Lower calorie dressing options?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I add a packet of Good Season's Italian dressing mix to a bottle of Balsamic Vinegar.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I like the cucumber dill greek yogurt from hidden valley. Super good and only 60 calories for 2tbsp
  • Latucker21
    Latucker21 Posts: 126 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I love Bolthouse dressings. They're made with yogurt and low calorie without the added sugar of many "lite" dressings.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Almost invariably, when I buy salad dressing, it is way too thick or way too sweet. I add clean water to it. It tastes way better then, it's not thick and gloppy, it distributes better on my salad, and I've not yet ruined any of the dressings.

Here's something I want to try, too: adding both water and walnut oil.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I try to never use more than a tablespoon, or I make a huge salad for the whole family, and I add 2 tablespoons and mix it well. I prefer a very lightly dressed salad. If it drips with dressing, I don't enjoy it. Mostly I either make my own or use Bolthouse if I want something creamy.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The Opa greek yogurt dressings are incredible for being relatively low-cal/low-fat.
  • realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This brings me back to my childhood, when my mother's idea of a good diet salad was iceberg lettuce with stale black pepper and white distilled vinegar. Oh! The horror!
  • ievent
    ievent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods Market makes a Tangerine Vinaigrette (2 Tbsp = 35 calories), or a Guava Nectar Vinaigrette (2 Tbsp = 40 calories), both absolutely delicious!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the Bolthouse Farms dressings rock. The Wishbone EVOO dressings are also pretty good, I've been eating the ceasar parmesan vinagrette (2tbsp=70 calories) with romaine lettuce and 2oz of Creamette 150 calorie rotini. SO good!
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use fruit salsa and if I have an avocado that is going soft I'll mix it with the salsa. Right now I have a raspberry salsa that is amazing!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you NEED some fat to help absorb the wonderful fat soluble vitamins in your greens. A simple olive oil and lemon or lime juice is usually my choice, I make it fresh myself.
  • strotman31
    strotman31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been using Wholly Guacamole on my salads. Taste great!
  • fitgoals23
    fitgoals23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I go very light on my dressing. Usually just a squeeze of lemon, very light drizzle of evoo, and salt and pepper to taste. The key is to rely on very tasty ingredients in the salad so that dressing is just an embellishment, not the point of the salad. Toasted nuts, crisp veggies, juicy fruits, sharp cheeses (so that flavor is strong even in small amounts), and herbs can make salads flavorful without lots of dressing.

One great strategy is to rely on the moisture of the salad's ingredients. Veggies like tomatoes, onions, zucchini, etc. come with a lot of their own moisture that when mixed in the salad can help provide the texture desired from a dressing. I also love salads with fruit, which are very juicy and just need to be embellished with a squeeze of lemon juice and a bit of pepper.

Another helpful way to go lighter on dressing is to incorporate herbs and spices for flavor that is super light on calories. A few basil leaves or a sprinkle of chaat masala gives a lot of flavor at a very low calorie cost.
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like Kraft Lite Raspberry Vinaigrette. 2tbsp has 30 calories.
  • ToxDocAR
    ToxDocAR Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I second the Opa greek yogurt salad dressings....