How do you cope with managing alcohol?

Options
13»

Replies

• LylaRoad
    LylaRoad Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff No nothing to do with being in the 'in' crowd. Actually I left that a long time ago when realizing how shallow my friendships were. It is the buzz. So you mean my body has to use that energy before anything else?
  • LylaRoad
    Options
    @MonkeyMel21 light anything would be good, but unfortunately in Berlin it's not on the list. The only time I really saw light beers was when I lived in Australia. You're a lot more controlled, its hard for me to stop at one...
  • LylaRoad
    Options
    @amusedmonkey you know what, that's a really good idea! I normally avoid the drinks I actually love as I choose costs over taste. The reality is I would much rather a mojito/mixer than some cheap crappy wine. Normally my aim is get drunk. Though if I go for the taste over money, maybe I would drink actually a lot less. I'm going to try that and savour the taste more
  • LylaRoad
    Options
    @Trish1c someone else said go for what you really like above. I think this is a really good idea, maybe I should spend less money on crap alcohol and spend more on nice alcohol! I do feel it the next day. You can really tell the difference between a night of mixers which I consider more pure, than a night of bad beer and especially wine. I always feel extra worse. I was just conscious of money, but I do feel it has a bad effect on me not just where calories are concerned, I guess like everything - there's a reason it's cheap

• kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The only cure for me was to avoid situations where I knew a lot of drinking would occur.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ahh. I hated giving up alcohol but it affects your metabolism so I don't drink nearly like I used to, plus, its full of calories. Its hard though because my husband drinks wine almost daily, so I want to! ....but I want to cut and lose the weight more! Once I am done cutting I will up my calories, and then can fit drinking in on weekends more regularly I'm sure. for the most part tho, right now I am only drinking occasionally. I would say once a month. For parites, birthdays etc.
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    LylaRoad wrote: »
    @kitkatlp thanks for your comments. I actually don't drink alone often and if I do, it's because I got home from a night out and am not ready to stop drinking. Terrible habit I know, so I really try to restrict that. Hard to tell wasted me though, I can tell you.

It's not so much the peer pressure, although there will be some element. I think it's to get in their head space or get away from what's going on in my head a little too,

I understand and I do sympathize. Sometimes, alcohol does help to forget the daily stress and relax. You may find ways to achieve that with something else. I mean working out does achieve that too.
    So you have a cheat meal and don't count the calories? And it boosts metabolism? Im trying to take it into account today, but I have a work party so free food and drink. Amazing, but terrible for my diet. I think I may as well write it off for tonight :)

I think a cheat meal per week is absolutely necessary to boost your metabolism. But it's only one meal per week, and not one day per week and again, it's not about eating +5000 cal in one meal but it's just allowing to exceed your daily intake with that meal, enjoy, get the food you wouldn't normally, and just get back to your normal routine after that. I've lost 70lbs so far in 6 months doing it.
    Wow a shot is only 70! I'm going to try and drink more spirits. Just gonna hit my wallet harder
    Last Sunday, I had my BBQ birthday party. It was my cheat meal. I drank two glasses of red wine, one glass of champagne. Had some cake, grilled chicken, pasta salad, some quiche, crackers, carrots, cucumbers...
    I did go to the gym in the morning, mowed the lawn immediately after that, had a light breakfast (about 300kcal) and a light dinner (about 300kcal too). I didn't put on any weight.
    Also, I do allow myself, one whisky shot once in a while because I have very good whisky I brought back from Japan... :smiley:

• LylaRoad
    Options
    @CalorieCountChocula I see our point, but I am a very social person and want the person I meet to be the same. I have done other activities, but it's never been as easy to meet someone, or someone I would be interested in... Also, true I am social, but when meeting a guy for first time that I fancy, I get so nervous...alcohol helps. I'm working on overcoming this. I can now do one or two drinks on dates, but I still need that crutch initially
  • LylaRoad
    Options
    @kevinf2380 that means cutting my social life a lot. I am friends with musicians who play in bars or work in bars
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I simply stop drinking alcohol when I'm training/dieting and drink water instead.

If you properly count calories, you can fit alcohol into your diet but, usually there's only room for 1 can/glass/shot of booze a day b4 you run out of room for real food.

very true, I can keep to 1200. that's no problem and you're right it cuts real food. It's just hard attending a social event without some form of social lubricant

This is so very sad. ;- (
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    offer to be the designated driver..... :) thats what I do if I don't want to drink when I go out.
  • vicksg73
    vicksg73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a mantra: no exercise, no booze!

If I exercise enough calories to consume alcohol, then I do. Otherwise I (try to) abstain.
  • LylaRoad
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @kitkatlp yeah I have tried meditation, yoga etc. before. I plan to start yoga again as that really does give me a feeling of well being. I suffer from depression and really alcohol is a form of self medication for me. And trying to motivate someone who has ongoing depression (even when I'm trying to motivate myself) is difficult. But Im giving myself space and time to make baby steps integrating things gradually. If I see as a mountain, then that's what it will be and I'll never get things done that way. Or to rephrase I haven't got things done that way, so I'm taking a different approach this time and not expecting everything to happen overnight.

Maybe my summer work event will be my cheat for the week and get back on it tomorrow. I'm already expecting the worst. So accept and get back on it :) I've already limited my cals for today

• LylaRoad
    edited July 2016
    Options
    offer to be the designated driver..... :) thats what I do if I don't want to drink when I go out.
    would work, but I live in the city. I know one person who drives here :) and I don't own a car here

• michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Drink within calories or in moderation in public places with a drink such as a rum and diet coke or wine with a side of ice. In private parties....BYOB ~ Skinny margaritas....... 1 shot tequila, 2 shots Skinny margarita mix, 1 diet mountain dew. Like 76 calories. Happy me <3
  • LylaRoad
    edited July 2016
    Options
    vicksg73 wrote: »
    I have a mantra: no exercise, no booze!

If I exercise enough calories to consume alcohol, then I do. Otherwise I (try to) abstain.

I think Im going to go for this in future or as someone before said make a note of how much I drank and either work to deficit for that in the week or work off the amount I drank
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    @kitkatlp yeah I have tried meditation, yoga etc. before. I plan to start yoga again as that really does give me a feeling of well being. I suffer from depression and really alcohol is a form of self medication for me. And trying to motivate someone who has ongoing depression (even when I'm trying to motivate myself) is difficult. But Im giving myself space and time to make baby steps integrating things gradually. If I see as a mountain, then that's what it will be and I'll never get things done that way. Or to rephrase I haven't got things done that way, so I'm taking a different approach this time and not expecting everything to happen overnight.

Maybe my summer work event will be my cheat for the week and get back on it tomorrow. I'm already expecting the worst. So accept and get back on it :) I've already limited my cals for today

That is very different. You should NEVER use alcohol as some sort of medication or even a short-term solution for your depression. I do hope that you're seeing a therapist to treat your depression (and hope you're not taking any medication for this depression which are usually not compatible with alcohol). Otherwise, there is a significant risk that you would use alcohol as an "easy" temporary fixer. That's how your create addiction.
    Although, I agree with your approach: "one step at a time".
    I do wish you well and hope that you'll get out soon of this depression as I think this is the first thing to sort out before embarking on a healthier lifestyle.

Big hug from me.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @kevinf2380 that means cutting my social life a lot. I am friends with musicians who play in bars or work in bars

If your social life is a higher priority then your health it's going to be tough. You can still see them outside of bars.