5'6" ladies... What is your goal?

Options

Replies

• julialavergne
    julialavergne Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started at 207 and I'm currently at 198. I'm aiming for 135! (61.2kg)
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I can't decide whether I should make my goal weight 145 or 135. I'm 5'6".
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    5'6"
    SW: 296.5
    CW: 169.4
    GW: 160
    UGW: 154...to be in the NORMAL range on BMI charts.
  • kam744
    kam744 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    5'6
    SW 172
    CW 149
    GW 135-130
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and 50 years old. Three years ago I was at 220. I got down to 155 in 9 months. Slowly added on some weight so started losing again in January. My goal was 145. I got down to 144 in June then went on a week long cruise and then 2 more weeks in Cape Cod. Now I am at 150. My true goal is to be 135. I still have belly fat to get rid of. Everyone who sees me says I am super skinny, but clothes hide a lot! I have small hips and nice legs, so can wear a size 4 and look really good. Hate the belly though. I also had a breast reduction 3 years ago after I lost 70 pounds (insurance paid). Best thing I have ever done (besides the divorce and losing weight). I have a 50 year old belly and a 35-40 year old everything else. Belly is driving me crazy.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Btw, everyone has the same bones. No "heavier bones" or "small bones". Google 'body fat scans' where you can see the skeleton.

Is that true? That's really interesting. My oldest daughter's wrists are 2" bigger around than mine, and she wears bigger rings, ankle bones are wider, we are both around the same lean-ness and she's a couple inches shorter than me.

If we compared xrays of our arms, the bones wouldn't look different?

That's really odd. I don't, personally, think bones weigh enough to make a big difference in anybody's weight, not arguing that. And frame size varies (if I stand behind second daughter, you can see my shoulders are considerably wider than hers, for examle.). Is the difference in the wrists just frame size? Her bones are placed wider but are each the same size as mine? Why, then, are the fingers thicker, when she is thin like I am?

That's just really interesting to think about. Thank you.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", in my 40's and SW:260, CW:187. At one point I was 155 pounds, still one pound "overweight" but I looked and felt fantastic. My goal is 150, then I'll reassess.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 131lbs. My goal is to keep maintaining or not go higher than 135lbs.
  • heatherlcarey426
    heatherlcarey426 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Currently 178, down from 185. Goal is 140 :) long way to go...
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    5'6 here and 46. My scales died and new ones haven't arrived yet, but I'm guessing around 150-ish and most recently purchases sizes 4-6. Like a PP said US sizing is crazy. Curious if I will be a 2 or a 0 at 136.

First big goal was to get to a healthy BMI.

Current is to get to 25% body fat, which per DEXA, and presuming I don't lose muscle, would be 136. Doing resistance training and watching my protein intake, so hopefully that works out.

ETA: I have a small frame FWIW. 6" wrist, 8" ankle and my fingers are now skinnier than my 10 year old daughters. DEXA said my bones weigh 9 pounds.
  • choplikekarate
    choplikekarate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'6 and currently weighing in at about 125-127. I'd like to get down to at least 120 and reassess if I need to cut more or maintain once I hit that.
  • jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Btw, everyone has the same bones. No "heavier bones" or "small bones". Google 'body fat scans' where you can see the skeleton.

Is that true? That's really interesting. My oldest daughter's wrists are 2" bigger around than mine, and she wears bigger rings, ankle bones are wider, we are both around the same lean-ness and she's a couple inches shorter than me.

That's really odd. I don't, personally, think bones weigh enough to make a big difference in anybody's weight, not arguing that. And frame size varies (if I stand behind second daughter, you can see my shoulders are considerably wider than hers, for examle.). Is the difference in the wrists just frame size? Her bones are placed wider but are each the same size as mine? Why, then, are the fingers thicker, when she is thin like I am?

Thanks for replying! I'm definitely not an expert but am curious about frame size, like you said. For the most part, I think people who say "I carry my weight well because I have a large frame", "people say I look smaller than I really weigh" etc probably have extra muscle (which of course is more compact than fat). Because I think "frame size" really boils down more to how much fat/muscle you have. When I was 155 lbs, my body shape was the same, but my "frame size" was obviously bigger than it is not at 145lbs. If I had been 155lbs all my life, then I would think of that as my default "frame size", I think. I am assuming this probably resonates with other people?

But I googled to try to find out details/evidence about frame structure and couldn't find a good answer. I did learn:
    • Overweight people do have bigger bones (thicker, not just denser), but this is probably due to carrying around extra weight:
    Ann Ross, an anthropologist at North Carolina State University and one of the researchers, described the change in the bone as "almost like a buttress making something stronger."
    • "If you have a wider frame, then you'll need to string a bit more muscle, ligaments, and tendons between the bones, which could affect your weight. (not sure how valid this is, got it from a reddit thread)

So yeah ... it was a LOT of just threads like this with anecdotal evidence ("I am barrel-chested so look great at a higher weight!") and speculation ("Thai people look better when at a lower weight than Finns!"). And I am a bit skeptical of the wrist measurement thing, even though it IS an official "frame measurement" but I don't think that entails that frame=something you're born with, and not just a result of your fat+muscle? Because it's not like you can't store ANY fat on your wrist, and I have seen obese people with noticeably large wrists.

Let me know if you find anything interesting that seems more scientific than what I found! :D
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Thanks for replying! I'm definitely not an expert but am curious about frame size, like you said. For the most part, I think people who say "I carry my weight well because I have a large frame", "people say I look smaller than I really weigh" etc probably have extra muscle (which of course is more compact than fat). Because I think "frame size" really boils down more to how much fat/muscle you have. When I was 155 lbs, my body shape was the same, but my "frame size" was obviously bigger than it is not at 145lbs. If I had been 155lbs all my life, then I would think of that as my default "frame size", I think. I am assuming this probably resonates with other people?

But I googled to try to find out details/evidence about frame structure and couldn't find a good answer. I did learn:
    • Overweight people do have bigger bones (thicker, not just denser), but this is probably due to carrying around extra weight:
    Ann Ross, an anthropologist at North Carolina State University and one of the researchers, described the change in the bone as "almost like a buttress making something stronger."
    • "If you have a wider frame, then you'll need to string a bit more muscle, ligaments, and tendons between the bones, which could affect your weight. (not sure how valid this is, got it from a reddit thread)

So yeah ... it was a LOT of just threads like this with anecdotal evidence ("I am barrel-chested so look great at a higher weight!") and speculation ("Thai people look better when at a lower weight than Finns!"). And I am a bit skeptical of the wrist measurement thing, even though it IS an official "frame measurement" but I don't think that entails that frame=something you're born with, and not just a result of your fat+muscle? Because it's not like you can't store ANY fat on your wrist, and I have seen obese people with noticeably large wrists.

Let me know if you find anything interesting that seems more scientific than what I found! :D

I'll ask the daughter who is physical therapist student. But I had wide shoulders even when severely underweight, and have the same wide shoulders now. All of us (me and the daughters) are built pretty spare so our shape is defined more by the bones than anything else, and those sizes vary. And of course, skeleton size has grown as nutrition has improved around the world, when old remains are found those are smaller than we are now, but I am sure skeletal size isn't the same among different people even of the same height.

I do not think one can argue that frame or bone density means you can healthily weigh more than the healthy BMI because that # has cushion built in, especially for women. There will always be outliers, but not many.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    5'7 cw=142-145 gw=125 small frame. weird huh? (thanks Rents!) I am older now so we'll see when I get down that way. May have to re evaluate.
  • 5K85
    5K85 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    249, want to get to 227, better confidence
  • bellaeliza08
    bellaeliza08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to be exactly 20kgs under my bf so 54 lol
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Started at 248 back in 2004, dropped down to 140 at my lowest in 2014, car accident etc, back to 170 now slowly coming down again. Was 161 this morning :) Looking to get around 125 as I was still very flabby at 140 despite the fact that I do lift weights 3 times / week.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Technically in maintenance, but a little over my favourite weight, so eating at a tiny deficit in order to lose 3-4lbs and get back to 120-121lbs at 5'6"
  • 5K85
    5K85 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do weight lifting as much as I can going to finish it today and have some protein
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    5'6.5" tall, 60.7 years old.

HW: 238
    SW: 230
    CW: 147.8
    Original GW: 135
    Possibly revised GW: 145 due to sagging skin issues. Time will tell.