Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lost all motivation, struggling to bounce back

I've had a nice streak in losing weight at a steady pace and I was very happy with it-- I felt better mentally and all my friends noticed that I got slimmer. But it all went downhill when spring semester of college ended and I headed home.

All of a sudden (since mid-may), I found myself munching on junk food almost 24/7, and not working out, at all. I gained about 15 pounds in the span of 1.5 months (145 to 160) and I noticed my booty got significantly smaller and my stomach is now protruding outwards.

I'm currently studying abroad in Hong Kong and that's only made everything worse. There's amazing food that I've never tried, virtually EVERYWHERE. It makes me so happy when I eat all the junk from the moment I wake up until right before I close my eyes to sleep. But I feel so depressed when I look in the mirror at my once flat stomach and toned butt becoming 2 slumps of fat just sitting there.

I literally have no motivation whatsoever and I don't know what else can help me other than when school starts I know I'll bounce back in shape (since I live on campus). But I don't want to show up in the new semester looking like I've gone up 3 sizes! Help!!

Share some of your come back stories with me! Help!

Replies

• themagicalmatt
    themagicalmatt Posts: 39 Member
    I used to be the same way. Just last October I locked my self in a bathroom and ate hamburgers until I cried. I couldn't stop myself.

My biggest problem was income stability. Not knowing where my next dollar was coming from stressed me out to the point where I was infected with "the *kitten* its".

I decided to focus on that portion of my life, the source of my stress and then I could work on the other things, like my man boobs and self hatred.

I started out by blocking out certain times I could eat food. Like "no no times" most importantly before sleeping since junk food affects sleep and sleep affects eating, energy, working, all that *kitten*.

You have to create tiny victories for yourself. They build into bigger ones. You can't quit all at once, it's a process. A long *kitten* one. You have to keep an image of the person not of who you were but of what you're gonna be. You have to accept the fact that you let yourself go and then cry a bit and then get back on the pony before you get back on the horse.

You can do it, you can, it's difficult and discouraging but you have to plow through and deny the child inside of you that wants it "Now!"
  • themagicalmatt
    themagicalmatt Posts: 39 Member
    Kitten is the first word btw
  • hillabeans23
    hillabeans23 Posts: 37 Member
    I bounced back a year ago. So awesome right? Doing all the right things and seeing that steady progress for a whole year whether it was losing pounds on the scale or measurements, noticing changes in strength and endurance and clothing sizes!

I was down 20 pounds but for me, the past month screwed me up. I went to ireland and then kind of thought I caught the hang of this whole healthy, fit thing. Obviously not because I'm up 4-5 pounds now. And no it's not water weight or sodium or muscle lol. I've still been working out and eating 'well' but not as well or hard or as frequently or whatever because I have gained.

So I moped a little, thought about crying, body shamed and hated on me, called myself fat and ugly and stupid. All that nastiness. And now I'm back to the starting line. It's not that much weight but we all know how hard it is to lose vs. gain. So I'm more in the pissed stage right now. I have started t25 too. I think I was getting used to some of my old routines. Because I was maintaining from like April till just recently. So yeah you just got to take it one step at a time! Retrace your steps! The body won't go where the mind does not let it! In this case, if you want to lose again, your mind has to take you there! You can do it!
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    I'd prob try and address reasons why you reaching for the junk 24/7. Before u try change anything. You're obviously dealing with some unresolved issues that's prob not food related. Once done that don't ne afraid to ask for help. If u can reach out to a friend maybe try a Oneonta challenge. Can u rope them into say 3 walks a week? Look at your schedule, can u fit exercise in anywhere? Although food is like 60-80% effecting weight loss if u not ready to cut back the food just yet try increasing exercise.