How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
jade097
jade097 Posts: 9 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm not sure how often i should weigh myself. Daily? Weekly? Monthly?

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but that's due to me having to monitor my weight due to some of the medications I take.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Daily. Just because I want to.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after the loo and before eating or drinking anything.
    I use Trendweight to track my weight, so weighing daily helps with accurate data points.
  • lindarpolk
    lindarpolk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Most people say once a week, but when I did that I found myself thinking, "I can eat this and enjoy it now, then work out hard later." I would think, "I have __ days until I weigh in. I can work it all off by then. Of course, that hard workout never happened and I didn't lose much weight. I also was too impatient to wait until my weigh-in day. Weighing every day keeps me more accountable, so I make better choices every day. I know there will be many days when I have a loss instead of a gain, and I'm ok with that. There will always be ups and downs in weight loss. Seeing little losses often is more encouraging and motivating to me because losing inches takes a lot longer to see progress. Not everybody feels the same way. Do what every you feel comfortable with and whatever works for you.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Daily most of the time for me, first thing before coffee. It goes up-down a little, sunflowers seeds play hell with my salt intake and I swell like a balloon.
  • SaliDale
    SaliDale Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Never. Or shall I say very rarely.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning ... pretty much every day. Then again after a workout, but that isn't every day. I want to know how much water I should be drinking to recover what was lost because of the workout. Sometimes before I go to bed, it is interesting to know how much weight dropped while sleeping. (Normally not very much.)
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Most days, though I don't stress if I miss a few days. I prefer it this way, as it doesn't put any angst around a particular day of the week or the month as "weigh in day"... it's no big deal, just part of my morning routine.
  • musicalityrnb
    musicalityrnb Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just started weighing every day because I love data and I'd like to see my trends. I use HappyScale to track it and we shall see what trends appear over time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Most days, though I don't stress if I miss a few days. I prefer it this way, as it doesn't put any angst around a particular day of the week or the month as "weigh in day"... it's no big deal, just part of my morning routine.

lol exactly! I would be eyeing off that big red X on my calendar waiting and wondering what that stupid number is going to tell me, is it going to be a good day or a bad one...

• MishaWest79
    MishaWest79 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am weighing in every 2 weeks as I don't own any scales. The tape measure has been my go to and gives me good insight into my changing body, that plus I feel more energised and happy which scales can't measure, at least not yet :)
    I just started weighing every day because I love data and I'd like to see my trends. I use HappyScale to track it and we shall see what trends appear over time.

I had a MFP suggest adding a months worth of losses together and dividing by 4 to average it out, he tracks his year long trends that way. I think it is a fab idea and will start when I purchase scales. Thanks for sharing the HappyScale app off to install that now.

• helen_demun
    helen_demun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday BECAUSE that's how I hold myself accountable for any "cheat days". I have to know the numbers to stay motivated and on track. Right now I'm just focused on general weight loss, and I have a total obsession with not only nutrition but with data & recording numbers (nerd), so I look forward to weighing myself and recording it everyday! Also so I know the trends of my losses and gains and how that is connected to my diet and choices.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I weigh on a Saturday in the morning before eating/drinking anything. I tried weighing every day for a while but found that the small daily fluctuations were stressing me out. I also tend to track calories over a week rather than daily i.e. Monday I might be over 300 cals then Tuesday I'll be under, so weighing weekly suits this better.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I weigh every day for all the reasons previously mentioned! I would suggest for anybody who wants to weigh themselves, to do it either once per day or once per menstrual cycle (or per month if you are male, or female and not fertile), at the same time, the same scales, and under similar conditions (similar clothing, after bathroom, before breakfast). Step on the scales twice; ideally it should display the exact same number both times. Log it, and don't dwell on it.

The problem with weekly weigh-ins (I hope that trend dies, soon) is that it's not enough time to see any real change in fat loss or gain - healthy weight loss for a person who is not morbidly obese is so slow, and modern digital scales so accurate, that a week's loss may not be discernible from water weight fluctuations, but long enough to lose focus (I can eat less tomorrow instead), and build up anxiety, and you lose so many data points - you may be having a "low" day one week and a "high" day next week, and think you've gained or not lost, and "give up" because it "doesn't work", and that is not going to help you lose weight.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Becca_250 wrote: »
    I weigh on a Saturday in the morning before eating/drinking anything. I tried weighing every day for a while but found that the small daily fluctuations were stressing me out. I also tend to track calories over a week rather than daily i.e. Monday I might be over 300 cals then Tuesday I'll be under, so weighing weekly suits this better.

This is an exception and a differerent method that might work. Thanks for sharing.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Everyday. Everyday. Probably forever.
  • Tegan_the_Vegan
    Tegan_the_Vegan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Once a week because it's winter here and I am very rarely naked in the mornings lol. Too cold!!!
  • kommodevaran
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Once a week because it's winter here and I am very rarely naked in the mornings lol. Too cold!!!

You can weigh yourself in your pyjamas every day.
    Oh, maybe you sleep naked, then never mind :D