Stomach has gone flabby!

Options
Hi all,

I'm new here and its nice to meet you all.

I have been losing weight over the last few months with the help of Myfitnesspal. I have about a stone to go to get to my goal weight.

What I have found is my tummy has suddenly gone extrememly wobbly and saggy.

I have done some internet searches which suggest that I have lost visceral fat and am now left with subcutaneous fat, hence my tummy having a 'rippling and bouncing' effect.

What are your thoughts on this please guys?

Regards,

Rick

My stats:

Previous weight: 13st 8lbs :o
Current weight: 12st :)
Goal weight: 11st B)

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I go extremely squidgy all over while cutting. I took a break recently that became longer than intended due to flu. Firmed up nicely all over! Now, a few weeks back into cutting, I've gone all soft again, particularly noticeable in my belly when bouncing about during a workout. My legs will follow suit shortly no doubt.

It's just become one of those things I need to put up with until I reach/get a bit closer to goal.
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, glad to hear i'm not alone on this! :)

It deters me a bit, as it feels like I'm putting weight back on, but the scales prove otherwise

Regards,

Rick
  • mayburcm1
    mayburcm1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have found in the past that when I lose weight before it disappears it gets really squishy first, a lot less dense.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Muscles get soft and "flabby" from not using them. What you're speaking here of is just excess fat. Continue calorie deficit to reduce it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    mayburcm1 wrote: »
    I have found in the past that when I lose weight before it disappears it gets really squishy first, a lot less dense.

Yes sure this is a thing. I notice that to the touch the skin is squidgy and a bit cold, then within a couple of days flat and a bit firmer. Almost like it happens in layers/cycles but each time preceding a drop in weight.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far!!

Somewhere on the world wide web, I came across the phrase "The Whoosh Effect"... I linked to a forum post about this odd thing that our body does. A lot of great information from people that back up what others on this thread are saying. Expect some great losses soon!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/797688/experience-with-the-whoosh
  • Ricksh1000
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, i'll keep plugging away, it just felt strange :D

abitofbliss, thankyou, that is exactly how i'm losing the weight. Very much nothing and then loads all at once!
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You weren't so big that excess skin will be an issue. Keep going and your skin elasticity should sort itself out over time.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ricksh1000 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm new here and its nice to meet you all.
    I have been losing weight over the last few months with the help of Myfitnesspal. I have about a stone to go to get to my goal weight.
    What I have found is my tummy has suddenly gone extrememly wobbly and saggy.
    I have done some internet searches which suggest that I have lost visceral fat and am now left with subcutaneous fat, hence my tummy having a 'rippling and bouncing' effect.
    What are your thoughts on this please guys?
    Regards,
    Rick
    My stats:
    Previous weight: 13st 8lbs :o
    Current weight: 12st :)
    Goal weight: 11st B)

Losing visceral fat is making your waistline smaller? That is great news! Did you take measurements? Did your pant waist size come down? I found that my stomach got a little squishy when I lost some abdomen inches also. But the skin did firm up again and get tighter over time. It may have to with losing weight quickly. Once you get to maintenance the skin may snap back a bit and adjust. Congratulations losing weight!

(Edited typo )
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I Iost 30lbs. It took 6 months for my tummy skin to tighten back up. Stick with it.
  • Ricksh1000
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately I didn't take any measurements of waist. I've only ever measured my weight.
    My guide for size has been trouser waist. I was stretching 34" waist jeans to begin with. I'm now finding i have some room spare in my 32" (which is nice).

I never thought about skin recovering it's tension :o Is this something I can expect at my young age of 48? :)