Knee injury from jogging what to do?

Options
Should I stop for a week? no swelling just burning feeling around knee bone on one leg.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rest, ice, see a doctor or physio if it's not better in a few days
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Rest, ice, see a doctor or physio if it's not better in a few days

Thank you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    +1 on RICE

If you do seek medical treatment (pain doesn't go away after a few days of rest) try to find a sports medicine clinic rather than your GP. Most GPs know even less about sports injuries than they do about nutrition.

Don't be surprised if the cure consists mainly of exercise designed to strengthen glutes, Hips and/or core as weaknesses & imbalances in these often manifest themselves as knee pain.

• hellonew2015
    Options
    +1 on RICE

If you do seek medical treatment (pain doesn't go away after a few days of rest) try to find a sports medicine clinic rather than your GP. Most GPs know even less about sports injuries than they do about nutrition.

Don't be surprised if the cure consists mainly of exercise designed to strengthen glutes, Hips and/or core as weaknesses & imbalances in these often manifest themselves as knee pain.

Thank you. Never had pain before and I have been jogging for a few months, what I did I guess was climbing benches outdoors in addition to jogging and may hurt it this way.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. That way you can properly diagnose your injury good luck
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont do anything when i have knee pain, until the pain is gone. and then i don't do whatever it was that caused the pain ever again.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but I've had a lot of running injuries over the past few years. In treatment the doctor (sports medicine) told me RICE is not necessarily the best approach.

A burning sensation is often a sign of tendonitis, which is inflammation even if there's no visible swelling. A burning sensation on the side of the knee maybe the IT band. I was in physical therapy for months for a torn IT Band. During treatment the doc & my primary physical therapist stated RICE is no longer the default treatment. Depending on the injury, heat and when pain subsides, appropriate exercise to stimulate blood circulation for faster and better healing. My doc explained that ice can in fact damage issue.

A few months ago I again saw the doctor for what turned out to be tendonitis in my left knee. Treatment was heat, rest until pain subsided, then appropriate exercises. No RICE.

Best to see a doctor I think
  • hellonew2015
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but I've had a lot of running injuries over the past few years. In treatment the doctor (sports medicine) told me RICE is not necessarily the best approach.

A burning sensation is often a sign of tendonitis, which is inflammation even if there's no visible swelling. A burning sensation on the side of the knee maybe the IT band. I was in physical therapy for months for a torn IT Band. During treatment the doc & my primary physical therapist stated RICE is no longer the default treatment. Depending on the injury, heat and when pain subsides, appropriate exercise to stimulate blood circulation for faster and better healing. My doc explained that ice can in fact damage issue.

A few months ago I again saw the doctor for what turned out to be tendonitis in my left knee. Treatment was heat, rest until pain subsided, then appropriate exercises. No RICE.

Best to see a doctor I think

That is what I thought, thank you! Can I lift weights seated so no pressure on the leg,or this may affect it?, I want to burn a few calories without damaging that spot. My burning sensation is just below the knee bone in the front and spreading to both sides.