Masking Nasty Protein

Options
So I bought a protein powder (Amplify XL) that I can not stand the taste of. I've tried several recipes of smoothies to mask the taste but it is very overpowering. The only thing that's worked so far is putting one scoop (serving size is 3) in with a serving of another protein powder and adding peanut butter.
Does anyone have any better tips to mask the flavor?

Replies

• caitlinen
    caitlinen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Did you buy unflavored?

No tips really. I just chug mine down as fast I can. I dislike protein powder in every flavor/brand but you gotta do what you gotta do. I have at least one shake a day.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Did you buy unflavored?

No tips really. I just chug mine down as fast I can. I dislike protein powder in every flavor/brand but you gotta do what you gotta do. I have at least one shake a day.

It's supposed to be vanilla flavored. I don't taste any vanilla, though.
    I got one from Sam's actually that tastes like cake batter. It has some so-so ingredients in it, but it's so easy to drink that I think I will stick with it.
  • katilynnegray
    katilynnegray Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There is your mistake. My experience with vanilla protein powder is awful. Always buy chocolate!
  • swenger_rn
    swenger_rn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Scott, I too have not been able to stand any protein shakes for quite some time. I did used to drink Premier which can be found at Costco or Sams club. 11 oz premixed containers in chocolate or vanilla for 30 gms of protein and few carbs. I drank them so long I got burned out. Now I purchase Mocha Big Train FIT Frappe powder from Sam's club. I mix 2 cups of water, 2 scoops of the mocha big trai, and 2 cups of ice and mix 1 scoop Unjury unflavored or chocolate flavored. That gives me 41 gms protein to start my morning out right. It tastes just like the mocha big train frappes you buy at the coffee houses. Extremely tasty. I cant go without it daily because they taste great I am extremely sensitive to tastes of protein shakes.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Try adding some chocolate milkshake powder and/or some strong coffee, this should make it more drinkable.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Raw cocoa powder.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    There is your mistake. My experience with vanilla protein powder is awful. Always buy chocolate!

Yuck! :) I can't stand chocolate protein powder.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will try them all.
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    Did you buy unflavored?

I got one from Sam's actually that tastes like cake batter. It has some so-so ingredients in it, but it's so easy to drink that I think I will stick with it.

Oh man that's no good. Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do except buy better protein.

I would highly recommend trutein by trunutrition sciences. It tastes amazing. Honestly a terrible product you won't be able to mask unless you add a ton of peanut butter and high calorie "stuff".
  • Bworley11
    Bworley11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    maybe you could use that protein to bake with...I think there a lot of recipes out there.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I just want this in my news feed.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options

some days I think we share a brain :flowerforyou:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Did you buy unflavored?

Oh man that's no good. Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do except buy better protein.

I would highly recommend trutein by trunutrition sciences. It tastes amazing. Honestly a terrible product you won't be able to mask unless you add a ton of peanut butter and high calorie "stuff".

Agreed. The choc pb flavor is awesome.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    throw a TB of PB in it, add milk, and chug.

it cant be that bad.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Did you buy unflavored?

mix it with chocolate pudding.

6ba982fff613e1c454ada075a7598fb1.gif
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    on a more serious note, I have a vanilla powder that I'm not particularly fond of so I add PB2 or Chocolate PB2 to it. It doesn't add a ton of calories and masks the flavor pretty well. Half a banana blended in with the powder and either PB2 makes it really yummy.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Use it in baking, the flavor will more likely breakdown and you can use other flavors to try and compliment it as well. Protein bars too, you can do lots of dried fruit, nuts and granola and that might mask it.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    this...

And use orange juice and milk as the base, throw in frozen banana or ice and blend. I'm sure that will make it better.
  • liftingheavy1
    Options
    Did you buy unflavored?

mix it with chocolate pudding.

6ba982fff613e1c454ada075a7598fb1.gif
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should try using it in protein bars or other baked goods. I use unflavored powder, but you can add so many things to a protein bar to cover up the taste.
    Have you tried adding cocoa powder to the shakes?