Suggestions on quick recovery of pinched nerves in lower back

Options
The headline said it all, any help would be great worked out Saturday (hurt back during) took Sunday to rest hoping to get back at it today no luck at all... I hate that I can't do anything walking included is a killer. Any and all help is accepted here!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I assume you have rested, used ice on the impacted area.
    If the discomfort continues I will visit my Doctor as a Walk In
    Good luck
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Rest rest rest.

Back issues can take weeks, possibly into months depending on the issue, to resolve. If your pain is serious and continues, see a doctor. But pushing it because it feels a little bit better is generally not a good idea.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm dealing with similar issue in my upper back with pain radiating into my shoulder for nearly 2 weeks. A lifetime of computer work, poor posture and carrying babies around has apparently taken it's toll on the discs.

For treatment I've been doing all of the following at various times throughout the day:

ice
    heat
    ibuprofen
    Tylenol PM (1/2 tablet at nite to help me sleep)
    stretching
    gentle yoga as tolerable
    muscle rub (like Icy Hot)
    home PT following YouTube videos for pinched nerve then doing the exercises throughout the day
    paying special attention to posture (trying not to slump)
    lying lengthways on a foam roller (about 15 mins at a time)
    sitting in a straight chair instead of on the couch
    TENS unit
    chiropractic adjustment
    professional massage

At first I tried to push through the pain, but that didn't help and probably did more harm than good. It's not just a pulled muscle where you can work it out over a couple days. After 10 days doing all of the above I believe I've turned the corner and the pain has diminished about 75%. A visit to my MD would have cost me more than the chiro and massage together. If it hadn't gotten better that would have been my next step, probably followed by an MRI to confirm what I already know followed with a prescription for pain meds, which I don't want to take.

I've continued to go to aquasize (gentle exercise), but have not lifted any weights. You need to listen to your body and give it some healing time.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!