Mud run tips?

Options
I am participating in Foam Fest on Saturday (first mud run/organized run). For those of you who have participated in mud runs before, do you have any tips or things that you wish you would have know on your first run?

The list of items they suggested we bring:
ID
towels
trash bags for your clothes and the seats on your car

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    obviously a change of clothes.
    flip flops.
    gallon jugs of water to wash off with.
    plenty of towels.
    sun screen.
    double knot your shoes, then wrap them on with duck tape.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say to wear old shoes you don't care about, and to toss 'em after. But I bought myself a pair of Brooks TrueGrit. They're brown, so it doesn't matter one bit if they get muddy. They have AWESOME traction, and I speed past people in their mowing shoes on the slippery parts of the course. My best advice is to get some shoes with really good traction, and don't toss 'em after the race, because once you do one mud race.... you're gonna want to do another!

Also, take care, be smart on the obstacles, and do your best not to get injured. I've got a nagging foot tendon injury from a Warrior Dash over a year ago that I could have easily prevented if I wasn't acting like a dummy, haha!

Best of luck and have fun!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    don't bother waiting in line to rinse off - the mud is a badge of honor wear it proudly but do change your shoes and unless you're wearing expensive socks ditch them. do not i repeat do not wear the tshirt you get from participating in the race on race day - you have not earned that tshirt so you should not wear it. pet peeve of mine.

definitely double knot your laces and make sure they are tight but i never duct tape and i've done 5 mud runs.

have fun, help others, ask for help when you need it.

as for tips or what i wished i had known before my first mud run - i wish i had known i how little upper body strength i actually had. rugged maniac was my first (and well second and third) and let me tell you the walls are HIGH! i'm getting better at them but they are my nemesis. DAMN WALLS! find the photographer on the course - be a picture hog! get good and muddy, show your "school spirit". have patience and be courteous to everyone on the course (ie don't get pissed if people come from behind to tackle and obstacle while you're standing there).

get your free beer right away
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bring Wet towels in ziploc baggies to wipe off your hands, ears, face and all that when you are done. The lines for water spray were usually super long and SUPER COLD water. Wear clothes that are tighter fitting, as when you get mudded down, if your shorts are loose....you might be giving someone a show. Just a few tips :)
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Is it a 5k? you will have fun! don't run through the middle of the mud if you don't wanna get stuck or lose your shoes
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    foam runs typically are 5ks.

i second wear tight fitting clothes and crop pants that cover your knees.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    and get there early. I've had some nightmares with poorly managed runs... packet pickup, etc. If you have a scheduled start time, ignore it and get there as early as you possibly can.

As much fun as the warrior dash was, the hardest obstacles were the dreaded "packet pickup" and "check-in" stations.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have only done a Warrior Dash, but here are a few things that helped me...

I bought a pair of cheap lifting gloves. They helped my grip on ropes and even wet and muddy were VERY helpful.
    I did wear an old pair of shoes. At a WD you can donate them after the race.
    I wore surf type shorts so that when wet, they did not cling to my legs.

Have fun!!!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your tips! It is a 5k. I know that I will have fun. I am just the type of person that likes to pre-plan things and know what to expect. I just don't want to forget something...still sure I will though! Thanks again!