Weird question

Options
Hi all
I wanted to know when taking pics to check your progress do the pics have to be taken at exactly the same angle? Would it be not accurate if one pic is taken closer to a mirror and the other is further ? Would that make a difference? I've taken pixs every few weeks and despite not seeing much of a change in scale and no inch loss in the pictures I can see a small difference . I wasn't sure if I'm taking the pics correctly . I tried to take them in the mirror standing at same distance n took them from the front and side angle.

Replies

• klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes, you want the pictures to be at the same angle in roughly the same light...basically you want as much in the picture to be exactly the same so that the only differences that you could see are of your body

Good luck!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I take my progress pictures in the same spot each time. I prop up my phone on my dresser and use the timer as well. I think that works better than a selfie in the mirror since my arm isn't blocking my body and I get a clearer picture.

ETA: I also take my measurements when I take pictures. This way if the pictures don't show progress the numbers do.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I take my progress pictures once a month in the same spot, same pose, similar/same clothes.
    I didn't see much difference in pictures until I had lost 10-15 lbs.

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I try to always take them in the same place, same distance, same pose etc. Seeing changes will depend on your starting weight. The more weight you have to lose the longer it will take to see a change. I think for me it took about 20 lbs before it was 'obvious' - I was also about 100 pounds overweight at the time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to tell the difference better if the clothing and angle and distance are similar.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you take them all at exactly the same angle and lighting with the same clothes and background, you'll be able to stitch them all together to make a weird GIF of yourself getting repeatedly fatter and thinner, like a pulsating jellyfish, and then post it on Facebook to freak people out.

Of course, you need them not to be underwear pics for that (or nude). Otherwise you have to keep the GIF for your own private enjoyment.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I typically do mine in the same position, and have saved the tank top from my very first pic, which I put on occasionally. I also have a t-shirt and pair of sweats from about 45lbs down that I take pics in still - I got down to a 70lb loss before getting pregnant and am now +8lbs with 15 weeks left.

I also take measurements regularly but often only take pics when I'm getting discouraged or not seeing change so I can compare them. The really fun one was day one of my journey vs 22 weeks pregnant. My belly was almost the same size!