weighing food?!

Options
So I've just purchased a food scales and i am not sure how much of the food I need to eat and if I need to measure EVERYTHING (like seasonings and dressings) I've just been looking it up on the internet.

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    IF you're going to be 100% honest with MFP you need to measure everything. Condiments included.

As far as what to eat. IF you have custom recipes that you make MFP has a Recipe log that you can use for Calories and Macros.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Yes you should measure everything. Once you know how many calories you are going to eat you can plan for the day. Look at serving sizes and then weigh your food to make sure you're on point. Especially with things like salad dressing where it is easy to go over.
  • szodyraa
    szodyraa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! @darlswife @CincyNeid
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I used my food scale so I would know how much to log accurately...like if I log 4 ounces of chicken breast but don't weigh it how do I know I'm not eating 6 ounces or 8 ounces or 2 ounces or whatever. I never bothered weighing spices...that seems a little excessive and unnecessary given that they don't really have calories. I also never weighed prepackaged food items...like when I ate two slices of my sandwich bread I just used the nutritional info on the package...I know some people do but I never did and it was never an issue but maybe that's because I don't eat much of that stuff.

I primarily used mine for bulk items...weighing out meats and grains and pasta and nuts, etc.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    weigh everything that has any calories to speak of, but be careful with that judgment call
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Put your dish on the scale & zero the scale. Put your first ingredient in it, log the weight & zero the scale again. Add the next ingredient, log that weight then zero again, until you've added all you ingredients.