Starving after eating?

I'm curious if any of you know what's causing this. I feel like I'm starving right after I finished eating. It doesn't necessarily matter how much I've eaten it might happen after a light meal or after I'm completely stuffed but maybe 15 minutes after finishing I feel like I'm starving. It doesn't last very long maybe five minutes so I can ignore it just fine but if it's something that I can make go away that would be nice. I'd like to at least know what's going on.

Replies

• minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Are you getting enough protein and fats? If I skimp I get hungry quickly
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    You need to give your food time to reach your stomach and tell your brain it's full. I can sometimes feel more hungry after eating a meal than before, but after a while that passes.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Do you eat fast? Slowing down your intake may help. How is your fat and protein intake?
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited July 2016
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    You need to give your food time to reach your stomach and tell your brain it's full. I can sometimes feel more hungry after eating a meal than before, but after a while that passes.
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Do you eat fast? Slowing down your intake may help.

This too, I'm a fast eater.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    You may be noticing the contractions in your stomach that are at work emptying the food you've eaten into your intestines. This is completely normal. They can remind you of hunger because it's the same movements that occur when you are hungry. Hunger comes with other "symtoms", though. You can learn to live with it, and you understand that you're not hungry when you've just eaten. Just make sure you are eating balanced meals and get enough of all the nutrients you need every day.
  • zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Do you eat fast? Slowing down your intake may help. How is your fat and protein intake?

I'm the slowest eater in my family (which is admittedly not saying much). I make an effort to stop and chew each bite so that I have a better idea of when I'm actually full instead of eating till the food is gone.

As far as fat an protein, this just happened after lunch. I had a turkey cranberry sandwich from Firehouse subs (sans mayo), a pickle spear and some water. MFP tells me this is 8g of fat and 30g of protein.

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Are you getting enough protein and fats? If I skimp I get hungry quickly

Agreed. Carbs make me hungry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    PMS? Sandwiches do the same to me though, sadly.
  • zharptichka
    Francl27 wrote: »

Actually now that you mention it, it could be PMS. I'll try to pay attention to the timing when this happens again. Usually as long as I don't have white bread I'm ok with sandwiches. My normal breakfast is a slice of avocado toast and that normally lasts me from 7am to 130 or so.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Are you sure you're actually hungry? I know after I eat I feel like I could have more food even if I eat a lot, but that's because I'm so used to eating to the point where I'm so stuffed all I want to do is lay down lol. I haven't had that feeling much since I'm on 1200-1300 calories
  • rebelinont
    rebelinont Posts: 3 Member
    Sometimes I think I'm hungry, but in truth I'm thirsty :wink:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    This happens to me when I eat something high carb. I will literally be more hungry after eating a bagel than I was before I had it. Love them but they piss me off.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

I agree about giving the Braun time to register that you have eaten. Oftentimes, I don't feel satiated. I'm not hungry. Just not satisfied, but a few minutes later, I'm fine. Sometimes, I even feel full.
  • leejoyce31
    I meant "brain"
  • leejoyce31
    Francl27 wrote: »

I thought that too. Maybe it's hormonal eating. I had that issue yesterday. Wasn't hungry but cravings were really bad. I was a couple hundred over maintenance for the day, but I'm okay with that. I cut it off before I went too far. I'm proud of that. I have the all or nothing mentality that I'm trying to correct.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Protein, fiber and fats help me stay full.
  • suvoth
    suvoth Posts: 927 Member
    Big glass of water before you eat might help
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    That usually happens to me once or twice a year when my cycle is about to start. For some reason, no matter what I eat, I'm still hungry. And I mean I literally have hunger pangs. Maybe it's hormonal. What usually helps me is to eat high carb foods (rice, bread, pasta). Drinking lots of water helps too.
  • zharptichka
    I think it might be hormonal/ PMS. I'll try to pay more attention to when it shows up again. I drink a crazy amount of water (especially in the summer). I'm on glass 13 I think for today. I know I'm not actually hungry. If I wait five minutes it goes away but sometimes that five minutes is rough ;) It doesn't seem to be related to the food itself, it happens regardless of what I'm eating whether straight up steak or vegetables or pasta.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    I think it might be hormonal/ PMS. I'll try to pay more attention to when it shows up again. I drink a crazy amount of water (especially in the summer). I'm on glass 13 I think for today. I know I'm not actually hungry. If I wait five minutes it goes away but sometimes that five minutes is rough ;) It doesn't seem to be related to the food itself, it happens regardless of what I'm eating whether straight up steak or vegetables or pasta.

Assuming I've had sufficient protein, fat, and fiber to satiate me, sometimes my brain also wants a little something sweet to signify dessert and the end of the meal. A Peppermint Patty mini does the trick, as does a Ghirardelli square or a few chocolate chips.

With PMS, my appetite does go up but how it manifests is that I am hungrier earlier (but not right away.) For example, my breakfast usually satisfies me for 5-6 hours but when I'm premenstrual I'm hungry again in 3-4.