I blew it!

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Can you give me some advice. O 4/9/13 I weighed 363lbs. I started going to the gym and stopped drinking soda on this same day. I dont eat fast food any more. I have dropped 30 lbs to this day. I just feel with all the exercises and food sacrificing im doing, I should have lost more. What am I doing wrong?

Did you gain at a rate of 10lbs a month? What did you expect to lose in 90 days? Maybe what you are doing wrong is having unrealistic expectations.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself at the same time and on the same scale as the first time? You can easily weigh so much more between morning and night.

Also, after looking at your diary, you eat a lot of high sodium foods. Try to eat more fresh foods instead of granola bars and pop tarts.

Are you using the MFP calculations for your workouts? If so, they tend to be very generous and give you far too many calories than you think. You really should be eating more than 1000 calories a day. Most of the men on here tend to eat far more than that.

One final thing, do you weigh and/or measure your foods? I wouldn't use the calculations when it comes to homemade foods. If you are cooking something, just plug in the ingredients into the recipe section and it will come up with something pretty close calorie wise.
  • dmdeubel24
    dmdeubel24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I applaud your commitment
    to losing weight but 12lbs in a week is not possible unless you have eaten
    42,000 calories in that case you would still be consuming 6,000 a day.
    Your scale us broken... Where do you have time to work. By the way 1,000 calories
    is not enough. If that is the case get real with your weight loss commitment
  • marinetteloser
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself at the same time and on the same scale as the first time? You can easily weigh so much more between morning and night.
    I weighed myself on two scales, right away in the morning when I got out of bed, last time and this time.
    I used 2 scales because my Wii Fit board was under the couch for like 4-5 years untouched and wanted to make sure it was giving me the same number as a real scale.

edit: Yeah, I've used the built in MFP calculations for everything, I haven't actually measured anything by hand.
  • marinetteloser
    Options
    ...Your scale us broken...
    I'd swear people cannot read. As said in nearly every one of my posts, I had check my weight on two different scales because I thought going up looked completely crazy.

edit: and for about 3 years I was eating around 5000 a day, with no exercise at all, and gained around 50 pounds over the 3 year period.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    First, congrats for your dedication! I'm guessing this was a fluke sort of day/week. I checked out your diary and noticed that you aren't drinking a ton. I tend not to drink enough as well, but when I drink a lot of water (I've been told take your body weight, divide by 2, and that is the number of oz. you should drink), I feel better and my exercise/eating is more productive.

I started a long time ago and sort of "forgot" about the site, now I've been back for about a month or so and I have lost a couple pounds. For me, I don't have a ton to lose, so two pounds in a month doesn't bother me. My primary goal is to get in shape.

So my advice: forget about that scale for a while, log all food (including the bread on your bruscetta--make your own "recipe" so it's really what you make and you can use it over and over again), DRINK lots of water!

I've heard from some people on here that measuring is more motivating for them. You could try that?
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    What scale did you use to measure yourself the first time? If you are getting consistent results now on two scales it could be that the first measurement was the one that was wrong.

Either way i'd just forget that it looked like you gained 12lbs and just work from the weight you have that has proven consistent and move forward.

Dude, you NEED to track your recipes. You have no idea what was in the recipe or how big a serving was when some random person put in a food.

It is a huge pain but you have to do it. Weigh and input each ingredient, divide by how many servings it makes.

Because it IS such a pain my meals are usually really simple, like a steak with a salad or something and I just make a single serving of it at a time.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am someone who can NOT drink ungawdly amounts of water. People push drinking water like crack!
    I tried the "drink half your weight in ounces" and gained 8 pounds in 5 days!
    I tried drinking the "64 ounces a day". Gained 8 pounds.

When I stopped FORCING liquids down my throat and actually drank when I was thirsty, I lost the 'weight' and leveled off and actually started losing the fat.

Not sure if you're forcing yourself to drink drink drink but maybe pull back a little bit if you are. Also watch your sodium in processed foods...as that tends to retain water.

If this continues..PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR. We can only speculate here but none of us are MD's. Its not normal to gain 12 pounds in a week with a caloric deficit. Something is going on and if it doesn't correct itself, may be harmful.

Good luck and keep us informed!!!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I can gain or lose 4lb in a day. It's not "real" it's just a waterweight type fluctuation.

You mentioned drinking juice, are you logging that? It has an insane amount of calories? Likewise alcohol does too if you drink (I keep my food to 1200 and drink moderately but don't always log the beer)
  • marinetteloser
    Options
    What scale did you use to measure yourself the first time? If you are getting consistent results now on two scales it could be that the first measurement was the one that was wrong.

Either way i'd just forget that it looked like you gained 12lbs and just work from the weight you have that has proven consistent and move forward.

Dude, you NEED to track your recipes. You have no idea what was in the recipe or how big a serving was when some random person put in a food.

It is a huge pain but you have to do it. Weigh and input each ingredient, divide by how many servings it makes.

Because it IS such a pain my meals are usually really simple, like a steak with a salad or something and I just make a single serving of it at a time.
    My first measurement was 235 pounds on Wii Fit, one week ago. I hadn't used the game in years, so after doing my Wii Fit weigh in I used my actual bathroom scale to make sure it was accurate, the bathroom scale (one week ago) also said 235 on it.

This morning, right when I got up, which was the same time I did this a week ago, I got out of bed, went to the bathroom, had to poop REALLY bad but figured if I let that out I'd be "cheating" so I hopped on the bathroom scale all excited about my week of "doing good" and it said 247, and I was like 247, what the ****! So I clenched 'em tight and walked to the living room, turned on the Wii, weighed in, and it also said 247. I was like, gained 12, weird, how is that even possible? And then I came to make this post.

@Roxylola, I've been logging everything I've drank, the juice is mostly pomegranate, I'm grinding them myself but logging it as store bought juice because it's just easier, the only thing I probably haven't logged properly is water, because I'm not really keeping track of water (I've never thought of it as "food")
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

My first measurement was 235 pounds on Wii Fit, one week ago. I hadn't used the game in years, so after doing my Wii Fit weigh in I used my actual bathroom scale to make sure it was accurate, the bathroom scale (one week ago) also said 235 on it.

This morning, right when I got up, which was the same time I did this a week ago, I got out of bed, went to the bathroom, had to poop REALLY bad but figured if I let that out I'd be "cheating" so I hopped on the bathroom scale all excited about my week of "doing good" and it said 247, and I was like 247, what the ****! So I clenched 'em tight and walked to the living room, turned on the Wii, weighed in, and it also said 247. I was like, gained 12, weird, how is that even possible? And then I came to make this post.

Well, that's it - 12 lbs of poop! I knew this thread was full of ****.
  • marinetteloser
    Options
    Well, that's it - 12 lbs of poop! I knew this thread was full of ****.
    Well played, I died laughing at that.

I held it in because I guess I wasn't sure if I "had to go" when I weighed in a week ago, I had done it immediately from getting out of bed, didn't go to the bathroom, and I've read that you should be consistent for this kind of thing.

Having to poop probably isn't relevant, I'm just trying to give my post some flavor and be less boring to read.

edit: oh god I just used the word poop and flavor together like there's nothing wrong with that..... :-|
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    That's just a waste product - don't count that that would be like collecting sweat and adding that to the scale when you weigh!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Facepalm.

Because, um, yeah.

You aren't measuring fat dude.
  • joemg311
    joemg311 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread I think a 12lb gain as crazy as it sounds is an actual possibility and the reason is.... The drinking 2-3 pots of coffee a day and no water. Not only was all that coffee dehydrating you, but it was kicking your metabolism into high gear. You were probably pretty regular with your bowel movements too. It doesn't seem impossible since if you completely cut out coffee and started drinking plenty of water instead that it all could be water weight from actually being hydrated. Perhaps you weighed in initially on the low end of a normal weight fluctuation, then got a little backed up and slowed down, and gained water weight. Keep in mind you by no means gained any fat you could have even lost a little of it. It will take a little bit for your body and metabolism to adjust to the lack of insane amounts of caffeine but you should start dropping the lbs really soon with what you are doing.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    The answer to your concern is clearly related to cosmic proportionate revelation within the mind related to emotional awareness and relativity. Cleary there is a balance of many psychological alertness factors that relent to the space equation. This could be due to many inadament objectivity factors that relate to various forms of possible solutions. One of the clearest factors is in relation to the body and it's need for adherent nutritional values. These can form different spectrums for various subjects but yours is clearly related to the above information. Good luck on your journey. It can be done.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh::huh: :laugh:
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    My sister did that when she got her first desk job and gained 100 pounds in a year. It's been 30 years and she never lost it. So good for you for starting.

You're eating too little. And I wouldn't worry about the little weight fluctuation. And it is little.

Put your stats into MFP. Say you want to lose that 50 pounds at one pound a week. Set your activity for sedentary. Log any extra calories. Eat the calories MFP gives you.

Don't forget to measure, weigh, or estimate everything accurately. I mean everything. Mayonaise. Salad dressing. Everything.

It will come off. You haven't blown it.

Yeah, normally I cook everything myself, but I've been eating a lot of prepackaged "healthy foods" like granola bars and whatnot because they're easy to report and log, because they product is already in the database.

Some of the stuff I'm not sure if I'm reporting it correctly, like I've made bruscetta a couple times in the past week, and I've been just adding the thing in the database, but I'm not sure if that's doing it correctly, like some people consider bruscetta to be the tomato topping that ends up on the bread, some people consider it the bread and tomato combination, how do I know if the bruscetta item I'm adding from the database has the bread it's sitting on included in it or not and whether I should also be logging the piece of bread, etc.

Simple, anything your unsure of or is home made/cant find it in the food log : theres a little button at the top of the food log page that says 'recipes' Through this you can make your OWN meals, tell it how many servings it gives and it divides it all up nicely for you. I do this with my homemade pasta/chilli/cakes/icecream.... everything that i make from scratch.

MFP is a really easy thing to use once you get used to it, play around with buttons to see where it takes you.

What makes me giggle is for someone who works with computers/software both yourself and my husband dont like pressing buttons/playing with it. It wont break it completely you know! lol:laugh:
  • marinetteloser
    Options
    MFP is a really easy thing to use once you get used to it, play around with buttons to see where it takes you.

What makes me giggle is for someone who works with computers/software both yourself and my husband dont like pressing buttons/playing with it. It wont break it completely you know! lol:laugh:

I guess I'm "old". And by "old" I mean old computer technology wise. Like I see websites like this place and Facebook and whatnot, and I think, "oh god, these 'social' websites make me want to puke" and then I just don't really dig much deeper into the website than what seems absolutely necessary.

I wish I could find the picture but there's a funny cartoon I've seen that describes it pretty accurately, it has two panels in it and on the left one it says something like.....
    ( 1990 )
    Guy laughing at a nerd says: "What, you're dialed in to a BBS forum talking to people online? What's the matter with you, don't you have any friends?"

...and the other panel is...
    ( 2010 )
    Guy laughing at a nerd says: "What, you don't have an account on Facebook? What's the matter with you don't you, have any friends?"

...and that's basically where I'm coming from, these kinds of sites were my sort of thing to be into 20 years ago, not so much anymore, because I'm kind of at the "I can't believe people haven't moved on from that kind of thing in the 90s" stage. lol
  • sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You are eating way too little.