Need More Protein In My Shake

Options
Nightmare_Queen88
Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
My shake:
1c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1c Low carb vanilla protein powder (16g of protein)
1c frozen strawberries

How can I add more protein?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,973 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Buy a better protein powder? 1 cup for 16g is pretty low in protein. Is that for one "scoop"? You typed 1 cup.

Use real milk. Not much protein in almond milk. If you meant 1 scoop, then add two instead.

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Raw liquid egg whites. You can't taste a difference, and it makes the shake nice and creamy, with an added thickness. I do it all the time!
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    Buy a better protein powder? 1 cup for 16g is pretty low in protein. Is that for one "scoop"? You typed 1 cup.

Use real milk. Not much protein in almond milk. If you meant 1 scoop, then add two instead.

Sorry yes I meant one scoop. I bought it because it was low carb. Next time I'll shop around a bit before I settle.

• Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    Raw liquid egg whites. You can't taste a difference, and it makes the shake nice and creamy, with an added thickness. I do it all the time!

I thought about that. I was afraid it would taste bad. But I'll definitely try this. Thank you. :)
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You might want to get pasteurized eggs so as to protect yourself from food poisoning, but that was the secret ingredient of Orange Julius shakes, and it did give them a lovely texture.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you don't have an issue with soy, throw in a chunk of tofu. You'll barely (if at all) taste it.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Definitely don't want food poisoning. :)
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    CMB1979 wrote: »
    If you don't have an issue with soy, throw in a chunk of tofu. You'll barely (if at all) taste it.

I have no issue with soy. But I've never tried tofu. Thought it might taste odd. Definitely worth a try though. Couldn't hurt. Thanks. :)
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    I tried egg whites and it's great. I don't taste them at all. I will need to invest in a better protein powder though because mine is a bit chalky tasting. Maybe I'm not blending it enough? I don't know. But it's progress as far as adding protein. I'll try the tofu as well. Who knows I may like it. :)
  • SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I thought I had commented, but I don't see it here?
    Have you tried Quest Protein Powders? I enjoy the Chocolate Peanut Butter ones, made with almond milk, AMAZING! They have other flavors as well that are yummy too and kick a sweet craving. If I am super hungry, I will eat one or two hard boiled eggs with my shake. Fat Free Greek yogurt is also another option that will kick up your protein too. If you would like, add me as a friend, I would love to share ideas! Good Luck.
  • vitty1
    vitty1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    whey isolate powder from a bulk food store...

I use GNC advanced protein power- 30 g protein 2 fat, 3 carbs... per scoop
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    vitty1 wrote: »
    whey isolate powder from a bulk food store...

I use GNC advanced protein power- 30 g protein 2 fat, 3 carbs... per scoop

I will definitely have to check that out. :)
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    SaraMA1 wrote: »
    I thought I had commented, but I don't see it here?
    Have you tried Quest Protein Powders? I enjoy the Chocolate Peanut Butter ones, made with almond milk, AMAZING! They have other flavors as well that are yummy too and kick a sweet craving. If I am super hungry, I will eat one or two hard boiled eggs with my shake. Fat Free Greek yogurt is also another option that will kick up your protein too. If you would like, add me as a friend, I would love to share ideas! Good Luck.

I'm new to protein powder. But that definitely sounds yummy. I'll have to go by my local vitamin shoppe and see if I can't find the chocolate peanut butter one. I'm going to try different ones to see which one I'll stick with. And yes I'll add you. :)
  • babicak3z
    babicak3z Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I use iso-100 protein for many reasons 1 all the flavors are yummy even when you add just water 2. It's low in sugar only has 1 gram which is important with weightloss and 3. 25 grams of protein per scoop. I looked on my container and it's 2g of carbs so you might want to check that out looks like it has everything you need I've been using iso-100 for
    about 3years AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I buy it at the vitamin shoppe
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    CMB1979 wrote: »

I have no issue with soy. But I've never tried tofu. Thought it might taste odd. Definitely worth a try though. Couldn't hurt. Thanks. :)

Then get soft tofu if you want a shake-like texture. Get firm tofu if you want something closer to pudding/ice cream. It has very little taste on its own so it takes on the taste of whatever you cook/mix it with. In my experience, it softens the flavor a little - so I'd add a few more strawberries.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    @CMB1979 I'll definitely do that. I prefer more of an ice cream texture I suppose. And I usually use 6 strawberries. But I'll add more when I use tofu. Thanks. :)
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Options
    babicak3z wrote: »
    I use iso-100 protein for many reasons 1 all the flavors are yummy even when you add just water 2. It's low in sugar only has 1 gram which is important with weightloss and 3. 25 grams of protein per scoop. I looked on my container and it's 2g of carbs so you might want to check that out looks like it has everything you need I've been using iso-100 for
    about 3years AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I buy it at the vitamin shoppe

Ooh I'll definitely check that out. More Protein and less carbs is always good. :)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What is your daily protein goal? It should not be more than 60g
  • 7bull
    7bull Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't use any of the processed products. 2 tbsp of chia seed, I whole banana, 1 tsp of cocoa powder, 1 tbsp of Kirkland brand natural peanut butter, 2 ice cubes, 1 measured cup of whole milk. Blend, let sit in the fridge for about 10 minutes to allow the chia seed to gel and keep the ice from watering it down and BAM, you got a chocolate peanut butter banana protein shake, that's thick, like a legit shake!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    7bull wrote: »
    I don't use any of the processed products. 2 tbsp of chia seed, I whole banana, 1 tsp of cocoa powder, 1 tbsp of Kirkland brand natural peanut butter, 2 ice cubes, 1 measured cup of whole milk. Blend, let sit in the fridge for about 10 minutes to allow the chia seed to gel and keep the ice from watering it down and BAM, you got a chocolate peanut butter banana protein shake, that's thick, like a legit shake!

yeah, but then it has even less protein than the shake she's currently drinking.

Anyways, OP. I agree try another protein powder next time. most of the ones i would purchase have 120-ish calories and 25g of protein. Combined with soy milk, milk, greek yogurt, etc. It can easily be a 30+g protein shake.

For now if you must drink up the one you have you can add greek yogurt, silken tofu, pb2, cottage cheese, etc.