Flexibility and squat depth

2»

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Don't skimp on the warm up. My coach always tells me that if you don't have time to warm up, you don't have time to workout. I have crappy ankle mobility/dorsiflexion. One thing that helps me with depth is putting small plates under my heels to improve the angle. Worth a try at least
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I am on week 9 of Strong Curves and am still struggling with squat depth. I am really only doing half squats and when I try to go lower then my back rounds and shoulders hunch up. After some research it seems that I really need to foam roll, especially hip flexors (have been using for a warm up, but probably not thoroughly enough).
    Has anyone done anything else that helped improve their flexibility with squats?

It could be mobility related in the hips or often in the ankles (lack of ankle mobility can cause movement issues elsewhere) and it can also be balance related.

I would look into some of Dean Somerset's material since it may help you assess. There are a few tests you can do to help diagnose where the problem could be occurring.

One simple thing to check would be to try goblet squatting to see if you can get significantly lower. If so, it's possible that the issue is proprioceptive and not necessarily (or exclusively) mobility related.

Look for Dean's material and also check out the rockback test, it could be relevant here.

Could also be lack of mobility in shoulders/thoracic spine as the OP is compensating by rounding back to try and hold the bar.

Love Dean Somererset's stuff. I get his newsletter and he had this really slick 2 part mobility assessment

http://deansomerset.com/the-worlds-easiest-assessment-and-how-to-tell-if-you-need-more-mobility-instantly/

Not rocket science, but gives a pretty decent starting point.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    jgubdlach wrote: »
    If your back rounds it's a flexibility or range of motion issue. Tight hip flexor will not cause rounding of back. Look more to trying to loosen and stretch calves,hamstrings, along with the rest of your body. Looks like to me you need to regress and increase flexibility and range of motion before you squat with weight.
    Disagree. If it rounds, it's a form issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Or just a weak core issue. But, yeah - it's not flexibility.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    gmallan wrote: »
    Don't skimp on the warm up. My coach always tells me that if you don't have time to warm up, you don't have time to workout. I have crappy ankle mobility/dorsiflexion. One thing that helps me with depth is putting small plates under my heels to improve the angle. Worth a try at least

warm up especially for technical lifts is super important.
    When I first get under the bar I look like a newb squatter/baby deer. It's ridiculous. And I've been squatting for years lol- just takes time to warm up into it for me.

Don't skimp.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

When I first get under the bar I look like a newb squatter/baby deer. It's ridiculous. And I've been squatting for years lol- just takes time to warm up into it for me.

Don't skimp.

Ha. I'm the same. Part of it is age for me I think. Some days I'll get under an empty bar and it's like my body has forgotten what it's doing.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

Don't skimp.

Ha. I'm the same. Part of it is age for me I think. Some days I'll get under an empty bar and it's like my body has forgotten what it's doing.

I get under the empty bar to warm up and it feel sooooo heavy to my cold muscles and i struggle to lift it , i wonder how i ever manage to squat heavy.
  • SerenaMcD43
    SerenaMcD43 Posts: 20 Member
    Thank you @Packerjohn, I did those two checks and can easily do both. @gmallan and @JoRocka, I have thankfully realised early on that a good warm up is mega important so as to avoid any injuries.
    @SonyaCele, I had a try with TRX squats and could, to my surprise, easily do a deep squat and not just parallel. Thinking that this does indeed point towards a weak core, as some other posters have suggested. I will replace barbell squats with the TRX while I build core strength and learn to really come up pushing through my glutes.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Thank you @Packerjohn, I did those two checks and can easily do both. @gmallan and @JoRocka, I have thankfully realised early on that a good warm up is mega important so as to avoid any injuries.
    @SonyaCele, I had a try with TRX squats and could, to my surprise, easily do a deep squat and not just parallel. Thinking that this does indeed point towards a weak core, as some other posters have suggested. I will replace barbell squats with the TRX while I build core strength and learn to really come up pushing through my glutes.

The TRX squats or holding onto something when you squat just help you stay upright. Notice how in that picture the shin is almost vertical whereas in the one above the shin is more angled (more ankle dorsiflexion). I usually do a deep squat as part of my warm up holding onto something, working through my ankles as well. If you tend to fall over backwards or have your heels lift with a body weight squat to depth - try plates under your heels.

Glute activation in your warm up will also help but you might also have to work on glute firing patterns. I could activate my glutes fine but had to train my glutes to fire at the bottom of the lift. It's still not always automatic but getting there.