Protein Shake after Cardio or Strength Training or Both?

Options
Is a protein shake after a cardio workout necessary? I feel like with strength training my muscles have worked more and it would be appropriate but I'm not sure if it's needed after cardio. I don't want to bulk up, my goal is to lose weight and tone muscles. I like my protein shakes but don't want to overdo it (is that possible?). Any thoughts are appreciated!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    protein shakes are just a supplement to help you hit your protein targets...if you're getting enough protein in your diet there is no need to supplement. Also, protein shakes don't make you bulk up...if they did, everyone would be walking around jacked...that's like saying, "should I eat this chicken? I don't want to bulk." It's just protein.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Over hyped. If your total protein macro percentage is reached by day's end, that's all that really matters. If drinking a protein shake after helps, then do it, but it doesn't have to be after exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's said that your body makes the best use of protein ingested w/in 30 mins of a workout -- cardio or strength -- promotes muscle recovery and synthesis.

So, if your goal is increased muscle development and weight gain, it would probably be useful to drink/eat a protein supplement after your workout but the amount of protein consumed doesn't need to be excessive; 10-20 grams w/20-30 grams of carbs would probably be enough. Otherwise, a normal diet should suffice.

See, for example: https://www.washingtonian.com/2012/09/18/4-myths-about-protein-and-working-out/
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I used to drink one after a work out simply because I would be so hungry that I would eat anything in sight. I would even stop by burger king on the way home. Keep pets away when I get hungry. Protein shake takes that feeling away (followed by a large glass of water).