Vascularity and body fat %

I have heard that vascularity is a way to get an idea of BF% (as purely an estimate). I'm not confident in the calipers because I know I wouldn't use it correctly. What other ways can you check. The veins in my arms are very visible and I can easily see my muscles under my skin. Not because I am muscular. I think it's more that I don't have a lot of fat covering the muscles that I have.

This may be bogus, and vascularity may be all about genetics and have nothing to do with body fat %. However, I have read that vascularity can occur at about 15%. Has anyone heard of this? Also, what are other ways to have BF% measure? I don't trust any measurements that I do would be correct.

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Some people are more pre-disposed (genetics) to having visible veins so the %BF region where veins are visible will different for different people.

After body fat I'm guessing that thinner skin is the next biggest factor, in which case, age will be an issue (older = thinner skin).

Oh, and whilst I'm thinking about it, hydration and external temperature are going to affect vascularity (hydrated and hot = big veins).

Summary: I think vascularity is a non-starter for BF% estimation.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Vascularity doesn't necessarily help you determine how lean you are. If you look at the men's physique competitors many of them are not vascular even though many of them are down around 6%. Genetics, age, foods/supplements that encourage vasodilation, hydration/sodium, caffeine, fat/carb intake, and muscle pump all influence how vascular someone looks beyond body fat percentage.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I'm not confident in the calipers because I know I wouldn't use it correctly.

I think you're right to be cautious. They are difficult to get reproducible results unless you are very experienced and even more difficult to use them on yourself.
    Also, what are other ways to have BF% measure? I don't trust any measurements that I do would be correct.

Ruling out bio-impedance as unreliable, I think DEXA scans or immersion measurements are your other options but they can be expensive.

Why you need to know your %BF? I ask becuause I've seen people get quite hung up about the figures they get from various methods and it often turns out that once determined, the figure is kind of useless - just a number.

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    I'm not confident in the calipers because I know I wouldn't use it correctly.

I think you're right to be cautious. They are difficult to get reproducible results unless you are very experienced and even more difficult to use them on yourself.
    Also, what are other ways to have BF% measure? I don't trust any measurements that I do would be correct.

Ruling out bio-impedance as unreliable, I think DEXA scans or immersion measurements are your other options but they can be expensive.

Why you need to know your %BF? I ask becuause I've seen people get quite hung up about the figures they get from various methods and it often turns out that once determined, the figure is kind of useless - just a number.

No particular reason. I was just curious to know, but not curious enough to pay money. Thanks so much for your reply.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Vascularity doesn't necessarily help you determine how lean you are. If you look at the men's physique competitors many of them are not vascular even though many of them are down around 6%. Genetics, age, foods/supplements that encourage vasodilation, hydration/sodium, caffeine, fat/carb intake, and muscle pump all influence how vascular someone looks beyond body fat percentage.

Yep. I, on the other hand, am about 18% or so BF and a nurse's wet dream for taking blood.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    This blog/article happened to be in my in box today:

http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-get-more-vascular/
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    I'm about 14-16% body fat, and I'm very vascular. I've been vascular since I hit about 22-24% body fat.
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Everyone's different. When I was bulking I hit 220 lbs, I still had veins all across my thighs & biceps. It's definitely a genetic thing.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I'm naturally vascular, like Stewie Griffin. I wouldn't use it as a measure.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    I'm quite vascular after losing weight and I think in general the less body fat you have the more visible your veins are. It's very rarely I have a thin patient or normal weight patient I can't see veins on. As a nurse it's much easier to find veins without huge amounts of fat to poke through. Many times people are so padded I can't find anything at all. I know they have veins because their arms haven't fallen off but that's about the only way lol.
  • leejoyce31
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I'm quite vascular after losing weight and I think in general the less body fat you have the more visible your veins are. It's very rarely I have a thin patient or normal weight patient I can't see veins on. As a nurse it's much easier to find veins without huge amounts of fat to poke through. Many times people are so padded I can't find anything at all. I know they have veins because their arms haven't fallen off but that's about the only way lol.

Yeah, I wasn't vascular either until I lost weight this past year. Now, I have all these veins in my arms. I see a few on my temporal area too. I don't like those.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I don't think it's a good way. My lower arms were always very vascular especially when working out, even at above 20% bf. Now that I'm slowly approaching 12% the bicep vein is starting to show when working out.
  • leejoyce31
    I don't think it's a good way. My lower arms were always very vascular especially when working out, even at above 20% bf. Now that I'm slowly approaching 12% the bicep vein is starting to show when working out.

I wasn't saying its a good way. I was just agreeing that I can see lots of veins now. I've moved on from trying to see if that's a way to measure. But thank you for replying.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Genetics and depends on where you keep your weight too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I use vascularity as a sign of leaning out for me, personally, but not to judge my actual body fat%.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I use vascularity as a sign of leaning out for me, personally, but not to judge my actual body fat%.

Same for me.
    I've never been very vascular so when veins start showing somewhere new it's a confirmation I've got leaner.

But as soon as I feel cool my veins disappear - I have Raynauds. :(
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Same for me.
    I've never been very vascular so when veins start showing somewhere new it's a confirmation I've got leaner.

I have Raynaud's, too. Losing fat didn't help that, for sure! I agree with @arditarose about using vascularity as a personal sign of leanness. When I got to around 20% I saw some veins appear in lower abs and also in my arms.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Like others have said, it is a horrible measure for actually measuring bf%. Everyone is different, I tend not to be very vascular, 9% bf now and definitely not veins popping everywhere. Others at that bf would have huge veins showing. Use it as your own personal leanness scale but don't compare it to others to estimate a bf.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

Same for me.

I have Raynaud's, too. Losing fat didn't help that, for sure! I agree with @arditarose about using vascularity as a personal sign of leanness. When I got to around 20% I saw some veins appear in lower abs and also in my arms.

Yeah, same places for me as well. They'll disappear if I eat high carb. Hate that.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    I am very vascular in my arms at 20% (about where I am now) and my vacularity did not increase when I dropped to 15%. Never was very vascular in my legs regardless of BF %.