Making Chicken Salad More Interesting

Options
Other than cayenne pepper and some crunchy celery and green onions, does anyone have any low calorie options of jazzing up chicken salad. I basically live on the stuff for lunch, but I'm getting bored by the same recipe daily. I know I can look up ideas on the net, but was hoping to see if anyone has tried and liked some new ways to enjoy it.

Thank you!

Replies

• ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Grapes. I like the red ones. Soooo good:-)
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    small bits of apple or walnuts are good too!!
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I make a chicken salad with wild rice, green grapes, cashews, water chestnuts and a little mayo. It's great on a bed of lettuce or baby spinach leaves or in a multi-grain wrap, or even by itself.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Avocado and chilli. So good!
  • sdb111
    sdb111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    We like honey mustard dressing, I have cut the calories and increased its creaminess and flavor by adding plain fat free yogurt and splenda to taste... I haven't tried stevia yet. It really does add a lot of zing to the salad.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipe for chicken salad, it makes 10 servings. I hope you enjoy! :flowerforyou:

Ingredients-
    2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast shredded or cut up
    1/2 cup fat free mayo
    2 stalks celery
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    salt to taste
    20 red grapes

Directions-
    1. Boil chicken until done, then shred by hand or cut into cubes when cooled.
    2. While chicken is cooking, chop celery, onion, and cut up grapes.
    3. Put all ingredients in bowl and stir together.

Enjoy this on toast, bread, thins, crackers, etc. You could also put this on salad. I like it on crackers or thin bread.

Makes 10 1/3 cup servings.
    Nutrition Information- Recipe makes 10 servings, nutrition is based on 1 serving (1/3 cup).
    Calories 79.9, Total Fat 1.1 g, Cholesterol 34.1 mg, Sodium 260.5 mg, Total Carbs 3.7 g, Protein 13.3 g
  • amcgltdchix
    Options
    Here is my recipe for chicken salad, it makes 10 servings. I hope you enjoy! :flowerforyou:

Ingredients-
    2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast shredded or cut up
    1/2 cup fat free mayo
    2 stalks celery
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    salt to taste
    20 red grapes

THANK YOU!! :)
    Directions-
    1. Boil chicken until done, then shred by hand or cut into cubes when cooled.
    2. While chicken is cooking, chop celery, onion, and cut up grapes.
    3. Put all ingredients in bowl and stir together.

Enjoy this on toast, bread, thins, crackers, etc. You could also put this on salad. I like it on crackers or thin bread.

Makes 10 1/3 cup servings.
    Nutrition Information- Recipe makes 10 servings, nutrition is based on 1 serving (1/3 cup).
    Calories 79.9, Total Fat 1.1 g, Cholesterol 34.1 mg, Sodium 260.5 mg, Total Carbs 3.7 g, Protein 13.3 g
  • amcgltdchix
    Options
    Thank you ladies!!!! I really do appreciate it. Now my pita bread half won't be as sad!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    avocado, walnuts, grapes, honey mustard, and about a tbsp of cacique crema. it is soooo good!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Apple Chicken Salad

chicken
    lite mayo
    horseradish mustard (or whatever mustard you like)
    apple, finely chopped
    red onion, finely chopped
    walnuts, chopped

celery can be added also

you can add other seasonings for different flavors
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I agree on grapes, cranberries, apple cider vinegar. Very yummy.
  • frantny
    frantny Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lunch's green apple chicken salad

Total time: 25 minutes
    Servings: 4 to 6

1/3 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 cooked boneless and skinless chicken breasts, diced (a generous 2 cups)
    2 small celery stalks, cut into small dice
    1/2 red onion, cut into very small dice
    1/2 green apple, cored and cut into medium dice
    1/3 cup currants (raisins may be substituted)
    Salt and pepper, if desired

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, cider vinegar and Dijon mustard to form a dressing.

2. To the bowl, add the chicken, celery, onion, apple and currants. Toss everything together, taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Chill before serving. This makes about 1 quart chicken salad.

Each of 6 servings: 188 calories; 12 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 11 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 39 mg cholesterol; 7 grams sugar; 163 mg sodium.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • goombasmom
    goombasmom Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I marinate the chicken in apple juice concentrate, a dab of honey, ground pepper and a dash of soy sauce for a couple of hours in the frig. Roast/broil it in the oven. I think that boiling the chicken breast for chicken salad makes it less juicy.

Chop up the chicken, add fine chopped celery, low fat mayo, diced cucumber (I pull out all the seeds, otherwise it gets kinda mushy), yellow raisins, dried cranberries, almond slivers, diced bell peppers and some of the pan drippings from the roasted chicken.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Cayenne and craisins. Sounds weird, but it's really good!
  • Channeling_Boudica
    Options
    I've got to try some of those ideas. I use capers, sun dried tomatoes, green onions or leeks, celery, and parsley in mine.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I like to add to cut up chicken breast diced celery, diced onion, and diced tomato (not the wet seeds, just the outside and the "meat" of it). Delicious!
  • Findingme40
    Findingme40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cook about a lb of boneless skinless chicken breast in a crock-pot just covered in chicken or vegetable stock with a packet of taco seasoning. Then I just shred it when I get home. Chop up an avocado, 1/2 a red onion, a handful of craisins, and toss with with a 1/4 cup of my favorite salsa. It's fantastic!
  • joannd1957
    Options
    Hi - I'm Joann - fairly new to the message boards. I love some of these recipes for chicken salad that I'm reading here. I usually make mine with diced red onion and sometimes some walnuts or pecans and a little celery. I also like to add some dijon mustard to a low fat mayo. I don't like anything "fat free" because it's full of chemicals, but the low fat mayo is pretty good.