flatlander heading to mountains to run

Options
HI, I am heading to CO in Sept. for a running camp, still have 5-10 lbs to lose...trying for a lb./wk.
What I am wondering is what can I be doing to prepare for altitude other than running hills ?
I am in a VERY flat area but have found a couple hills in town and also do hills on treadmill.
Advice? Thanks!!

Replies

• linddavis
    linddavis Posts: 101
    Options
    anybody??
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I would love to offer you some advice; however I live in VT and there are plenty of hills and I choose not to run them!! I'm doing a 5K tomorrow that is a very Hilly course and I'm freaking out.

Have you Google "learning to run hills" or something like that. I bet there is tons of advice on the web!

Good Luck!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Yes, running hills will help to develop those muscles a little in advance of your trip. It will also help you improve your technique for running uphill and downhill. Google "hill running technique" for lots of good info on this.

I would be more concerned about the altitude difference, and the isn't much you can do about that until you get there. Depending onthe altitude you live at, you might be hurting for oxygen when running in Colorado. One thing that might help would be to run intervals at your aerobic threshold. Try some one-lap repeats at about as fast as you can do them, with rest in-between. Also some fartleks. You can Google that too if you aren't familiar with the concept.

Have fun!
  • linddavis
    Options
    Thanks for the tips... Laurie62Anne... how did your race go??
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Run a parking garage several times.
  • linddavis
    Options
    Have learned alittle since my last post. Bought Acclimate, a drink supplement , to help me get ready for altitude. I start taking it 3 days before I head to 8000 feet, had to order online. I have to cut out coffee, too dehydrating. Need to start taper 2 weeks before the mountains, and add 100 calories of good carbs each day before. I have been doing "hills" twice a week and had a PB 5k last week! woohoo, so hopefully I am ready! 3 weeks away~
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Running uphill:

Look at the horizon. Breathe. Keep the running tempo the same but take smaller steps. ( You can take tiny almost not moving steps if it helps you to get up without walking or stopping. ) If I'm doing a run intervals I am in the habit always running up and if I need to my reward is a small walk when I get to the top.

In races people often race past me on the downhill or the flats, then I slowly pass them up the hills:)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Stairs with an elevation mask.
  • linddavis
    Options
    Thanks all, tapering now, just walking hills. Will let you know how it goes in Estes Park!!
  • Mechanikitty
    Mechanikitty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I ran up a hill once. Once.

In Scotland there are some mighty big hills. There was a competition at the time and the fastest made it up and down in 1-2 hours. The record was 20 minutes! I think that was at Loch Goilhead. I ran up well and then pretty much rolled back down like a tipped cow. I ended up a complete mess, the jolting pace on the way down made me puke.

...Good luck? Don't let me put you off.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Are there any bridges in your area? If there are, you can toss those into your workouts. It won't be the same, but if you toss them in and do hill repeats they could work for the time being.
  • linddavis
    Options
    :smile: Home from Estes Pk. one week now... miss it so much! I was there for the rains and floods and have no doubt they will bounce back, mountain strong! We had to get creative with our Trail Runs as they kept closing roads and trails but we did our best.
    We took it EZ the first 2 days so that we could acclimate to 8200 ft, then the work began! I learned so much, totally changed my gait after analyis. I was a heelstriker, now a mid-foot striker :wink: I run tall, head up, elbows tucked. We did cross training, rock wall,
    cross fit, some yoga... a wonderful week despite the trajedy. We couldnt help, kept chasing us off the roads. Active at Altitude is the camp, appropriate for all levels of runners. See ya on the trails!!:drinker:
  • linddavis
    Options
    Forgot to mention I used the energy drink "Acclimate" 3 days before I arrived in Estes, 3 times a day. I think it helped.
    I know there are some professional athletes that use it before going to altitude. I drank at least 10 oz. each day while at camp. I had no issues other than a fast heart beat on Day 1. So I just did easy runs...