DOMS worse than before.

Options
I am getting back into lifting again(after a month or two hiatus). I have lifted maybe 3-4 times in the last two months,one being a several of days ago and the other being yesterday. Im noticing that my muscle soreness is more extreme. Im not in any pain,but it lasts longer as well. I have been lifting almost 4 years and never had this much of an issue.

I am taking a bcaa(never did that before could that be it?),warming up before,stretching after and making sure to get enough protein and carbs on those days,I drink plenty of water so I know Im not dehydrated. I have tried the epsom salt baths,ibuprofen,etc and yet they are more intense and like I said last longer. what can I do? even a foam roller isnt helping much.Im not running a fever,or having any symptoms of rhabdo. The one day I did more sets less reps, this time I did less sets more reps and still neither one made any difference.

Its hard to get up from a sitting position,I cant really do a full out day of rest as my dogs need walked. Im open to all suggestions within reason lol.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Likely because you're trying to get back into it using more weight resistance than you did as a newbie.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Likely because you're trying to get back into it using more weight resistance than you did as a newbie.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

that. this happens to me if i'm off for more than about a month. its hard but i make a huge effort to ease back in slowly rather than picking up where i left off, even though i physically can. I go less than 50% for the first week
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

actually as a newbie 4 years ago. I was only lifting 5-15 lbs. Im lifting the same amount I was before I got off track a month or so ago.id lift a day here and there but it wasnt enough. heck last month I did one day of insanity(I know its not lifting) and for 4 days my calves were sore I could barely walk.

I usually do more exercise(cardio/hiit/tabata) and a lot of walking,couldnt understand why I was so sore. usually weight lifting never leaves me feeling that sore,so to me it just seems like its more excessive than normal. should I be worried? this time Im not going to let so much time go by either.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

that. this happens to me if i'm off for more than about a month. its hard but i make a huge effort to ease back in slowly rather than picking up where i left off, even though i physically can. I go less than 50% for the first week

I have had times in the past 2 years(been lifting 4) where I would slack off a bit and get right back into it(same weight) and be fine with the same weight. now things have changed some.I have built up my weight amounts some over the past 2 years but its not a whole lot Ive been at the same amount of weight for more than 6 months.I know I need to increase the weights as time goes on. even using my 15lb dumbbells caused my arms to be sore and I lift more than that on my straight bar(barbell). I just find it odd for me at least