Milk- Opinions appreciated..

Options
I have heard from different people on what type of milk is best.. Some say vit d is best because it has healthy days your body needs. But some day 1% is best and healthier

Replies

• satnavsaysstraighton
    Options
    When I was able to drink dairy milk, I took the opinion that I didn't care what the rest of the world thought. I would rather drink (or eat as in the case of cheese and yoghurt) less of what I actually liked them more of what I didn't. At the end of the day it's calories that count in weight loss and it is pointless eating and drinking things you don't like. It's not going to help.

Your body can actually manufacture it's own vitamin D. It only needs 20 minutes sunshine on your face, hands and forearms 3 times a week to get enough light on your skin to meet this need most of the year round unless you are above a certain latitude or for some reason can't expose your skin to sunshine. I appreciate you are in the USA, but there are only something like 4 months a year where the UK does not get enough sunshine at the correct angle to meet all of this requirement and most people can get enough from their diet, vegans being the exception. Have a look at the figures needed for your area of the USA, but I would be surprised if during summer there was an issue to worry about.

Also bear in mind that most cereal, bread, juices and other made foods are often fortified which means they have had vitamins and minerals added to them. Vit D is often one of these that is added because it is the current latest 'are you getting enough' trend/fad.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I prefer 1%...
    Always have even before weight loss. I also use almond milk at times now too.

Nutritionally all cow milk is pretty much the same, except for fat content.

Drink what you like☺
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    The best kind of milk for your body is non-dairy. No hormones, antibiotics, fat and junk
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, hazelnut milk... no pus, no blood, no bovine growth hormone, and no veal. Get off the dairy, you're not a calf.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The milk you like best and fits into your diet plan is best for you

This.

I drink either Fairlife whole or 2% or Hartzler (local dairy) 2% or whole non-homogenized. I lIke the taste and like them as protein sources. Soy, almond, rice, and coconut milks are white-ish liquids but don't taste the same or provide the same nutrition so they don't compare, for me.

But really, drink what you want.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    The best kind of milk for your body is non-dairy. No hormones, antibiotics, fat and junk

Milk doesn't contain antibiotics. If the cow is given them, then their milk must be dumped until they are clean. Also, nothing wrong with fat in your diet.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options

Milk doesn't contain antibiotics. If the cow is given them, then their milk must be dumped until they are clean. Also, nothing wrong with fat in your diet.

That's not true in practice. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/03/08/391248045/fda-tests-turn-up-dairy-farmers-breaking-the-law-on-antibiotics
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    tapwaters wrote: »

That's not true in practice. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/03/08/391248045/fda-tests-turn-up-dairy-farmers-breaking-the-law-on-antibiotics

In Ontario the farmers have no direct control in this area. When the milk is picked up a sample is taken from the bulk tank. When the truck arrives at the main plant those samples are all tested. If a sample tests as positive to antibiotics the milk is dumped and the farmer is fined and responsible for the price of the milk for all the farms where it was picked up. This is a huge incentive to make sure your milk is antibiotic and artificial hormone free. Also, in Canada, Bovine Growth Hormone is not approved for use.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any allergies or intolerances, then there is no reason to avoid dairy for health reasons. It can be a useful source of protein, calcium and other goodies. It's clearly not essential but also not harmful (barring specific allergies etc).

My suggestion is that you don't overthink this. If you listen to everything that you hear from different people, blogs etc then you would not eat anything, as just every kind of food has it's detractors.

Drink the milk that you like and that fits into your calorie and macro goals.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I do like the concept of "don't drink milk because there is blood in it. But can I have a steak please?"
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Personally, I go for almond milk, but that's more to do with my not liking the snotty texture of cow's milk (same reason you couldn't force feed me a banana). I'll eat literally all the cheese though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Depends on your preferences, goals, tastes, etc. what is best for you.
    I don't like drinking my calories but I prefer using full fat dairy products. I get vitatimn D whole milk. I use it in cooking or on the rare occasions when I eat cereal. My dd is the only one who ever drinks it.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's good with cereal I hear.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I don't usually drink straight milk anymore, but for cooking or coffee, I use whole milk. If I'm feeling lactose sensitive that day, I'll use lactaid whole milk.