How many calories did it take you

Options
Hi all - I know everybody is different, but I'm curious how many calories It took you guys to start seeing weight loss? I'm probably averaging around 1500-1600, and I'm hesitant to really cut back more, slow and steady is fine for me...but just curious what worked for you. I'm not exercising much right now.

Replies

• 2muchfnsugar
    2muchfnsugar Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I didn't really see much with only cal restriction at <1500, but combined with the exercise and not eating those back, it really started falling off.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I averaged around 2k calories for most of my weightloss. I am just getting back into losing again (looking to get leaner before starting a bulk), but I think I should still lose around 1800- 2k calories per day since I maintain around 2200-2400.
  • RobRicketts
    RobRicketts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your BMR and level of exercise/activity.

I eat at 2200 calories a day and am down 90lbs since January.
  • 2muchfnsugar
    2muchfnsugar Posts: 866 Member
    Options

That's freakin awesome.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,001 Member
    Options
    I started by netting 1250 calories.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started at 1500-1600kcal (and lost 40lb slowly), I now aim for under 1500kcal, I do also exercise and don't eat these back. I think the big thing for me is compliance, I have plateaued where I've not counted everything or had a few to many days above target. I'd also look at nutrients - I try to hit fibre and protein targets everyday and find that really helps.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

The BMR calories and exercise level only matter when figuring the approx TDEE to get your approx calories to actually loose the number of pounds you set in your goal.

The calorie deficit that is setup, and adhering to that calorie deficit every day, ensures weight loss. You do not even have to exercise one minute to loose weight nor does the BMR calories need to be a certain number. OP, if you are eating at a calorie deficit you will loose weight. No need to lower it unless you are pretty certain the calculators may be off a wee bit.

Your MFP's calorie bank is normally pretty spot on to loose weight. Getting a food scale and netting those deficit calories every day is all you need.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight eating 1650-1700 (not eating back exercise calories).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I average 1500 calories + exercise calories (so an average of 1500-2000 a day).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30 without counting calories so I can't give a number from then. But I started counting calories in the 170s and lost steadily while eating 1750-1850 per day.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I net 1600 a day, eat back all exercise caloriese
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I started with 1290 cal. Moved to 1200 after I lost 18lbs.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I am small so 1200 cal plus an additional 150-200 exercise cals took me slowly from 130 to a 100-105 maintenance. ( my maintenance is only 100-150 cals more- like I said I am small)

Couldn't have done it without eating back exercise cals- I needed the fuel.

Cheers, h.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I didn't start losing until I went to 1500 (a 500 deficit). After that I lost a pound a week almost like clockwork.

Make sure you're in a deficit, even if it's a small one. You say you're "probably" averaging 1500-1600. Are you actually measuring? If not, your solution may not have to be further cutting, but tighter management. Good luck!