Performing only cardio excercises - Running /Walking - is it effective enough?

Options
SonaliDeuskar
SonaliDeuskar Posts: 14 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I started a serious attempt at weight loss a few days ago, perhaps 10 days ago and for excercise I am either running or walking about 5 km per day. I realize that weight training is essential according to fitness experts but I don't have access to a gym. So is just cardio excercise good enough for initial weight loss? Has anyone lost about 10 kgs (22 lbs) based on cardio and calorie counting alone?

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Cardio helps create that calorie deficit. So yes, you can definitely lose 10kg with cardio and calorie counting.

The advice to do resistance training while losing weight is to help preserve muscle mass - if you maximize your fat loss while retaining muscle, you may not have to lose as much weight as you think to get to your ideal body. Eating adequate protein helps with this too.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    yes, you can lose weight by just walking and running and counting calories. As long as you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. If you decide later on that you want to build more muscle definition, then by all means add more. If you want to switch it up or add more variety I would recommend you try youtube for HIIT work outs, yoga videos, and my personal favorite; Richard Simmons. good luck to you!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's really dependent on your aesthetic goals. You can lose weight without exercising at all but statistically you have a better chance of maintaining that loss if you incorporate exercise as part of your lifestyle.

So cardio is just fine but you can do lots of strength training without the gym. You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, or personally I use Fitness Blender and adjustable dumbbells.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do any exercise to lose weight (wouldn't recommend that)...you simply consume less energy than you require to maintain the status quot.

Cardiovascular exercise is very good for your cardiovascular health as well as your overall well being...it has the added bonus of increasing your energy expenditure meaning you can eat more than a sedentary person and accomplish the same objectives from a weight management perspective.

I do a lot of cardiovascular exercise as I'm a cyclist...I'm not trying to lose weight...I maintain because I eat to maintenance.

Also, you don't have to go to a gym to do resistance training...do some body weight stuff and get some resistance bands...it's pretty important.

http://www.healthline.com/health/importance-strength-training-women
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about energy balance (barring any health issues). So even if you didn't exercise, if you are in a calorie deficit, weight loss should happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I lost fifty pounds doing cardio..but the last six months doing the elliptical and another form the precor amt slider. Even though I still have weight to lose my arms look amazing ..so yes u can lose weight but u won't tone and sculpt that
    even adding free weights will do..so I am adding weights and bands into my workouts. .to change our bodies after cardio..its a must..but any exercise is a win!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    To loose weight you don't have to exercise at all. It's just a matter of eating less calories than your body Burns. Just plug your stats into the mfp app set your goals and follow the calorie suggestions.

As far as the exercise there are so many benefits. Personally I base my exercise on the season in the winter months I do more weights 3 times a week cardio maybe twice. When it gets warmer and I can go outside I cut back lifting to twice a week and I spend as much time as I can out doors I'd rather do cardio outside than inside when it's nice.

Like somebody other posters have stated I do weights to maintain muscle tone and give myself definition plus strength training will help your physical condition overall
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Diet is for weightloss, exercise is for metabolism and they go hand-in-hand. I lost 43 lbs through counting calories and cardio, so yes it is possible!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Fine for weight loss. Strength training is very important too and you can do a lot without a gym. Body weight exercises, dumbell work, kettlebells, etc.
  • Ghostlight1
    Ghostlight1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    yes you can lose weight by doing cardio and watching what you eat but if you do weight / resistance training you will build muscle that will burn more calories when not working out.

Think of your body as a small 4 cylinder engine. Of course you burn fuel when idling (when not doing cardio) but if you build muscle just like an 8 cylinder engine of course you will burn more fuel when not dong cardio and lose weight faster.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    No