Any night shift people out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I am no longer a night shift worker but I really think the lack of sleep helps keep the calories on. Yes it seems longer then working a day shift because it is slower at night so you fill that time with snacks (or I did) I did gain a lot. Only when I would get off work and work out for 1-2 hours did I see any change. Once I stopped that I gained again because of snacking. Oddly when I went back to days and slept like a normal person I lost about 15lbs without changing anything.
    Luck

you did change something tho...you were in a calorie deficit (probably due to less snacking)otherwise the weight wouldn't have been lost.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    28barb205 wrote: »
    Im not saying that saying some mysterious nightshift monster comes out and sticks the donut in my mouth. Ive done the food diaries. I know my patterns and my body. Im saying night shift leads to being tired and is a trigger. I seek the quick energies and the convienence foods. Thats not an issue through the week when im on a normal day schedule. And good for your husband on handling the shift so well but that is just not the case for everyone. I started this thread for support from fellow night shifters who have the same issues. Not to be told the obvious logging and portion control.

being tired for most is a trigger...

but the logging and portion control is what helps...and if it's so obvious then why aren't you following it????

If you are triggered by being tired (so am I) log what you grab and eat it in reasonable portions...there is nothing different about it...but thanks for the snark regardless.

best give the same snark to those others on here who didn't gain weight on night shift.

smh

Well I can't speak for the original poster but I will say that, even though It seems obvious to some to just log calories and eat reasonable portions, it is difficult while on 3rd shift IMO. I gained more weight on 3rd shift than I ever had in my life or on any other shift. Like I had to explain to my husband, trying to stretch 1500 calories over a 20-24 hour period while not dealing with hunger constantly sucks. Doable? Yes...Not to mention, exhaustion made me search out caffeine some nights.

I don't know how much sleep your husband gets her day but the more sleep you get, the easier it is.

Everyone has a different situation and I am in no way making excuses. I can and have in the past succeeded with weight loss on 3rd shift. I just think it helps to compare struggles so we can find what works best.

being tired is not relegated to just shift workers...or it being a trigger.

1500 calories is what I eat in an 18 hour period now..does two extra hours make a difference perhaps but planning, preparation and logging is the only way to keep the weight off and/or lose and making sure you move, drink water and if necessary upping calories a bit can help too.

my husband doesn't get a tonne of sleep on any of his shifts...he is a mindful eater and makes sure he moves and chooses nutrient dense foods along with lots of protein and healthy snacks. He takes his meals with him unless they are cooking that night and since he is the one who does the cooking he gets to make that choice too.

It is all about taking responsibility for what you put in your mouth instead of looking for excuses as to why it's "too hard".

ETA: as for the OP they have a "normal" week so the two days on night shifts is not causing 60lbs in extra weight to happen...that would mean they ate 210,000 extra calories after night shifts....think about that...it's more than a donut or two after night shift...

Well good for him ;) I mean what do you really want me to say. It is a fact that many 3rd shifters deal with weight and health issues. Not all, but many. I have lost a significant about of weight before on 3rd shift so I know it can be done,... Never said it couldn't. I'm glad your husband is so awesome to have never gained weight on 3rd shift...like really, that's awesome. For those of us am who are trying to lose though, it is really not helpful to hear how perfect other people have been with their calories. We are all making changes with our lives. We all know calorie deficit and portion control is key. What I think OP was wanting was support from people who are trying to lose weight and currently on 3rd shift. A bunch of us gave ideas on how to make the calories work best. All you did was tell her being on 3rd shift is not an excuse and how your husband works 3rd shift and doesn't gain a pound...not helpful:) Anyways... Done with this discussion for good. OP, feel free to friend me if you want some support.
  • nhsummitmommy
    nhsummitmommy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd at a group home for adults with brain injuries. Most of my nights are spent watching TV and being awake if a resident needs any assistance.

I am a 2nd shift sleeper, which you will find on 3rd shift everyone sleeps at different times and we will all have different schedules.
    I will get to work, do my chores and rounds and then I will eat my "Dinner" for the day, usually a smart ones meal because they are easy to prepare at work and I find do a good job filling me up.
    MIDNIGHT is my new day on MFP so around 1am I hop on the stationary bike and do a 30min ride.
    I'll have a snack of fruit or a fiber one bar after. Then the rest of the night I am spot cleaning, and responding to call bells or watching TV.
    Usually around 5am I will have a very light breakfast/2nd snack and when I get home at 7:30 I'll eat a second bigger breakfast.
    Most days I then set off for a hike-carrying my 25lb daughter, with a total pack weight around 35-40lbs, really good for burning calories.
    Lunch time is normal.
    Then before bed at 3pm I have a protein shake, which helps keep me full when I sleep so my stomach isn't waking me up at 6pm because it thinks it's dinnertime.
    On my way into work I will snack on a string cheese and a mini slim jim.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    Im not saying that saying some mysterious nightshift monster comes out and sticks the donut in my mouth. Ive done the food diaries. I know my patterns and my body. Im saying night shift leads to being tired and is a trigger. I seek the quick energies and the convienence foods. Thats not an issue through the week when im on a normal day schedule. And good for your husband on handling the shift so well but that is just not the case for everyone. I started this thread for support from fellow night shifters who have the same issues. Not to be told the obvious logging and portion control.

but the logging and portion control is what helps...and if it's so obvious then why aren't you following it????

If you are triggered by being tired (so am I) log what you grab and eat it in reasonable portions...there is nothing different about it...but thanks for the snark regardless.

best give the same snark to those others on here who didn't gain weight on night shift.

smh

Well I can't speak for the original poster but I will say that, even though It seems obvious to some to just log calories and eat reasonable portions, it is difficult while on 3rd shift IMO. I gained more weight on 3rd shift than I ever had in my life or on any other shift. Like I had to explain to my husband, trying to stretch 1500 calories over a 20-24 hour period while not dealing with hunger constantly sucks. Doable? Yes...Not to mention, exhaustion made me search out caffeine some nights.

I don't know how much sleep your husband gets her day but the more sleep you get, the easier it is.

Everyone has a different situation and I am in no way making excuses. I can and have in the past succeeded with weight loss on 3rd shift. I just think it helps to compare struggles so we can find what works best.

being tired is not relegated to just shift workers...or it being a trigger.

1500 calories is what I eat in an 18 hour period now..does two extra hours make a difference perhaps but planning, preparation and logging is the only way to keep the weight off and/or lose and making sure you move, drink water and if necessary upping calories a bit can help too.

my husband doesn't get a tonne of sleep on any of his shifts...he is a mindful eater and makes sure he moves and chooses nutrient dense foods along with lots of protein and healthy snacks. He takes his meals with him unless they are cooking that night and since he is the one who does the cooking he gets to make that choice too.

It is all about taking responsibility for what you put in your mouth instead of looking for excuses as to why it's "too hard".

ETA: as for the OP they have a "normal" week so the two days on night shifts is not causing 60lbs in extra weight to happen...that would mean they ate 210,000 extra calories after night shifts....think about that...it's more than a donut or two after night shift...

Well good for him ;) I mean what do you really want me to say. It is a fact that many 3rd shifters deal with weight and health issues. Not all, but many. I have lost a significant about of weight before on 3rd shift so I know it can be done,... Never said it couldn't. I'm glad your husband is so awesome to have never gained weight on 3rd shift...like really, that's awesome. For those of us am who are trying to lose though, it is really not helpful to hear how perfect other people have been with their calories. We are all making changes with our lives. We all know calorie deficit and portion control is key. What I think OP was wanting was support from people who are trying to lose weight and currently on 3rd shift. A bunch of us gave ideas on how to make the calories work best. All you did was tell her being on 3rd shift is not an excuse and how your husband works 3rd shift and doesn't gain a pound...not helpful:) Anyways... Done with this discussion for good. OP, feel free to friend me if you want some support.

and where did I do that? I gave the advice of logging accurately and consistently...and in reasonable portions (given the op reaches for sugary carbs after night shift) etc and was given snark.

Guess what doing a couple night shifts a week doesn't cause weight gain esp 60lbs of it...esp when the rest of the week is "normal"...it's what is being eaten on the "normal" days that is causing so much weight gain...
  • Bearbo27
    Options

smh

and where did I do that? I gave the advice of logging accurately and consistently...and in reasonable portions (given the op reaches for sugary carbs after night shift) etc and was given snark.

Guess what doing a couple night shifts a week doesn't cause weight gain esp 60lbs of it...esp when the rest of the week is "normal"...it's what is being eaten on the "normal" days that is causing so much weight gain...

Ok, since I have to point it out...
    I work 12 hour night shifts on the weekends. I do great all week while im at home but then the weekend rolls around and all I want is quick energy in the form of sugary carbs. Im tired, my body is achy from long nights. Ive gained 60 lbs being on nights. Ive thought about changing shifts but it would be a tremendous pay loss.

it's not night shifts that cause the weight gain...it's eating too much food that did that.

My husband works night shifts too...he doesn't gain.

Log your food accurately and consistently and eat in reasonable portions.

This was your very first response to OP and states exactly what I said it did.

Anyways, OP wanted to obviously relate to other third shifters in weight loss. She NEVER stated that 3rd shift is the reason for her weight gain. She stated she gained 60 lbs while on 3rd shift. She admitted to snacking. We have all pointed out it is easy to snack when tired/bored.

Still trying to figure out why you threw out any input at all in this since you are obviously not on 3rd shift and cannot relate. Other posters offered advice to when they eat their meals and how to make it stretch. You threw out there that your husband doesn't gain on 3rd shift...again, not helpful :) So for the last time, have a nice day
  • SezxyStef
    edited July 2016
    Options

smh

I work 12 hour night shifts on the weekends. I do great all week while im at home but then the weekend rolls around and all I want is quick energy in the form of sugary carbs. Im tired, my body is achy from long nights. Ive gained 60 lbs being on nights. Ive thought about changing shifts but it would be a tremendous pay loss.

it's not night shifts that cause the weight gain...it's eating too much food that did that.

Anyways, OP wanted to obviously relate to other third shifters in weight loss. She NEVER stated that 3rd shift is the reason for her weight gain. She stated she gained 60 lbs while on 3rd shift. She admitted to snacking. We have all pointed out it is easy to snack when tired/bored.

Still trying to figure out why you threw out any input at all in this since you are obviously not on 3rd shift and cannot relate. Other posters offered advice to when they eat their meals and how to make it stretch. You threw out there that your husband doesn't gain on 3rd shift...again, not helpful :) So for the last time, have a nice day

I guess you missed line 3 where I said log accurately and consistently and eat in reasonable portions and you will get where you want to be.

Regardless of what shift I work now I have experience with shift work prior and now (since my husband works shifts) so I can relate even if you don't see it.

and the op did blame it even said considered not doing it but would be a pay cut...

And my husband doesn't gain on shifts because he is aware of how much he needs to eat and eats in reasonable portions.

I see blaming right there....and as I said in another post 60lbs is not from just night shifts...an extra 60 lbs requires and extra 210000 calories...a couple donuts a week won't do that.

There is only one way to ensure you lose weight or don't gain...ensure the CICO equation is in balance for your goals...regardless of what hours you work.

So again...if you want to harp on me go ahead ...because what I have said is true...and blaming anything but the amount of food you are putting in your mouth is counter productive to weight loss...as adults admit where we fail and fix it...

ps glad to see you were done with this discussion for good....:) maybe this time it will stick.
  • Bearbo27
    Options

smh

I guess you missed line 3 where I said log accurately and consistently and eat in reasonable portions and you will get where you want to be.

Regardless of what shift I work now I have experience with shift work prior and now (since my husband works shifts) so I can relate even if you don't see it.

and the op did blame it even said considered not doing it but would be a pay cut...

And my husband doesn't gain on shifts because he is aware of how much he needs to eat and eats in reasonable portions.

I see blaming right there....and as I said in another post 60lbs is not from just night shifts...an extra 60 lbs requires and extra 210000 calories...a couple donuts a week won't do that.

There is only one way to ensure you lose weight or don't gain...ensure the CICO equation is in balance for your goals...regardless of what hours you work.

So again...if you want to harp on me go ahead ...because what I have said is true...and blaming anything but the amount of food you are putting in your mouth is counter productive to weight loss...as adults admit where we fail and fix it...

ps glad to see you were done with this discussion for good....:) maybe this time it will stick.

I was done with the discussion until you started to deny you had said stuff you clearly had said. I'm going to call you out at that point, plus my kids have me awake when I'd rather be sleeping right now. For the record, you have the power to not respond back either ;) I saw where you had offered some advice, but ridicule will not help anyone. I'm pretty sure both her and I have admitted our issues with food. I haven't heard anything else from OP but I celebrated my first weight loss mini goal yesterday and so to suggest we are just laying around doing nothing but making excuses, is just not true.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

smh

I was done with the discussion until you started to deny you had said stuff you clearly had said. I'm going to call you out at that point, plus my kids have me awake when I'd rather be sleeping right now. For the record, you have the power to not respond back either ;) I saw where you had offered some advice, but ridicule will not help anyone. I'm pretty sure both her and I have admitted our issues with food. I haven't heard anything else from OP but I celebrated my first weight loss mini goal yesterday and so to suggest we are just laying around doing nothing but making excuses, is just not true.

I don't see where I have ridiculed anyone...including you.

I haven't denied anything.

I said my husband didn't gain and why not? it is due to him being aware of how much he needed to eat.
    I said log accurately and consistently (which you seem to gloss over and deny I said that by saying I didn't give advice)
    Being a shift worker (yes I have experience) is not a valid reason to gain weigh if you do what you need to do...
    All you did was tell her being on 3rd shift is not an excuse and how your husband works 3rd shift and doesn't gain a pound...not helpful:)

AS well I didn't say I was done with the conversation...when someone accuses me of stuff that I didn't do I will ensure that false words are eliminated.

regardless this isn't helpful to the OP esp since you seem a bit sensitive about this topic and are willing to derail with your sensitivities.

All the OP needs to do is log accurately and consistently and eat in reasonable portions because I will say it again...60lbs doesn't happen with 2 night shifts and the rest of the week being "normal"....prelog your meals, plan ahead, prep snacks etc.

If you want to lose weight you will and if you don't want to gain you do what you need to do regardless of what shift you work.

• 28barb205
    28barb205 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Those who dont work nights dont get it. They are the same people who consistantly call at noon to borrow a cup of sugar. Ive worked days and ive worked nights. I didnt have a weight problem when i worked days. I do now. There have been multiple studies linking night shift to increased risk of stroke, hypertension, obesity, etc. Some of us continue to work it for the money, the hours, the extra time with the kids, etc. I have my reasons and im stuck with it. I joined mfp for the support and the awsome tracking tool. Ive lost 7 lbs since starting ( yah! ).
    Not sure what snark is, but thats not what im here for. Sezxystef, maybe we should start over. Didnt intentionally mean to offend you, but your first post came off flippant and honestly offended me. No two bodies are the same and I know when my husband was on nights he had zero weight gain. Actually he lost because he was to tired to eat. And there was a tremendous amount of difference between us. He is a man. Higher metabolism, less emotional eating, and he is not as likely to sacrifice his sleep to wake up at noon and go to the kids ballgame or whatever. Point being, you cant say hes not fat so surely nights isnt contributing to the problem. Its not the problem, true, but it adds into the struggle.
    Im sorry if i was being offensive, once again, that is certainly not why im here. We are all adults from all walks, just here to talk about our own individual struggles and not to be insulted or judged for them.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Those who dont work nights dont get it. They are the same people who consistantly call at noon to borrow a cup of sugar. Ive worked days and ive worked nights. I didnt have a weight problem when i worked days. I do now. There have been multiple studies linking night shift to increased risk of stroke, hypertension, obesity, etc. Some of us continue to work it for the money, the hours, the extra time with the kids, etc. I have my reasons and im stuck with it. I joined mfp for the support and the awsome tracking tool. Ive lost 7 lbs since starting ( yah! ).
    Not sure what snark is, but thats not what im here for. Sezxystef, maybe we should start over. Didnt intentionally mean to offend you, but your first post came off flippant and honestly offended me. No two bodies are the same and I know when my husband was on nights he had zero weight gain. Actually he lost because he was to tired to eat. And there was a tremendous amount of difference between us. He is a man. Higher metabolism, less emotional eating, and he is not as likely to sacrifice his sleep to wake up at noon and go to the kids ballgame or whatever. Point being, you cant say hes not fat so surely nights isnt contributing to the problem. Its not the problem, true, but it adds into the struggle.
    Im sorry if i was being offensive, once again, that is certainly not why im here. We are all adults from all walks, just here to talk about our own individual struggles and not to be insulted or judged for them.

I've worked nights, I worked lots of shifts...I was military as well so my schedule was sometimes 24-48 hours straight...I get shift work....

That is why I get what being tired can do.

And yes if you track consistently and follow your plan (I prelog almost a full week) you will lose weight.

I get my husband not gaining...to a point but my reason for mentioning it is this...he currently works night shifts...so as a spouse of a shift worker and former shift worker I get all the issues.

Nights make it easy to over eat if you allow them to....being tired makes us choose quick and easy foods...I get that.

You are not offensive except my advice is valid...tracking consistently and eating reasonable portions is the way to do it...I could have went further with prelog, prep meals and eat things you love and crave in reasonable portions but didn't...sorry.

I find it interesting tho that the advice I gave was valid but dismissed because most here assumed I had no experience with nights....*raises eyebrows*
  • 28barb205
    Options
    Your advice isnt being dismissed. Its just the whole reason, the founding principal behind my fitness pal. Your just stating the obvious. " Jump the Atlantic, you'll be in England. " If it were that simple, we'd all be British. If weight loss were that simple, we'd all be skinny. It is a process, a journey. My original intent was simply seek out support, others who share this one ( of many) obstacles of mine..
    I am so glad to see I am not alone. On Monday morning as I walk out of the hospital feeling as though I were mauled by a bear, and all the daywalkers smile cheerfully and wish me a good morning, I will not secretly glare back from behind my sunglasses. I will simply smile and say good night, knowing there is a whole community of us hissing at the sunlight. And even if it is just for this one Monday, Sezxystef, I will think of you as I fly past Mcdonalds and raise my hands in victory. I may even sing a song. Im thinking maybe tom petty's song about not backing down..
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Your advice isnt being dismissed. Its just the whole reason, the founding principal behind my fitness pal. Your just stating the obvious. " Jump the Atlantic, you'll be in England. " If it were that simple, we'd all be British. If weight loss were that simple, we'd all be skinny. It is a process, a journey. My original intent was simply seek out support, others who share this one ( of many) obstacles of mine..
    I am so glad to see I am not alone. On Monday morning as I walk out of the hospital feeling as though I were mauled by a bear, and all the daywalkers smile cheerfully and wish me a good morning, I will not secretly glare back from behind my sunglasses. I will simply smile and say good night, knowing there is a whole community of us hissing at the sunlight. And even if it is just for this one Monday, Sezxystef, I will think of you as I fly past Mcdonalds and raise my hands in victory. I may even sing a song. Im thinking maybe tom petty's song about not backing down..

Think of my spouse as he does the same...and on Tuesday....

But it is as simple as I stated...logging accurately and consistently, staying in goal and eating the foods you want, love and crave in reasonable portions...

applying that simple thing can be difficult...due to triggers such as being tired but knowing it's a trigger planning for it and having something ready that will help you stay in goal.
  • Bearbo27
    Options

Think of my spouse as he does the same...and on Tuesday....

But it is as simple as I stated...logging accurately and consistently, staying in goal and eating the foods you want, love and crave in reasonable portions...

applying that simple thing can be difficult...due to triggers such as being tired but knowing it's a trigger planning for it and having something ready that will help you stay in goal.

Now THIS is good constructive advice :) I agree especially with your bottom suggestion. I bring small protein packed items such as hard boiled medium eggs (60 cal), Greek yogurts (100 cal), etc. If I get hungry, it helps keep me full.

OP, if the drive home from work is hard, bringing something small such as a hard boiled egg will help to hold back the intense hunger that might cause you to want to stop somewhere. McDonald's used to be my downfall too. When I was exhausted already and knowing it would be a while before I could sleep, I would stop through the drive through for a breakfast sandwich and coffee on the way home. Now, I've been making my own healthier version of an egg mcMuffin at home (240 cal) and it's been helping a lot.
  • 28barb205
    Options
    I was thinking maybe grapes. The sweet, the crunchy, and the not so messy in the car. That drive home gets me too
  • Bearbo27
    Options
    I was thinking maybe grapes. The sweet, the crunchy, and the not so messy in the car. That drive home gets me too

That's a great snack!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    McDonald's used to be my downfall too. When I was exhausted already and knowing it would be a while before I could sleep, I would stop through the drive through for a breakfast sandwich and coffee on the way home. Now, I've been making my own healthier version of an egg mcMuffin at home (240 cal) and it's been helping a lot.

290 Cal, 29 carb, 11 fat, 16 protein, 2 fibre (200 chol, 5 sat fat, 760 sodium) Egg McMuffin (McD Canada Web Site)
    vs
    261 Cal, 68.5 carb, 0.6 fat, 2.73 protein, 3.3 fibre (0 chol, 0.2 sat fat, 9 sodium) for 378g of grapes (about 13.25oz) (USDA 09132)

R U sure grapes are a good caloric bargain?
  • Bearbo27
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    McDonald's used to be my downfall too. When I was exhausted already and knowing it would be a while before I could sleep, I would stop through the drive through for a breakfast sandwich and coffee on the way home. Now, I've been making my own healthier version of an egg mcMuffin at home (240 cal) and it's been helping a lot.

290 Cal, 29 carb, 11 fat, 16 protein, 2 fibre (200 chol, 5 sat fat, 760 sodium) Egg McMuffin (McD Canada Web Site)
    vs
    261 Cal, 68.5 carb, 0.6 fat, 2.73 protein, 3.3 fibre (0 chol, 0.2 sat fat, 9 sodium) for 378g of grapes (about 13.25oz) (USDA 09132)

Your calculations are for 378g of grapes which comes out to 13.33 oz. that's a few oz shy of a pound of grapes. Who eats a pound of grapes for a snack? In fact I just went and threw my big bag of grapes on the scale and it was just over 13 oz. That is WAY more than I would ever eat in one sitting. We're talking about snacks here, not a meal.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

vs

Your calculations are for 378g of grapes which comes out to 13.33 oz. that's a few oz shy of a pound of grapes. Who eats a pound of grapes for a snack? In fact I just went and threw my big bag of grapes on the scale and it was just over 13 oz. That is WAY more than I would ever eat in one sitting. We're talking about snacks here, not a meal.

My bad: I was talking about breakfast! (or post night shift dinner)
  • 28barb205
    Options
    PAV888, I'm sure that anything coming from mcdonalds is pure evil and that if I allow myself into the drive through, Im not likely to stop at an egg mcmuffin. Most of the time when im on my way home, i just need the quick sugar fix, a handful would do, to give me the strength to drive on by. I have a 20 mile trip home, but if i can make it out of town, the rest of the drive is woods and short of asking a squirrel to borrow some nuts, I'm in the clear.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    PAV888, I'm sure that anything coming from mcdonalds is pure evil and that if I allow myself into the drive through, Im not likely to stop at an egg mcmuffin. Most of the time when im on my way home, i just need the quick sugar fix, a handful would do, to give me the strength to drive on by. I have a 20 mile trip home, but if i can make it out of town, the rest of the drive is woods and short of asking a squirrel to borrow some nuts, I'm in the clear.

Emergency Grilled Squirrel on a stick?

YMMV, and I've most certainly modified WHAT I get at McD's, and Tim Horton's, and Wendy's and most certainly Subway... but I haven't stopped going to any of these places when convenient/necessary/appropriate.

The beauty of MFP is that you log, and then you can evaluate what you ate and whether it was worth it to you in the context of your overall day.

It does remain up to you to then internalize these lessons.

I had some Indian sweets a few months ago and went: "oh crap: these weren't worth the calories". A few days ago I had another two... and then realized I had downed 850 calories. I am pretty sure that next time I will be picking something else!!!