even if it is just 10 minutes. I was already doing walks, so I wanted to do something more physical than that. I found a free workout site with great videos. (www.hasfit.com) I always pass along this site to anyone interested because I love that the creator (coach Kozak) and his wife are extremely enouraging. I have watched tons of videos from different sources, but I like that they explain form and aren't annoying. lol You choose videos based on your need (low impact, beginner, etc), type (HIIT, kickboxing, cardio, etc) or body area (arms, legs, etc). Also Fitness Blender is a great place to start so you can customize what you want to do and for how long. Doing a 10 minute video can burn WAY more than a walk. And if you can't get out of the house or the weather is bad, you can still get it done. I did 10-15 min videos for probably the first 3 months along with logging and was consistently losing a pound a week pretty easily.

Making small changes that you can actually maintain will go a long way versus dramatic changes that are overwhelming and you quit a week later.
    Best of luck!
    Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in and say that there has been a ton of great advice so far. Look at all the people on MFP rooting for you and are here for support!

One quote "Don't beat yourself up if you have the occasional slip-up" really rings true. I just want that to be seen again. You're on a path for a different, exciting future--and there indeed may be slip-ups, but stay true to your vision, and you will see success. You're off to a terrific start!!!

And remember to keep it simple--use MFP for logging food; incorporate fun activities with your kids. As you get settled in a new routine, you can think about other things to add into your daily life; it does NOT have to be complicated by a bunch of diet and exercise parameters (this food, not that! high-intensity, not steady-state!)--just start out by burning more calories than you take in. Calories in, calories out. Add a little movement to increase that deficit; monitor your food to make sure that deficit exists, and most of all, have fun with your kids and have a great life!

Check back in with us to let us know how you're doing!

• Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I hope today was off to a good start for you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your hands are full! Good for you for wanting to make positive changes to your health and well being. I encourage you make small changes step by step, don't do too much at once til you see how you can fit it all together.

The best quote for me the last 2 years during my weight loss and fitness journey has been: "Small daily improvements are the key to staggering long term results." Robin Sharma. It's TRUE!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hi Micheal! Congratulations on beginning a new healthy lifestyle!
    It sounds like you really have your hands full at the moment and I can see how it could get very stressful for you. Im so sorry you and your boys have been through abuse. It sounds like your taking the right steps though( going to therapy)
    We're all here for you anytime! It's always okay to vent here! Welcome!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add- hugs! Xxx after reading your post, I just wanted to reach out and give you and those boys a big hug!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Kids respond well to music, and I find it to be uplifting and energizing. Turn it up and dance around! Also, finding some activities you can all do together: taking walks, hiking, bike riding...Have fun!
  • chimonetabron2014
    chimonetabron2014 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congrats Michael for making the choice to start this journey! It will be hard but it is VERY worth it. Stay positive and remember that progress is definitely a process. Every bit counts. You can do this!! :)
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you and your children have to go through this, my father was abusive to myself and my mom so I know that it's rough. I hope you can all get through it.

That being said, I'm glad you're taking a step to do something for yourself. My advice: do small things that will help you in the long run. Add in a walk once every few days or go the long way on a walk that you already take. Skip dessert or a snack once or twice a week. Keep trying to improve your current situation until you feel as though you're ready to make big changes. I would also suggest getting your kids involved in anything you're doing! Have them workout with you or help you find healthy meals they want to eat.

I hope this helps, and I'm going to leave you with a really good quote that sums up what I am basically saying
    "Success is the sum of small efforts-repeated day in and day out."

Best of luck!