Diet soda

Options
freerange
freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/10/diet-soda-health-problems/2507219/
study has found that diet sodas may be linked to a number of health problems from obesity to diabetes to heart disease, just like their more sugary counterparts. [quote/]
One large study found that people who drank artificially sweetened soda were more likely to experience weight gain than those who drank non-diet soda. Others found those who drank diet soda had twice the risk of developing metabolic syndrome, often a precursor to cardiovascular disease, than those who abstained. [quote/]

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Yep - you'll get lots of reponses from all places on the spectrum between "stay away from it, it's poison!" to "I'm never giving it up." It's a recurring discussion here at MFP and you'll see lots of "evidence" to support all opinions.

What I think is interesting is the idea that the artificail sweeteners tricks your brain - it thinks it's getting something sweet, but when the sweetness turn out to be artificial your brain then turns on the craving for actual sweets.

I'm in the "everything in moderation" camp. Drinking the diet soda certainly saves me loads of calories and I'm not a coffee drinker so I get my morning caffiene from diet coke.

And I think everyone is different. For me, it's not the Diet Coke leaving me wanting sugar but if I have some ice cream or a candy bar I definitely want more.