Trouble breathing while engaging my core

Options
keekop
keekop Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I started my fitness journey 2 months ago. I hired a Physical trainer 2 days per week, play competitive USTA tennis (4.0) and also "wog" (walk/jog) 2-3 days a week (wogging 4-5.5 miles each time) pushing a stroller. My problem is this: it is so hard for me to breath when I am "engaging my core" why?! Some of the sit up/ core excersize my PT gives me as well as engaging my core during wogging are impossible because I cannot breathe during them. She thinks it's because I'm not used to engaging those muscle and that I need to really exaggerate the breathing until my core gets stronger. I agree but thought I would throw it out there. Any advice?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Seems that if you need the advice of strangers over the advice of your PT, you might have a problem with your PT. Is there a reason you're second guessing this person?

Do your core exercises and concentrate on breathing through out. It does get easier. I find concentration on breathing makes core exercises more "doable".
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I agree with pondee. It's also easier to breath once you develop some core strength. I remember the first time I took a pilates class several years ago and thought I was going to die the whole class and couldn't believe that people could breath during the exercises let alone follow the instructor's cues for when to breath in versus out. I also find it easier to engage my core if I think about pulling my belly button in to the back of my spine. In some exercises, engaging your core also requires a slight tucking of your hips for a flat back, but your trainer should provide you cues.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Can you maintain a plank and breathe? That is a good test as you will be engaging your core assuming your back is flat. Perhaps you just need to train your body to learn how to do it. Even if you are physically active, if it is something new to the body, it takes time to learn it and make it second nature.

If you are at your desk, try flexing your abs and breathe normally. In time, you will build a mind-muscle connection and become proficient at it.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    yeah, it will happen. When I started doing core stuff it hurt to breath!! It will stop once you build up some strength .
  • keekop
    keekop Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    holding a deep breath actually helps with core engagement, so when you exhale you lose some engagement. i think that's what you mean by its hard to breath. You need to find a breathing rhythm that works with whatever exercise you are doing. So your core is tightest when you have inhaled and less tight when you exhale. You get better at this with practice.