Most accurate body fat test

Options
I did some research on the hydrostatic testing, BodyPod, and DEXA. My budget won't allow for DEXA at the time, so I'm kind of forced to choose between BodyPod and hydrostatic testing. Around my area, the BodyPod is the only available and within budget. My concern is accuracy.

From what I've read, the accuracy is is hit or miss. It's required to take more than one assessment in order to track progress, which I expected. The accuracy I've read is surprising, as it can be off by as much as 5%. I'll keep researching.

Has anyone taken a body fat assessment before? If your area didn't have one over the other, how did you decide what was best? How accurate are these tests?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you wanting your body fat percentage for? I go off of calipers and visual even though they aren't accurate because they tell enough of the story (especially how I look in the mirror).
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I go by calipers and my BF scale as they are both coming to the same conclusion (27%). Well, as long as my feet are hydrated. I have very rough feet so I have to lotion them often and when I don't, my scale gives a 8% higher number than if I've put lotion on recently.

From pics over seen, I think the 27% is fairly accurate. I only use the number as a base to see if I'm making progress, nothing more. Much like weight.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    The thing that confused me about calipers is you're supposed to do it just above hip bone right? Id i do that it will say around 18%.. but check my thighs and it will say about 30%!!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why is it so important for you to have a concrete number?
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage is just another number to measure your successes off of, much like scales, that can be notoriously innacurate.
    The most accurate way to measure body fat percentage would be to cut yourself open, take out all the fat and weigh it. Outside of that, take all the readings with a grain of salt and carry on.
  • somamaley
    somamaley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you can look into 1 of these:

https://www.skulpt.me/

I have the Aim but they have a new less expensive version called chisel.

One guy compared his Aim results to a dexa scan done at the same time and the Aim read 2% higher.

Useful for tracking trends if you're a numbers person like me.
  • troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't need a concrete number, though it would be nice to have a number. I also don't trust what I see in particular in the mirror-- or even the scale-- because my body type "hides" a lot of fat. For instance, I know I still have a lot of adipose to lose because I spent the better half of last year losing visceral fat. How did I know? In the past, when I was laying down my belly stuck out a lot. Now it sinks in more.

Like somamaley, I'm a numbers person.