Couch to 5k

Options
Wondering what people get up to during the day off.
Apart from walking, swimming & cycling any other ideas

Please feel free to add me as well
(UK - Basingstoke)

Replies

• niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I did C25K in 2014 and I did quite a bit of walking and some cycling in my days off running. I think strength training in a gym might also work but it's also important to note that you do need some rest days.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I occasionally liked the idea of doing pilates or yoga but in practice that was rare lol. I'm just too lazy.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    DaniettaF wrote: »
    I occasionally liked the idea of doing pilates or yoga but in practice that was rare lol. I'm just too lazy.

Forgot about that - I did some Wii Fit yoga sessions in my off days as well!
  • donnahibberd
    donnahibberd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've just started c25k. Just completed the first day right to the end. Its tougher than you think.
    Well done to both of you xx
  • ku1014
    ku1014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k isn't bad I've done it before. I agree with donnahibberd it's not as easy as you think but you can definitely do it! I have suggested it to my best friend and she loves it!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Go for it!! C25K is where I started running...it was tough as I Didn't and still don't have the typical willowy body type of a runner lol (thankfully!! I am much more muscular...which pays off later!) When you're starting, your pace/speed is important to focus on to ensure you don't develop injuries!! It's not distance.. but duration/time spent running that helps develop your skills. There is a really good FREE app you can use called Gipis that is a paced based planning tool. Enter your personal information, set a goal, how many times you want to run a week and it will give you the plan. (Runkeeper and MapmyRun are also both good to plan routes, but dont have a pace setter alerts when you go too fast or slow) I'm now using it to half marathon train 3 years after first staring to run for pleasure...trust me you can get to love the time you spend running =) I am without doubt that strength training really makes a HUGE difference in my 5k and 10k times, HIIT took more than 8 min off my 5k time. SOme days you just wont want to do it, but ignore that feeling and keep the promise to yourself to go. I've never regretted a run or a work out. =)