Correcting squat form

Options
If using a smith machine but 2 small weights shoulder width apart where your feet would go. Then lean back to barbell with toes on weight and heels on floor. This helps shift weight to your hell
Adela and has helped correct positioning for me.

Replies

• hmotis
    hmotis Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What she said! You are doing your body a disservice by relying on a machine to do the squat for you.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Does your gym have a rack? If so Use it.

I am telling you from experience.

I used a planet fitness smith for 3.5 years up until yesterday. Yesterday I started training at a new gym with a barbell and rack. It is not the same. It is not the same. It is not the same.

In a smith I can squat 170lbs
    Reg squats I have to learn all over again I was squatting 75 lbs (including the bar)

If you can use a barbell do so.

If not use the smith, youtube some videos on how to use properly but never ever, ever think anything you do on a smith will translate to real life.

I am starting from scratch on my squat now I am humbled and sad I did this to myself. I used the equipment that was available to me at the time.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Using the smith for squats, as has been mentioned, is useless.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    don't use a machine for squats! Use a mirror. Also if you have trouble you may try sitting to a bench or a few weights until your comfortable balancing. If you use a machine for a squat, it really don't count...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    don't use a smith machine or a mirror. looking at yourself from the side - which is the only way to check on the angles - puts you in an incorrect position. either set up your camera to record you squatting naturally or ask a friend to do it .