Goodbye to alcohol :-(

Options
It's with a heavy heart that I must say 'fare thee well' to my old friend
We've had some good times, some happy times, some sad times and some rough times.

I used to be a real big drinker but don't throw back half the amount that I used to, on Friday though I had 8 cans, I didn't really thing about it, it was just a standard Friday night.

Then the next morning I put it onto my diary on here, jesus that was a bit of a wake up call, I don't know why but looking back through my diary I haven't been inputting what alcohol I have drank, as I say it's only a friday or Saturday that I usually drink so in the grand scheme of things I'm still accurate with my logging.

Anyway I have decided to knock the beer on the head, I can't work a can or two into my schedule for a friday night because I'm the kind of person if I have 1 or 2 then I'll end up drinking 6, it'll just be easier on the whole to pack it in.

At least for a few weeks anyway to see what difference that has.

Replies

• VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Drink tea. Tea is soothing and healthy. Beer, wine, and alcohol is disgusting.
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Completely agree about drinking tea, have to say I disagree about the alcohol being disgusting bit though lol

I won't struggle with it, to be honest I often go weeks without even thinking about having a drink but with the football, warmer weather etc it seems to crop up more often.

Anyway no more of that stuff for a while
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Your body is going to feel great. So much healthier. Keep the stuff far away. I probably have a drink once a year and im okay with that its not worth what it does to your body and now that im losing weight its not worth those empty calories. Good luck
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    leebirm wrote: »
    Completely agree about drinking tea, have to say I disagree about the alcohol being disgusting bit though lol

I won't struggle with it, to be honest I often go weeks without even thinking about having a drink but with the football, warmer weather etc it seems to crop up more often.

Anyway no more of that stuff for a while

Don't drink any for a few months and the disgusting part of alcohol might show up. It is definitely an acquired taste. It is also very expensive.

I wish you luck!
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big alcohol drinker ,in and out of the house anything and everything.
    I gave it completely up whilst loosing weight and didn't touch it for a year and even now I get rarely have it and don't miss it
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it depends on community and culture, whenever I see any of my mates the first thing we do is get a drink, it's just a social thing, it's always been that way and more than likely always will be that way.

As I say I often go 2 or 3 weeks at a time without touching a drop.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I used to drink and smoke a lot and quit both more than 30 years ago. I don't even think about it at all. I love knowing I've saved heaps of money giving those things up
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big drinker but some of my exercise calories do get returned via booze.
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You can eat well all you want but the calories alcohol has is incredible. I used to eat a salad for dinner and then have a few glasses of wine and wonder WHY AM I NOT LOSING WEIGHT? Duh.
  • MrCailer
    MrCailer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's more of a social thing for me,definitely a challenging part of losing weight. I wonder if there are drinks that are "preferable "?
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i know the feels, i love beer which is the worst to drink, Im still trying to get off it and loose weight, feel free to add me, I can shout at you if you drink and you can shout at me :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I would say that since you admitting have issues with drinking two that turns into the whole 6 pack, then doing away with it is the best choice.

I love a cold beer, I love a glass of wine, I love shots of tequila too, but it does not turn into a 6 pack or a whole bottle.

So, you gotta do what ya gotta do!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've used rest periods before and they help but I'm trying to simply be more moderate these days. I'm even drinking various big brewery's light beer. I'm not sure I respect myself anymore with the light beer thing, but it's helping my goals.

I do drink some good beer but it's one and at night right before bed.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I can practice moderation in pretty much everything, but with alcohol, sometimes it's easier to completely abstain. I'm currently doing Dry July to give my body and wallet a break from drinking. During this time I'm being mindful of what "triggers" me to want to drink, and my focus in August will be drinking in moderation and getting away from binge drinking. If I find I can't do that, Dry July might be extended for longer.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you, I totally understand the need to abstain completely before one or two turns into five or six!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I assume you weren't drinking light beer. 8 cans = (145 x 8) or 1160 calories! (on average) It is easier to lose weight and not drink.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Booze also slows metabolism even if u have a 'few'. Saying that I love wine.
    I did dry February once. Was waiting to feel great but didn't feel that different. What helped me I bought non alcoholic beer. A beer on a Friday was worst time after work. One non alcoholic beer was all I needed. If u get mass craving or really grumpy cause u given up try non alcoholic beers. If cold turkey making you homi
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Working on it too since I'm a big drinking and smoker and trying to cut both. Feel free to add.