Buying an Elliptical

Options
Piqueaboo
Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
So, folks, I need opinions please! Amazon is offering an elliptical trainer for 80€ instead of 110€ for the next 9 hours. It is significantly cheaper than my gym membership, as this is the only thing I normally do at the gym.

Have any of you purchased your own trainer? Do you think this is a great idea or probably a waste of money?

Any input is appreciated!

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think if you can genuinely commit to using it often, it is a good investment. If I do the same exercise over and over I get board so a gym membership is more valuable to me.
  • dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    I think if you can genuinely commit to using it often, it is a good investment. If I do the same exercise over and over I get board so a gym membership is more valuable to me.

Agree with kd_mazur except typically you can buy almost brand new equipment locally (ebay or local paper/sales brochures have a ton of them) for even cheaper prices, as this is one of the most common purchasing errors known to man. Most having been used less than 2 dozen times if you don't count laundry hanging on them. Now how long you would to have to wait to find that specific piece of equipment that may be a deal breaker but if your heart isn't set on anything specific other than a good piece of equipment at a good price you can probably do better.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    That sounds cheap, i'd worry about it shaking all over the place in use or squeaking. What is the model ?
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have no clue about the specific model, but just wanted to say I have an elliptical at home and I love it! I use it everyday, sometimes multiple times a day.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice to join a gym instead. $10 a month and dozens of ellipticals as well as other equipment. Not as convenient, but if you're like a lot of people, it will become and expensive place to hang your clothes after a few months.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    We bought a cheap elliptical (probably from Amazon), spent a couple hours putting it together, and it works pretty well. It squeaked a bit until we tightened everything down. It doesn't work very well unless the resistance is pretty high.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    That sounds cheap, i'd worry about it shaking all over the place in use or squeaking. What is the model ?

Agree an eliptical for a bit more than $100 would be a piece of junk. As a reference a commercial machine is around 3000
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    See about a used one on Craigslist maybe that's higher quality. Since obviously someone is prob using is as a clothes hanger like that guy said. I got my treadmill on CL for $100. It isn't THE BEST but it is way better than a brand new $100 one.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I bought mine on ebay for £40, but new it would have been several hundred... And if it becomes a clothes hanger I can always sell it again!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    So I went ahead and bought it - a month later, nonetheless. I've followed pretty much all the advice here, gyms here start at an annual $500 so that's a bit more than $10 a month and with my working hours I never go anyway. 2nd, I checked for used equipment and found a few, however they were all in the $75 range and I don't have a car to bring it to my house. So I caved and bought it for $90 and it was delivered to my home this morning!

Thank you everybody!!