My progress is slow

Options
Hello,

I have been starting my healthy lifestyle first of January 2013. I run 4/5 times a week and I have been starting some easy lifts from July 1st.

However I cheat a lot when comes to food. Although I have a diet plan from a nutritionist where I go twice a month, I cant/wont keep that plan. Yesterday night I went to movies in a mall and I ate at KFC.

How have you handled this? What can I do about it?

Thanks so much!
diana

Replies

• MCM455
    MCM455 Posts: 1
    Options
    Diana

Don't worry about your lapses. Just stick at it. Your body will adjust to your reduced calories intake so that any of these lapses won't affect your overall weight loss.

Keep positive and you'll be fine.

Good Luck.
    MCM455
    :flowerforyou:
  • mathstudent
    Options
    I had a similar problem, and found that watching my sugar and fat intake carefully on MFP has really helped. However, you have a nutritionists plan, so you shouldn't need to watch those things, so i'm a bit surprised. From the fact you add "won't" keep to the plan, i think it seems as if you don't really want to be on such a strict plan, so i would suggest you ask your nutritionist for alternatives that are tastier.

For example, i followed a nutritionists diet plan i found in a magazine, and one breakfast was an omlette with a chopped avocado. Apart from the avocado it was low in fat, so i decided the avocado was there to provide good fats. I didn't like avocado's, though. So i swapped it for cheese. Not such good fats, but so much tastier. I think it was a good decision.

By the way, i think it's totally ok to eat at kfc now and again, as long as you do it instead of another meal, and not as an additional snack (which i used to do with some fast food).

Congratulations on the running. It shows you are committed to losing weight and general health.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    How many calories has your nutritionist set you at? If you are struggling to stick to your goal then it may be that your goal has been set too low.

Bear in mind the nutritionists are not dietitians and can practice as 'nutritionists' without any specific qualifications so what you are being told may only be her opinion, not science.

It is fine to eat foods that you enjoy. Many people using MFP eat whatever they like as long as it fits in their calorie goal (often referred to IIFYM - if it fits your macros).
  • mathstudent
    Options

Don't worry about your lapses. Just stick at it. Your body will adjust to your reduced calories intake so that any of these lapses won't affect your overall weight loss.

I know that some people recommend cheat meals to increase metabolism, but aren't they supposed to be infrequent? Considering she says she cheats a lot, and her progress is slow, i'm inclined to believe that her cheating is affecting her weight loss. Especially as she exercises regularly too.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

It is fine to eat foods that you enjoy. Many people using MFP eat whatever they like as long as it fits in their calorie goal (often referred to IIFYM - if it fits your macros).

IIFYM is not really eating what you like, it's about eating sensibly within your macro goals, and if you then have spare within your macros for a treat that is all good.

http://iifym.com/
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I couldn't possibly stick with a strict diet plan either. There are plenty of good articles on IIFYM/flexible dieting out there and many threads on it on MFP. The point is to make sure that you hit your calorie goal, get adequate protein and good fat, and otherwise get sufficient nutrition (micronutrients and fiber). How you get there doesn't matter so long as you get there. This makes life a lot easier, for example, when you do decide to have a piece of fried chicken, as you can adjust the rest of your day around that to make it fit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with eating at KFC? I lost all my weight (50 pounds) eating at KFC, McDonald's, taco bell, and Subway every single day.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Slow to lose, means quick to maintain solidly, when you've finished.
    Maintenance is the most difficult :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I couldn't possibly stick with a strict diet plan either. There are plenty of good articles on IIFYM/flexible dieting out there and many threads on it on MFP. The point is to make sure that you hit your calorie goal, get adequate protein and good fat, and otherwise get sufficient nutrition (micronutrients and fiber). How you get there doesn't matter so long as you get there. This makes life a lot easier, for example, when you do decide to have a piece of fried chicken, as you can adjust the rest of your day around that to make it fit.

This is a good explanation of IIFYM.

It's not the same as just eating whatever you want. For example, today I really wanted a peanut butter sandwich. So I swapped it where I usually have cottage cheese and greek yogurt for lunch. But then my protein was going to be low so I added eggs to my breakfast.

I also think you could benefit from the 80/20 rule OP-- that 80% of your calories come from nutrient dense foods and 20% can be discretionary. For me that means I spend 340 calories per day on something like ice cream. That keeps me on track so that I can spend the rest of my calories getting my micronutrients and fiber, and of course meeting my macros.
  • SoulEater7
    SoulEater7 Posts: 31
    Options
    mmmmmm KFC, ha-ha next time call me!

The thing you will come to realise is that it takes a long time before you naturally opt for the "right" foods steer clear of the cravings, enjoy a cheat meal or even a cheat day once a week, if you eat "clean" all week then you deserve it and it feels great.

There are lots of wonderful things you can eat, maybe talk to your planner about adding in some things you really enjoy?

The main things is that your not giving up, even though your falling off the horse, your continuing to get back on, I've feel off so many times that it's crazy but after time it becomes a little easier, my weakness is crisps ha-ha to which i still have a problem with but my goals are always on my mind and if i mess up then I just come back twice as hard and it really does help.

It takes time to develop habits, keep up the good work and do your best.

Hit your Macros and don't turn it into a negative thing. Most of all enjoy it :)
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My progress is slow as well..don't feel bad. :ohwell:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Find a plan you can stick to and will work long term the one you're on obviously doesn't work for you
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

IIFYM is not really eating what you like, it's about eating sensibly within your macro goals, and if you then have spare within your macros for a treat that is all good.

http://iifym.com/

OK was probably a bit vague as didn't want to over complicate things for the OP. But yes I know it's not as simple as that. I guess I refer to it as 'eating what I want' because eating what I want involves eating things from a wide range of sources, some of which would be considered healthy, some not so much, as long as I meet my macros.
  • cvg1973
    cvg1973 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My progress has been very slow also-- I recently increased my calorie intake from 1200 to 1800 allowing 200-300 calories for a not so healthy snack (no candy, chips, or fast food) just something not so "clean" and so far it has been working for me-- just having that freedom knowing that if i crave something I can eat it and not be over my calories does wonders to the way I approach my eating. In the past month I have not lost any weight but i have lost inches. I have been reading a lot about TDEE but Im scare to raise my calories that much. I have to admit that 1800 calories of healthy & clean food is a lot and sometimes I cant eat them all.
  • Yourgoingtodothis
    Options
    I think you need to address the reasons why you need to cheat and do not follow the plan. Your running is fantastic so you have the exercise sorted just try harder to realise this is for you and it is you who chooses what to eat. I am no saint my downfall is crisp but to me this is a lifestyle change and if I want to get healthy I have to make changes and put the effort in. It has taken me 29 years to address my reasons for overeating and being overweight it was tough but I realised if I carry on I am sending myself to early grave! Harsh but true! You can see the health problems I have on my profile page.

Good Luck you can do this :smile:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I was a slow loser too, but that was on purpose. (About a half pound a week.) I wanted to take my time and do it the right way and I wasn't willing to do anything extreme or cut out any of my favorite foods. I haven't gained anything back and I've been on maintenance now for well over 2 years.

Don't do anything to lose the weight that you aren't willing to keep up for the rest of your life. Otherwise, your loss won't be sustainable. It's not a race and it shouldn't feel like a punishment. Take your time and do it right! :drinker:
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Low calorie/ restrictive diets cause more people to binge or fall off the wagon if you are getting the appropriate fuel for you life and workouts you wont feel the need to binge.

Rather than restricting yourself from things you like why not have a healthy relationship with food, work out why you over eat and binge and then once you have found the reason for it work on that.

People who have an unhealthy relationship with food tend to be more likely to yoyo. I myself was guilty of this and have spent the best part of this year learning about nutrition and along the way have realised food isn't my enemy but enables me to be as fit and athletic as possible

I hope you find the reason and it leads you to a happier and healthier life.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was a slow loser too, but that was on purpose. (About a half pound a week.) I wanted to take my time and do it the right way and I wasn't willing to do anything extreme or cut out any of my favorite foods. I haven't gained anything back and I've been on maintenance now for well over 2 years.

Don't do anything to lose the weight that you aren't willing to keep up for the rest of your life. Otherwise, your loss won't be sustainable. It's not a race and it shouldn't feel like a punishment. Take your time and do it right! :drinker:

100% TRUE

. Why are you paying a nutritionist and not following their advice ? Why is a nutritionist that you are paying not listening to you ?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You didn't put the weight on in only a short time so will take time to lose it..and there's nothing wrong with fast food if you fit it in your day.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds in about 2 years.....it is slow but I got there.

That bein said you have to commit and you do not sound like you are willing to make the right choices.