I don't understand! Someone please explain this to me

Options
I go for long walks, daily, and I used to log how long I walked for and at what pace I walked, then after a while I decided to let my phone count the steps for me on the app instead of logging it
I noticed, when you log, the app states your burning alot more than when it counts your steps
Which one are you supposed to go off?
Do I log how long I walk? Or do I let my phone count the steps and not log?

Just to clear up, when I log the walks, I don't have my phone in my pocket x

Replies

• SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't really know to be honest and I am dubious about the accuracy of fitness apps therefore if you're trying to lose I would log whichever shows you burning the least number of calories add is better to underestimate rather than overestimate calorie burn no?
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Does your app just count your steps or does it tell you how many miles per hour you are going also. You can go for a long slow walk or a long fast paced walk....there would be a calorie burn difference there
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It just counts the steps, it doesn't tell me how fast I go or how far
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't think all steps are created equal, you know? I can get a ton of steps in shopping, for example, and I don't believe for one minute that it is a significant calorie burn. A nice fast, uphill/downhill hike will burn some real calories. Try an app like Runkeeper which tracks and calculates calories based on speed, distance and... I think...elevation gains (not sure)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I jog log steps for walks, playing golf and even my LSD runs. I may be under estimating my calorie burn but everyone says the burns are overstated anyway,so, perhaps, this evens it out.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Calories = Miles * Weight (lbs) * 0.53
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

i thought it was 0.63 for running, 0.3 for walking?
  • tj0861
    tj0861 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't think all steps are created equal, you know? I can get a ton of steps in shopping, for example, and I don't believe for one minute that it is a significant calorie burn. A nice fast, uphill/downhill hike will burn some real calories.

I agree; not all steps are equal. Even counting distance by steps isn't exact; my stride and yours are probably different lengths, and most apps are based on an average stride length.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

i thought it was 0.63 for running, 0.3 for walking?

Yes, this ^