Pedometer Input?

Options
fitgirldc
fitgirldc Posts: 55 Member
Hey, just wondering if there is a way to log walking for the day? I generally reach between 11,000 and 12,000 steps. The options for walking wants a time in order to calculate your burn. Thx!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    fitgirldc wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering if there is a way to log walking for the day? I generally reach between 11,000 and 12,000 steps. The options for walking wants a time in order to calculate your burn. Thx!

A couple things. Your activity level already gives you some credit for some steps, so logging 100% of your steps as exercise is going to give you waaay too many calories. Also, calorie burns are estimates add to that you are trying to log a walking speed (yet another estimate).

What many people do is amp up their activity level setting in MFP. That will bump up your calories.

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

A FitBit or other "synced" device would give you credit for steps above & beyond your stated activity level.
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been using a pacer app fitgirl, it syncs with MFP but I discovered yesterday that it over counts, if anyone had been watching what I was doing with my phone to discover this they'd have thought I was mental, but anyway whatever you use make sure you watch it counting every now and then or you could end up being way out on your calorie stats
  • fitgirldc
    Options
    Thanks for the tip bladebiker! Haven't included my other activities because MFP keeps increasing the amount of calories I can eat! It's already scolding me for not eating enough! Ugh!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    fitgirldc wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip bladebiker! Haven't included my other activities because MFP keeps increasing the amount of calories I can eat! It's already scolding me for not eating enough! Ugh!

That's how the program is designed. It's so that you lose 0.5-2lbs per week even if you don't exercise. When you workout, you increase the deficit and having too large of a deficit isn't a good thing (it will result in loss of lean body mass, possible malnutrition, fatigue, and even becoming hangry).

For example:
    I have an estimated TDEE of 2377 based on my activity for the day.
    If I set MFP to lose 1 lb per week it gives me 1300 based on thinking I will only have a TDEE of 1800 unless I exercise.
    To keep at a 500 calorie deficit, I should eat closer to 1800.
    If I eat the 1300 and nothing more, I will increase my deficit to 1077. While this would be fine for someone heavier than me, I am at the point that a deficit that large means my body is going to start using my lean body mass (muscle, organs, etc) as well as fat for fuel. Sure I will lose weight, but my body composition is unlikely to change or could even get worse.
  • fitgirldc
    Options
    Hey shadow2soul! I definitely get the logic. I just can't see eating if I'm not hungry. (I'd luv to see what hangry looks like lol!) Plus eating more makes me gain (no gallbladder slows dwn my digestion, trying bile salts now) I am a student so I'm not super active other than my workouts. I've gained muscle, have more stamina and hair is growing faster. I'm thinking I may have to use this as a basic food diary? At least it made me see I need to find more proteins to incorporate in my diet.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you'd log it either. My only exercise is walking, but i don't do a huge walk once a day that I could easily measure, i do 30 minutes blocks of power walking all day long, it would be impossible to log.
    My only advice would be to set yourself as lightly active or get an activity tracker that syncs with MFP. I have a fitbit, it's set and forget and the best part is NO maths involved :tongue:
  • fitgirldc
    Options
    Thanks TeaBea! I think it is time to get fitbit. I turn on pedometer when I wake up. I do various "floor exercises" and I typically have a brisk walk/jog of 4-5 miles in the mornings. This is just my summer routine. Will be using the school gym in the fall again. Guess it's best if I don't log exercise. It might tell me I need 2000 calories and my middle aged metabolism can't handle it! Gonna get that FitBit!! Thanks!