Loosing weight..... not according to the scales!

Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I didn't change my calorie intake, I changed my diet. No processed foods, very low carb, no sodas, no red meat, etc. It worked for me. The point is, everybody loses differently. I eat a near vegetarian diet, and do yoga, swimming, weights, cardio (treadmill, bike, fx), zumba. IT worked for ME.

so you replaced high calorie foods with low calorie foods and created a calorie deficit. So CICO worked for you, congrats.

Yes that is what she did.. so if you consider:

She went low carb lost a lot of water weight, cut out processed foods hense lower sodium, and if she by chance was cutting calories enough to be in a deficit, then yes weight was lost.

That weight could be fat, water and muscle and muscle depends on how aggressive the loss rate.

i am assuming if she truly went low carb that it was a cut in calories as low carb foods tend to be less calorie dense...but yes I agree that the loss was fat, muscle, and water...

We are on the same page! :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some fat burning programs on the treadmill and elliptical for 4 weeks - 40 mins 5 times a week. I know I have lost some belly fat and some on my face and back too but the scales say I weight the same as I did four weeks ago. I am male, 85kg and 48 years old. I have altered my diet - eating light and healthy, no booze with healthy snacks twice a day between meals and I just cannot understand why i have not changed on the scales. Any thoughts?

1. If it's only been 4 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • gatorsong
    gatorsong Posts: 7,000 Member
    Options
    Things might be moving around. I'm in sort of the same boat. Clothes are fitting better, belt is another notch tighter, but the scales aren't moving. Maybe water weight, who really knows. Just keep working at things and be as accurate as possible. Don't worry about the number on the scale as much. Think more about how you look/feel.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I didn't change my calorie intake, I changed my diet. No processed foods, very low carb, no sodas, no red meat, etc. It worked for me. The point is, everybody loses differently. I eat a near vegetarian diet, and do yoga, swimming, weights, cardio (treadmill, bike, fx), zumba. IT worked for ME.

so you replaced high calorie foods with low calorie foods and created a calorie deficit. So CICO worked for you, congrats.

Yes that is what she did.. so if you consider:

She went low carb lost a lot of water weight, cut out processed foods hense lower sodium, and if she by chance was cutting calories enough to be in a deficit, then yes weight was lost.

That weight could be fat, water and muscle and muscle depends on how aggressive the loss rate.

It was slow weight loss after the initial loss. I was on dialysis (I'm off now because I had a transplant :smile: ) and on a low phosphorus, low potassium, low sodium, high protein diet. Many fruits and veggies were not allowed. This is the reason I don't like meat anymore since they were in every meal I ate. I gained because of the high carbs. I also gained because I didn't have the energy to put into a workout the way I once had. I'm still losing...30 more to go. Since I'm stuck inside b/c of the weather, I'm trying out yoga (flexibility, balance and core strength). I'm also able to get back into the pool again because I have the PD cath out...and I have more energy to do this type of activity.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Zaskar60 wrote: »
    Congratulations, you've gained muscle! Sometimes a scale isn't the best way measure your fitness progress. Your mirror is! If you are gaining muscle and losing fat, your weight may stay about the same until muscle gain plateaus. But, like you've noticed, the appearance of the guy looking back at you in the mirror is improving! That's what it's all about!

Sorry, but he isn't gaining muscle

OP, how are you measuring your calorie intake?

Why would it be that he isn't putting on muscle which is "heavier than fat"?

First, he is not putting on muscle by doing just a treadmill.
    second = fat is not heavier than muscle, it is just more dence.
    third - if you want to add muscle you need a progressive resistance program, coupled with a calorie surplus..

caveat - one can have newbie gains but those wont come from a treadmill exercise only...

Per volume, muscle does weigh more.
  • MCTay23
    MCTay23 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Same with me, scale stopped moving but my clothes feel looser
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    MCTay23 wrote: »
    Same with me, scale stopped moving but my clothes feel looser
    Please read @diannethegeek's comment a few posts above to figure out what you can do differently