HELP- Realistic healthy eating budget

Options
For the first time in my life, I have a budget for healthy food. (I've always had to scrape by) I am looking for some guidance on a healthy food budget- Low as possible please! Think cheap but healthy. I have no idea what to buy when I go shopping today. Any guidance is much appreciated!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I am trying to save money I center my meals around frozen vegetables, dried beans, oats, potatoes, pasta, and inexpensive fresh fruits and vegetables (will depend on the season and your area, but could include stuff like cabbage, carrots, apples, oranges, onions, collard greens, etc).
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    When I am trying to save money I center my meals around frozen vegetables, dried beans, oats, potatoes, pasta, and inexpensive fresh fruits and vegetables (will depend on the season and your area, but could include stuff like cabbage, carrots, apples, oranges, onions, collard greens, etc).

^ I agree with this. Focus on an inexpensive grocery store like Aldi and shop for frozen meats, vegetables, and fruit/berries. Fill in with fresh when you can and it's on sale and buy plenty of dried food and even canned foods such as canned vegetables, sauces, tuna and chicken if there's a good deal. Things like beans and rice make an incredibly inexpensive and nutritious meal. Focus on getting plenty of good fats and protein, and make sure you're getting your micronutrients and fiber. Those and moderate calorie consumption are really the only requirements for a healthy diet.
  • Srogerscpa
    Srogerscpa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I only buy fresh vegetables and fruits and meats when they are on sale and center my meals around that. Then go online and find healthy recipes that include what you have on hand. Buy meats in bulk when on sale and freeze.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Similar topic came up here recently:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10421690/

There is some good advice on cutting the cost of healthy eating which I think could be summarized as:
    • Consider the cost of protein first
    • Rice n Beans
    • Frozen/canned Veg
    • Batch cook
    • Shop smart

I think that providing an itemized budget is going to be difficult because you need to understand the costs at the persons location (I'm UK based and so couldn't comment on what was cheap in the US for example) and you need to understand what the person likes to eat and what they are willing to compromise on and what is a no-go area.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com has lots of tasty cost concious recipes.
    If your budget is low planning meals is a pretty key to helping you stick to it. It is also helpful for making better food choices. You don't have to eat something different or new every single day.
    Make a big pot of soup. It is a great dollar stretcher.
    Cook a bigger piece of meat and cut it up or shred it for sandwiches, soup, casseroles, stir fry, tacos, pizza, stir fry, eggs.
    Basic staples- Onions, garlic, spinach, oatmeal, potatoes, broccoli, peppers, oranges, cabbage, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, whole chicken or turkey, chicken thighs, tuna, pasta, rice, frozen vegetables or fruits, yogurt, cheese, eggs, canned tomato, dry beans or lentils, whole grain bread, popcorn, cottage cheese, flour, olive oil, herbs and spices, vinegar, cooking spray.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi in your area, I'd check it out. You can save a ton and they have pretty good healthy options these days.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Another tip: if you have a dollar store in your area that sells groceries, it may be worth checking out for produce. I hadn't been to one in years and when I visited my sister recently we went shopping at one. I was initially skeptical, but she told me she did a lot of shopping there. They had a produce section that was actually quite good and the prices were incredible. She got bell peppers, mangoes, greens, tomatoes, potatoes, and oranges for much less than I usually pay and they all looked (and tasted really good). They even had plantains! She also gets spices and basic commodities there.

Since I hadn't been to one in years, I assumed they wouldn't have much in the way of groceries. Totally wrong. She lives in an urban neighborhood that has a good number of Hispanic residents, so that probably impacted the selection there.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I watch the ads. Sometimes chicken is $1/lb(or less when whole). Buy fresh produce when in season for lowest prices. Bulk rice, beans, and other grains and lentils are usually cheaper.
  • RandilovestoRun
    RandilovestoRun Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would also say don't plan on a complex menu for each week. Meaning buy bulk even it means you'll be eating a lot of the same for that week. This helps to make sure you're actually eating everything that you buy and not letting things spoil and wasting money that way. I used to plan my menu ahead and go buy the food and found we were throwing a lot out. Now I buy a pack of chicken and a big batch of a couple veggies then use some pantry staples like corn tortillas, canned/frozen veggies, rice, pasta, bread, etc to get me through each week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You only have to buy bulk protein for a couple months and if you batch cook, you'll have a variety available ever after. Some of my favourite ways of bulk cooking my proteins:

Beans - chilli
    Chicken - thighs or whole chicken.
    Hamburger - with bread crumbs, milk, egg, and spices, I will bake a whole tray of meat balls at once. I might make meatloaf with the same mixture. Salsa is great in meatloaf.

The cheapest lunch is leftovers. You can spice it up by putting the leftovers in a wrap or adding a little cheese.
  • shawniej84
    shawniej84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have to stick to a budget as well since I am the only one eating healthy. I go to Dollar Tree. They have frozen veggies, wraps, and even Jennie O ground turkey burgers! I like to go to Aldi's as well because they have great produce for your budget.
  • Atchmon
    Atchmon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Chicken and broccoli, did that for a year straight. Needless to say, I'm really sick of chicken & broccoli.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • KarenMoeller2
    KarenMoeller2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Buy 5lb bag of chicken leg quarters. Let it thaw. Remove skin and any extra fat. Season as desired. Cook in crockpot until it falls apart. Pull off the bone. Divide into freezer bags. Weigh and mark each bag.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    shawniej84 wrote: »
    I have to stick to a budget as well since I am the only one eating healthy. I go to Dollar Tree. They have frozen veggies, wraps, and even Jennie O ground turkey burgers! I like to go to Aldi's as well because they have great produce for your budget.

I feel like Dollar Tree groceries are a total hidden gem! I love going there. I get spices, chicken broth, coconut oil spray, canned mackerel, high fiber cereal and way too many other things to list. All for $1 each!! The bigger the Dollar Tree the more groceries they have. My sister and I live 700 miles apart and often find ourselves texting each other pictures saying, "Look what I found at the Dollar Tree!"
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I agree with dollar tree. You can get beans there cheap and the frozen veg and fruit are awesome. They also have spices cheap.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There's a cookbook called "Good and Cheap" that has lots of ideas and aims to fit into a food budget of $4 a day. You can get a free PDF here: http://www.leannebrown.com
  • JTGJTG
    JTGJTG Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you have a freezer, ZayconFoods has 40# of chicken breasts at usually $2/lb. Use the concept of "Rollovers" (I don't like LEFTovers ;-)). First day, cook a whole chicken breast (both halves). Have a hot chicken meat, maybe chicken and rice with some veggies. Second day, use the leftover chicken and have a huge chicken salad. Third day, put the rest of the chicken and some veggies in a crockpot, add noodles if you want, and have chicken soup. We throw away so much! I'm trying to minimize that with Rollovers.
    Another example: 2 pounds of ground beef first night is a couple of burgers, second is taco meat, third night leftover taco meat gets rolled into spaghetti sauce.