Ibuprofen and exercise

Options
GiddyupTim
GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
I have a question for all the NSAID experts.
I know that what I am doing is not smart. But.........I am a runner, so by definition, I tend to lack judgment and ignore prudence. It is just what we do when we run, because we run through pain and discomfort all the time, and that is not rational.
Anyway,
I have a Morton's neuroma, which, if you don't know, is an irritated nerve in the foot. It causes numbness, tingling, discomfort, and pain.
If you Google 'Morton's neuroma' you get: 'Oh gosh! That's a terrible thing. If it gets really bad, you'll have to have the nerve cut out.' But you don't get many recommendations for home care and initial treatment.
So, I've been pounding the ibuprofen. The problem with injuries like this is that the nerve gets inflamed and swollen, and it has to pass through a narrow space. When it is inflamed and swollen. it rubs as it passes through this narrow space and that keeps it irritated.
So it seems to me that if I keep that inflammation down, with heavy doses of ibuprofen, I break that vicious cycle and the neuroma settles down and heals a bit.
But, here's my question. I feel like I am not recovering in between runs.
Does anyone have any experience taking NSAIDs for extended periods of time? (I have been doing this about a week. Taking about 800 mg twice a day, sometimes a little more.) Did you find it interfered with your recovery from the gym or the road?
Thanks.

Replies

• ann1ta
    ann1ta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your taking an excessive dose and put yourself at risk from doing so.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    Thanks, Ann1ta. But I believe doctors prescribe ibuprofen at doses of 800 mg, three times daily, quite often. As I understand it, ibuprofen acts as an analgesic (pain killer) at doses below 400 mg, but not as an anti-inflammatory. For it to work as an anti-inflammatory, you need to take 400 mg or more, including 800 mg, and it is generally recommended that you take that dose three times a day.
  • ann1ta
    ann1ta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes but this is a short term measure, has your doctor prescribed this dose for you?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I took vitamin I at high doses due to back pain (self prescribed). It tends to eat away the lining of your digestive tract over time. I am now on a regular schedule to get checked for Barrett's esophagus.

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/guide/barretts-esophagus-symptoms-causes-and-treatments

Got to the point where I couldn't talk loudly, (like to the person next to you at a basketball game).

To be honest, back off and get the Morton's taken care of either with rest, PT, surgery or all of the above. I'm a life long exercise junkie and have learned to manage my back by improving my movement patterns. Not saying you can do this, but anything beats the heck out of abusing ibuprofen. Fix the root cause of the pain.

Just to add, I spent about 6 hours moving landscape rocks a month or so ago, back hurt. Held off for a week and took OTC doses of ibuprofen, wasn't helping. My general practitioner gave me 750 mg tablets of ibuprofen to take 2x a day an a muscle relaxer. On or both of them messed with my stomach so bad, I cut them out after 4-5 days. That or just time seemed to get the back to normal.

If you take high doses, which sometimes can reduce inflammation and allow healing, do it under doctors care and for a limited time,

Good luck.

PS, I looked at your profile. If you don't like the reading glasses. look into near vision correction. They laser one eye to see close up (reading) the other eye sees distance. Works great, best $2,000 I ever spent. Can also do a single contact for the same effect, but I had some issues with the contact.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hey friend *waves* I take that amount every month for two days each month... I think it's bad for your kidneys if u take it too much over a long period of time....

But I'm writing to ask you if you have ever tried taking Arnica? Arnica Pellets and Arnica gel? It is homeopathic and might help... The pellets you can find at Whole Foods in a little blue tube, you take 5 pellets and dissolve them under your tongue three times a day, the gel you can find at Walmart, Wallgreens and CVS, and they both don't taste or smell like anything. I'm wondering if you would try it for a day and see what you think, maybe it would help.
    I've been using it for years and I really like it.

@tufel
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Have you checked into an orthotic for your shoe? It doesn't solve the problem but can relieve some of the pressure on that nerve.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ice works better than NSAIDs for long term inflammation, and no side effects. My doctor swears by it too- she is very athletic.
    I ice up my knees, ankles, heels after heavy exercise. Feels miserable at the time, but wake up so much better the next day!
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    Thanks, guys.
    Yes, I have pads that I wear when I run. They work quite well. But, every once in a while, I overdo and it flares up.
    Um....actually, though......I really wasn't looking for any comment on whether or not ibuprofen was a fairly safe drug......I intend on doing this for only about a week.
    I was more interested in whether anyone had any experience on how taking ibuprofen might effect recovery from exercise. I am suspecting it does.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    Thanks, guys.
    Yes, I have pads that I wear when I run. They work quite well. But, every once in a while, I overdo and it flares up.
    Um....actually, though......I really wasn't looking for any comment on whether or not ibuprofen was a fairly safe drug......I intend on doing this for only about a week.
    I was more interested in whether anyone had any experience on how taking ibuprofen might effect recovery from exercise. I am suspecting it does.

If you have an issue, you would be better off taking a week or 2 off from the offending exercise, letting the medicine work instead of continuing to irritate the problem.

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I had a Morton's neuroma in my right foot and I did resort to surgery for it. I apparently also have a few smaller ones that are still there once the big one was gone.
    My strategies are all around shoes. I have to have shoes that are a wide fit with good cushioning under the ball of the foot. I don't think I could run the distances I do now (not long overall, but regular 10 - 12k runs on the weekend) if I hadn't had the surgery.
    As to your question about ibuprofen and recovery... I've had short periods where I've taken reasonable doses and have never noticed any difference in recovery that I can recall. It's a hard question though, because if I'm taking painkillers regularly (as opposed to an occasional thing) that's because I'm carrying an injury, so then it's impossible to remove that from the picture.
    I wouldn't expect the painkiller to affect recovery, but that sounds to me like a pretty clear signal from your body that you need to cut the distance and build in more rest days at this point in time.

Really though, the best thing to do would be to discuss all of this with your doctor - both the neuroma and the painkiller user.
  • GiddyupTim
    Options
    Thanks, people.
    Seems maybe ibuprofen can interfere with recovery.
    A very good friend pointed me in the direction of this blog, written by an orthopedic physician.
    He says that, as a study, they gave ultra-runners ibuprofen. They found that, contrary to expectation, the runners who took the ibuprofen before their ultra-runs had elevated markers of systemic inflammation after their race, and they were not any less sore the day after.
    He also makes the statement that: "NSAIDs have been found to eliminate the skeletal muscle adaptations that occur during and after exercise. That will have an effect on your ability to recover."
    He does not cite his source for that information. But he seems pretty reasonable and careful in what he writes so I am guessing he has one.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have degenerative disk disease in my cervical spine from a car wreck many years ago. After years of misdiagnosis & loads of different treatments, the flight surgeon I saw at my last USAF base (I'm a vet) said it was inflammation of the nerves that would periodically cause my pain. He tried me on indometacin, which worked great. Long term use is not good, but years later I still have it on prescription & take it for a day or 2 at the most when it acts up. Calms the inflammation down quickly. I take it very seldom so have no side effects. You might talk with your physician& see if that might help you.
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here's a couple of articles about ibuprofen and running:
    https://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/ibuprofen-and-running/ &
    https://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/anti-inflammatories-effective/.

Hope that provides some of the information that you're seeking.