Fear of running?

Options
2»

Replies

• Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    I remember one day in particular when I went to our local track to run, and a group of muscular guys were playing football on the field. As I go out to run they started making fun of me, calling me "double cheeseburger" and other names. I just kept my head up, acted like I didn't hear them, and kept running. I ended up running my best run up to that point that day.

What douches. Probably had compensation issues and needed to vent their feelings of inadequacy...

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    I remember one day in particular when I went to our local track to run, and a group of muscular guys were playing football on the field. As I go out to run they started making fun of me, calling me "double cheeseburger" and other names. I just kept my head up, acted like I didn't hear them, and kept running. I ended up running my best run up to that point that day.

What douches. Probably had compensation issues and needed to vent their feelings of inadequacy...

Likely. It was sad, we were all adults. It's not like we were in High School or anything.
  • joannajohnson295
    joannajohnson295 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Who cares what you look like...just picture yourself in your mind's eye as a pro! That's what i do and i couldn't care less who is watching...i go on the treadmill with no make-up on, hair scraped back and my oldest comfiest joggers on...look a right state i expect but hey ho i'll look good in a nice dress next time i go out!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone here thinks you look great. I'd take that assessment over a 6-year-old's any day :neutral:

Try to find a running club (or even a clinic some Saturday) for beginners, try C25K (you can kind of roll between running and walking at least at the beginning), and most of all, work on changing your mindset. You can be a runner. I feel the same way swimming. I'm a late learner and I know I look funny, swim slowly, etc., but nobody says anything or seems to care, and the bottom line is that I'm gradually (albeit s.l.o.w.l.y...) getting better.

You got this! No go!!!! :wink: