Just started maintenance and gained straight away

Options
Hey, I'm 2lbs up over the w/end which I'm fairly sure is water weight as I've eaten a lot more than normal (without 'going') and I've been to the gym both days so I'm a bit sore. On maintenance at what point do you act in gains, normally my water weight goes after a few days but if it doesn't do I need to look at fewer calories? How long has it taken you all to get the balance right?

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Erm, slightly terrified at the though of putting on (and keeping on) that much...are you sure??
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Can't see anything there about glycogen or magically gaining 5lbs when you hit maintenance?
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    hmm. oh dear, it must have been another article then. I'll find it!
  • hararayne
    Options
    this has similar information but is not the forum post that I'm thinking of, none-the-less it should be helpful to a degree
    http://justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • hararayne
    Options
    I think I see what happened. The original article was updated in 2013. I have a printed copy of what it originally said because it had a lot of information that helped mentally, rather than just assisted with the main points of setting up your weight loss plan. Since it's been updated, it's far more to the point but some of the mental support it offered is now gone. That's my best guess, that it was on the original forum post and that post can no longer be found.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    Erm, slightly terrified at the though of putting on (and keeping on) that much...are you sure??

why? its not fat?
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Because I wasn't expecting to gain on maintenance, at what point do you start thinking it's not just water and need to reduce a bit?
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Eaten more than normal - that food is inside you and has weight.
    A bit sore - inflammation attracts water which has weight.
    No don't react to short term changes by restricting calories. That becomes a vicious circle of anxiety.
    You absolutely must expect your weight to change from day to day and accept that.

You may or may not get the glycogen replenishment bounce back, it's not universal and it's not one set number. I never do as I make sure I'm not glycogen depleted in the first place.

Set yourself a happy weight range to allow for perfectly natural day to day and monthly hormonal fluctuations and don't attempt to micro manage your weight or that will drive you mad.
    You might have to rethink about how you use your bathroom scales if it's causing you stress.

If I remember correctly after my initial weight loss it took 3 months to get my maintenance calories nailed down and it was higher than my estimates originally indicated - there can be a subconscious down regulation of your activity when you are in a deficit.

Did you jump straight to estimated maintenance level or just start walking up your calories?

Thank you that makes a lot of sense. I went straight up but I've only gone from 1600 to about 1900 (I think maintenance for me should be around 2000)
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Having said that I was quiet often losing more than 1lb a week on 1600 so I'm not even sure 2000 is enough
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    Having said that I was quiet often losing more than 1lb a week on 1600 so I'm not even sure 2000 is enough

so mathematically there is no way that 1900 cals for 2 days has made you gain fat.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    No I appreciate that, I'm just not sure a what point I would be gaining fat - I guess it's a lot of trial and error??
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Cool, thank you
  • Fridaywed
    Fridaywed Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I hadn't heard of this glycogen storage before. But I'm wondering if I've not necessarily over-ate but my random weight gain was caused more from me backing away from a low carb diet into a more normal amount of carbs. Because my measurements are almost the same but the scale says I've gained 5 pounds. Hmm, Something to consider
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I transitioned from about 1730ish in deficit to 2000-2100 in maintenance overnight (vs. gradually, which is what many people suggest), and basically instantly gained 3 on the scale. Not fat, just food in my system, water etc. It threw me for a loop because I'd had a "ceiling" GW in my mind, and suddenly, I was 2 lbs over it. I've been stuck here since, and truth be told, I'm not thrilled about it. I would rather be below that ceiling #, while in maintenance. Because when I splurge above maintenance, I am suddenly spending a few days 5 lbs over that ceiling.

I should have dieted down another 3 lbs before entering maintenance, or transitioned more slowly.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Besides the scale, you can use measurements and they way your clothes fit to help you decide if you are out of your maintenance range. Your weight on the scale can go up or down 2-3 lbs daily, but it doesn't necessarily mean much, just depends on hydration and how much food is still in you. Don't be afraid. You know how to get it back off again if it does start to creep up, and it's fun to eat more when it slips down.