Enjoyed a Cheat Day

Options
So last night I had my first cheat meal. I have been great for several weeks and out of nowhere I got a lot of cravings (TOM is coming). However, I noticed the last several days I had barely been hitting 1200 calories a day when I am supposed to be eating 1600. I was hungry and craving bad stuff. So yesterday I had extra. I was careful to track everything I put into my mouth even though I knew I would go over my calorie count.

I felt great about it!

1.) I discovered that my splurge food (pizza) wasn't as good as I remembered because all the healthy food I have been eating is much more flavorful.
2.) I got full so fast I couldn't eat anywhere near the amount I could before MFP!
3.) I tracked those calories and didn't mind going over my calories because I had planned it and ate consciously.

I slept great and am back on track with counting calories again today. I feel more encouraged that I can do this long term. Yay! Way to go MFP!

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are the best , I look leaner the day after I consume 5000cals+ !
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with a day like that and it hardly qualifies as a cheat day if all it did was bring your weekly calories up and you're still below your weekly goal, which is sounds like you are. Your body does need food and I find pizza a big help with energy levels when I've been cutting.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You are right about staying under my weekly calorie goal. I had about 2000 calories I didn't eat over several days. I guess it isn't cheating but it isn't the kind of food I had been eating.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for you! Good job!
  • khernandez331
    khernandez331 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    great job! I love a cheat day :)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we just need them cheat days or 'cheat meals'..... Keeps us more determined and motivated!!!
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Cheating is fun! Way to go :) I totally relate to your second point about getting full fast. I can't eat nearly what I used to (and that's a good thing)

Cheers!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You are right about staying under my weekly calorie goal. I had about 2000 calories I didn't eat over several days. I guess it isn't cheating but it isn't the kind of food I had been eating.

To me, it sounds like your body desperately needed that day. I'll I also say that as long as you get the nutrition you need, the "type" of food doesn't matter. PIzza is basically bread, tomatoes, cheese and whatever toppings you add. It doesn't magically lose all the vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, and other nutrients just because it's served as pizza.

There is also some very well educated opinions on the necessity for "refeed" days for dieters where you give you body a break periodically by eating at maintenance. I'll look up links if you're interested but I use them myself as a way of keeping my sanity during a cut.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

To me, it sounds like your body desperately needed that day. I'll I also say that as long as you get the nutrition you need, the "type" of food doesn't matter. PIzza is basically bread, tomatoes, cheese and whatever toppings you add. It doesn't magically lose all the vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, and other nutrients just because it's served as pizza.

There is also some very well educated opinions on the necessity for "refeed" days for dieters where you give you body a break periodically by eating at maintenance. I'll look up links if you're interested but I use them myself as a way of keeping my sanity during a cut.

Thanks go ahead and post the links
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Yay!!, but call it a "refeed." That way there's no guilt associated with it. It's good for the body to do this.

Depending on the pizza, that can also be really good for you. I mean, can you think of a more enjoyable way to hit the calcium micro? I can't. Nom.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You listened to your body. You went over your arbitrary goal and didn't feel any guilt about it. These are all wins! But I wouldn't call it a cheat - how is feeding your body when it's hungry cheating on anything? It's not. Enjoy!
    1.) I discovered that my splurge food (pizza) wasn't as good as I remembered because all the healthy food I have been eating is much more flavorful.

Gotta disagree with you here. Pizza is still awesome. Greasy delivery, fancy homemade grilled, it's all good :)