Homemade protein bars anyone?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
Does anyone make their own protein bars? I tried a recipe over the weekend that used whey protein powder and the results were very disappointing. Not only that, when I put it into the recipe builder, it only came in at 7g of protein per serving.

I would like to know if anyone has any good recipes for protein bars that have at least 15g of protein with less than 250 calories? I am gluten free, but I can adapt with GF flour if necessary. TIA!

Replies

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've done these in the past and enjoyed them. They are close to your criteria, but not perfect. There is a couple down sides. They need to be refrigerated. I know this is a deal breaker for many, but they worked for me since i have a fridge at work. Also, they are soft and kinda sticky, make sure you have water with you! I know I'm not selling this much right? I liked the base and you can make them into any flavor you like really. I like them because the carbs are a lot less than store bought and much cheaper. Good luck.

Edited to add: It doesn't say, but the almond milk in the recipe is unsweetened.

c2p2mvcjbzjy.jpg
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @shinycrazy -Do you bake them?
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @shinycrazy -Do you bake them?

Nope, which was something I like about them. I layer a 9x13 with parchment paper, spread dough best I can. Add another sheet of parchment on top to really get it spread out and even. Place in the fridge to chill. Then I slice with a very sharp knife leaving the parchment in place like "wrapper". Sorry I should have added this bit.
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here's a protein bar recipe. These use vegan protein powder but you could easily use any protein powder. These are a quest style protein bar (recipe is at the bottom). Macros are good too.
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/11/25/vegan-bars-energy-power-protein/
    m07ie5u94t9x.jpg

• haydenfisher24
    haydenfisher24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Guys this is awesome. First time on this community part of MFP and I find this. Haha AWESOME.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've posted this recipe so many times, but have yet to try it. I'm kitchen lazy and still buying my protein bars.

in sauce pan combine 1/2 cup preferred milk & 8 tblsp peanut butter & 1 tblsp+ honey. Warm up on low heat to melt & add cinnamon & 1 1/2 cups protein powder of choice (vanilla or chocolate peanut butter are great). Add uncooked oats & mix. Place in waxed 9x9 or other pan & pat firmly & freeze for 20 minutes. Then cut and pre-package servings. Calories and fat can be determined by you by adding any extras such as a handful of raisins & or top with a sprinkle of choc. chips or coconut or dried fruit/nuts/flax seed/chia seeds etc. Options are endless!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    I've done these in the past and enjoyed them. They are close to your criteria, but not perfect. There is a couple down sides. They need to be refrigerated. I know this is a deal breaker for many, but they worked for me since i have a fridge at work. Also, they are soft and kinda sticky, make sure you have water with you! I know I'm not selling this much right? I liked the base and you can make them into any flavor you like really. I like them because the carbs are a lot less than store bought and much cheaper. Good luck.

Edited to add: It doesn't say, but the almond milk in the recipe is unsweetened.

c2p2mvcjbzjy.jpg

That's very similar to what I do. Sometimes I doctor mine up with additional liquid Splenda because I like things on the sweet side. I find they're less sticky with a whey/casein blend.

The basic almond milk/coconut flour/protein powder idea can really be the starting point for anything. You can use any flavor of protein powder and mix in so many different things.