Bicycling for toning?

Options
2»

Replies

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If you can put on clothing, grab your water bottle and take a drink, and ride with no hands, your core is plenty strong. You are seated on a saddle! Soreness (or fatigue) in the lower back are from eccentric contraction of muscles that are design for concentric contraction. For the neck and upper back/shoulder, especially in an extreme aerodynamic pose, the muscles are contracted for prolonged periods. Strength/resistance training is not going to do anything more effective than spending time on the bike and holding that pose. Strength/resistance training serves other purposes especially doing the off season but a waste of time if your goal is to stay seated on a saddle (unless you have other health issues that impact your ability to stay balanced on a bike).
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    OP, I bicycle and it does make my legs and behind look nice and firm and toned. I also do the elliptical, swim, run, walk, and lift weights. It makes a huge difference in the way my body looks. My sister and I are the same height and wear the same size, I'm 43 shes 41, I exercise daily and she doesn't at all, she weighs less than me but I look way better! It completely annoys her, hahaha, but I workout hard and shes a couch potato! LOL...not that she doesnt look good but my body isnt showing my age the way hers is. Just being active makes a difference. :)