Is the food diary a life long endeavor or does it ever stop?

Options
Hello all!

I am fairly new to the entire logging in of my caloric intake. I tried it once before by writing it down in a physical journal and got tired of it.

Logging into a website each day makes it a bit more tolerable, but it is definitely not something that I would prefer to do for the rest of my life in order to lose and maintain my weight goals.

Is the food diary in general/ or usually something that requires a lifelong commitment, or is it something that you can eventually ween off of and maintain your weight goals naturally/ or second nature?

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I foudn MFP much easier than the paper journal. My phone is always with me and I can also log off line and sync later. With a paper journal that was always a mission.
    When I started I said I wanted to do this for two years max. But as my goals shifted it will take longer to get there. Plus by that stage it was just a habit, going on 2.5 years now closing in on 1 000 days :-)
    Will it be for life? I doubt it. I think I will stop for a while once I have a comfortable maintenace routine and only return if I decide that I am reaching my upper action limit (if that ever happens). But at the same time I don't mind continueing logging for a long tiem either. As said it is a habit and at present, with most of my recipes have been loaded, it is rally quite easy to log
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It is quick and convenient to log on here (web or phone) but no it doesn't have to be forever.
    It's just a tool that educates you at first about calorie density / serving sizes / food choices and then supports the good habits you create over time.

I find I can maintain at goal weight without food logging but it's there to fall back on if I need (or want) it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    Previously, with other methods, I've managed to stick with logging for 3 weeks. They were just too complicated and time consuming. Fortunately, each time I lost the weight I needed to lose during the 3 weeks of logging, and a few weeks after.

This time I knew I needed to stick with it for more than 3 weeks. I figured I'd give it 6 weeks. Fortunately, MFP is really easy to use so I stuck with it like glue for 16 weeks. Then I took a month off the logging. Then I returned to logging for another 16 weeks. Then I took about 6 weeks off logging. And since then I've been logging during the week and about half my weekends. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It depends. Some people track calories/macros several years into maintenance. I too thought I'd be doing that for the rest of my life, but it suddenly changed last summer when I got bored with it, it felt like too much hassle, meaningless and inaccurate, I wanted to listen more to my body's needs, and I felt I had learnt enough about portion sizes, making my own food choices, hunger and satiety cues, environment control, to maintain my weight. In short, I had learnt to eat. I had counted calories before, memorized some arbitrary eating rules, but I hadn't learnt to eat, just to count calories, and I regained. I think that's a fundamental difference.

Some kind of awareness and/or adjustment of eating habits is necessary. It doesn't have to be an enormous change, but it has to stick.

I still log my intake, but only roughly, weigh and count, but mainly because it's a natural extention of my meal planning, and I weigh myself every day, take the weekly average, and aim to stay within a range. It has worked well; I hit goal weight in October 2014, and my confidence is growing.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I find it quick and convenient..I've been logging so long that I think that I would be able to mentally log if I had to...but I'm here for the people. My fit-fam is what keeps me accountable, moving, and inspired..so I have become a permanent resident. 2 years 4 months..and counting!!! ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lots of threads about this on this forum if you look.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. For me, it's necessary.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I need the numbers in my face to prevent myself from making bad decisions. It only takes like 5 minutes a day to log everything in MFP. 891 day streak. Would be almost 1100, but missed 1 day (damn super bowl 3 years go).
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for 4 years. 3 of those years I logged consistently, rarely missing a day. For the past year I've been logging on and off. If I feel that my eating is slipping then I start logging again. For me it will be something that I will always do. The more you do it the more you build your database of food and the easier it gets. Now it takes me less than five minutes to log a days worth of eating.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just my personal experience... Dropped the weight I needed to drop in a few short months, then maintained for a year (with logging). Lifestyle changed after six months - new city, new job, new house, new routine. Year two, gained back 25% of the original weight lost; felt fine. Year three, gained back an extra 25% of the original weight lost, felt ok. New lifestyle change - new city, new job, new house, new routine. And hello, year four - all of the weight gained back... and now I'm back to logging again.

For your question - overall, it depends on the person. Most people are able to stop logging and maintain for quite a while... but I would note that for me, changes to my routine meant I was not *quite* as conscious of the slide.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This is a personal decision. It does not have to be a life long thing that you do, but it is just a tool.

It is not a law or rule that is to be broken. It is like making a grocery list or a task/to do list, or keeping an on ongoing schedule, these are all necessary things we do in life to stay on track, so decide if the food/exercise journal is something you need to stay on track in the future or not.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I need to keep logging, unless I want to keep gaining and losing the same 7 pounds again and again. I just finished losing the 7 pounds, again, and I'd like to keep it that way.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    That depends on YOU. Some people have to log forever. Some don't. Some people learn portion sizes and accurate eyeballing through calorie counting, others never do. I personally do believe I will be logging for the rest of my life. I don't mind. I wouldn't buy something expensive without checking my bank account, so I wouldn't eat something without checking I have the calories for it.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    For me, logging is what makes the difference between being able to lose weight and fooling myself that I am eating "pretty well." I'm not a good natural judge of how much I am consuming although I've gotten a little better after being on MFP for a while. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to eating for me. I like knowing so I log.

It takes an investment of time at the beginning when you are figuring everything out, but it gets a LOT easier as you go. Stick with it. After a while it only takes a few minutes a day and is second nature. Some things that make it pretty easy for me are saving favorite meals (which I prefer to creating a recipe because its easier to adjust the ingredients), saving favorite ingredients (I also use meal function for that), using the copy meal function, and the bar code function. Good luck!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    If I commit to logging every bite, lick, and taste, then I am less likely to...well...bite, lick and taste, because I don't like figuring how to log those pesky smidgens. Sometimes those innocent bits and bites add up to a few hundred calories, which is the difference between maintaining and "creeping". I need to keep logging.

I know not everyone does...my buddy Clay just hops on the scale every morning and if he's gained a couple of lbs he cuts back for a few days until he likes what he sees on the scale. I don't think he has ever logged a bite in his life...
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I've not logged for months and I've not gained. I'm fact I've lost through exercise! But I logged for 3ish years before that, you hsve to learn how to eat within cals or you WILL gain! X
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Having been overweight for a good part of the last 20 years has made it impossible for me to remember how to eat properly. Logging helps me to visualize what a proper amount of food looks like. I stopped logging for the better part of a year and gained back almost 30 lbs so I know I obviously can't stop yet.

I think that in time I will be able to adjust to the new normal and then I may not need to log everyday but for now I know it works for me so I will commit to doing it because I'd rather take 15 minutes of my day to log than go back to being as fat as I was when I started this journey almost 5 years ago ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For me, it was just a teaching tool. I've been in maintenance for over three years and haven't logged a thing in that time save for early on in the maintenance process to spot check.

I did log for about nine months while losing weight...for me it was just a learning process, I never had any intention of logging for all of eternity...that's not the "lifestyle change" I was looking for. I plan on being around for a good 40-50 years longer and I think it pretty unrealistic that I would actually log in a diary for the next 50 years.