Cals, carbs, fats. I need help :(((

Options
2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Anyway carbs are not the enemy and neither are fats. I'm at 40c-35f-25p (40-30-30 when lifting) and it doesn't seem to have hindered me any.

WhAt is 40-30-30? :/ sorry for being ignorant :(

It means that when you set your goals you do it manually and you set it to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.
  • Diptiish
    Diptiish Posts: 61
    Options
    Eat fewer calories than you use, throw in some good exercise and it will go - eventually! You can't spot-reduce, and restricting any one food group (unless on medical advice) is only going to throw your body further off balance.

Just make sure any fats are "good" fats - olive oil, nuts, avocado etc. - rather than fatty meat or anything deep fried (such as KFC, doughnuts, ....mmmmmmm....doughnuts:wink: ..) as those are effectively metabolised rather than stored.:smile:

I was even hesitating to use olive oil to fry my food, coz of the fats in it. But thanks, i got my answer here ;) olive oil is actually a good fat ;)
  • katy_ziats
    katy_ziats Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1 g carbs = 4 calories
    1 g protein = 4 calories
    1 g fat = 9 colories

100 g of carrbs is 400 calories
    with 800 calories to go you should try to split it equally between fat and protein... but eat "good fats" ie nuts, eggs, dairy... stuff like that

So it would be 44.4 g of fat
    and then 100 g of protein

But if you stick to fruits as your carbs and try to limit the "bread" carbs I think you will do great!

Hope this helps!
  • Diptiish
    Options
    Anyway carbs are not the enemy and neither are fats. I'm at 40c-35f-25p (40-30-30 when lifting) and it doesn't seem to have hindered me any.

It means that when you set your goals you do it manually and you set it to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.

I still dont get it :( how would i get the percentage? What are the amount in grams? So sorrry, i really have no idea...
  • Diptiish
    Options
    1 g carbs = 4 calories
    1 g protein = 4 calories
    1 g fat = 9 colories

100 g of carrbs is 400 calories
    with 800 calories to go you should try to split it equally between fat and protein... but eat "good fats" ie nuts, eggs, dairy... stuff like that

So it would be 44.4 g of fat
    and then 100 g of protein

But if you stick to fruits as your carbs and try to limit the "bread" carbs I think you will do great!

Hope this helps!

It did, thnx!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I still dont get it :( how would i get the percentage? What are the amount in grams? So sorrry, i really have no idea...

If you set that percentage in your goals it figures out the amount of grams for you.

For example: I eat 1825 calories a day, which is roughly an 18% cut from what I expend day to day.

Now I set MFP for the percentages I want (40-35-25 right now.) MFP then tells me I need 183 grams of carbs, 71 grams of fat, and 114 grams of protein. No math needed on my part. If I switch it to 40-30-30 it would change the amounts for me.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You will need to increase your protein to get this balance right. 100 gr protein = 400 cals. 50 gr fat = 450 cals 100 gr carbs = 400 cals That totals 1250 cals
  • Diptiish
    Options
    Hmmmm, thank you! :)
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    whats your reason for wanting to be low carb? why not do 40%/30%/30% across carbs, protein and fat and balance it that way?

boom. this.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Guys! I am so confused. I am trying to lose weight thats why i am eating 1200 calories a day, but the prob is, i want to lower my carbs too. Between 50-100g. The problem is..... If i eat less carbs, it is more on fats. If i eat less fats, it is more on carbs. And if both carbs n fats are less, then calories would be less too. I dont knowww nowwwww. How will i be able to reach the 1200calories per day, with just 50-100g of carbs and 50g or less fats? I am a vegetarian but i do eat eggs. Help. Please.

Carbs and Protein are 4 calories per gram.
    Fat is 8 calories per gram.

Why are you trying to stay at 50-100g carbs and 50g or less fats? Unless you're meeting your calorie goal and getting enough protein to not loose muscle mass, or have an underlying health problem it's probably more important to fill out your calories than meet the macros... at least during strict weight loss.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You need to decide for yourself if you are going for a more carb heavy or fat heavy diet.

Which do you think is better, dear?

I'm very much in the pro fat camp!
  • Diptiish
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm

why do people ask for advice, then, when its not what they think is right, ignore it anyway....?
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm biased towards protein.... :bigsmile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm biased towards protein.... :bigsmile:

Mmmmmm, meat!!!!!
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Got me thinking all about chicken and tuna now

:wink:
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Higher fats is generally better imo. And forget about calories, just eyeball it and go by your gut- take that literally.